Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I have old fading eyes I agree, but I think the problem is you have young eyes. You were, what, 13 or 14 back at the time you refer to, and those would have been very exciting times for you but that is clouding your viewpoint. Not once can I remember any Premier League Club showing any interest in Martin, because he really hasn’t got the potential to step up.

I bet you started to type something about setting up a system to suit his strengths, but they don’t do that in the Premier League. One player isn’t made pivotal, whether you are a Mo Salah, a Kun Aquero or Pierre Aubeyemang.

I don’t hate Chris Martin.  I cheered him on as loudly as you from the terraces in 2013/16, and I am grateful for his efforts for the club. But he ain’t all that mate really. He is about on par with Steve Howard and Rob Hulse, both of whom played well for the club, and probably would have scored more with the 2013/14 squad supporting them.

Don’t get hung up about your drinking either. You are 21, you are on your own in foreign lands, in a city full of beautiful women. Just let Chrissy go, and get out and find yourself some new striking talents.

I don't recall Bamford being linked with a Premier League move last season either.

I think you're mistaking me for a die-hard Chris Martin fan. I'm really not. I think, for various reasons (some perfectly understandable, such as his illness), he's been fairly average since 2015, and I'm certainly not in the same camp as @RoyMac5. And I've never called for us to build a team around him (or any player) because it's simply impractical and short-sighted. It just so happens that we played a system that he slotted into perfectly (or perhaps influenced McClaren's thinking) in 2013-15, and I think he would have been effective in the Premier League in those years by virtue of the fact that the system suited him and the rest of our squad perfectly.

As for Steve Howard and Rob Hulse, I think that's a shocking take in all honesty. Both were good players that might well have scored goals in those seasons, but they were a million miles away from his technical ability.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't recall Bamford being linked with a Premier League move last season either.

I think you're mistaking me for a die-hard Chris Martin fan. I'm really not. I think, for various reasons (some perfectly understandable, such as his illness), he's been fairly average since 2015, and I'm certainly not in the same camp as @RoyMac5. And I've never called for us to build a team around him (or any player) because it's simply impractical and short-sighted. It just so happens that we played a system that he slotted into perfectly (or perhaps influenced McClaren's thinking) in 2013-15, and I think he would have been effective in the Premier League in those years by virtue of the fact that the system suited him and the rest of our squad perfectly.

As for Steve Howard and Rob Hulse, I think that's a shocking take in all honesty. Both were good players that might well have scored goals in those seasons, but they were a million miles away from his technical ability.

Right young man. Stop it now. Get out and see life, and let’s not ambush the Abu Derby thread. Really hope you are having a great time. Catch up on Zoom soon. ??

Just now, i-Ram said:

Right young man. Stop it now. Get out and see life, and let’s not ambush the Abu Derby thread. Really hope you are having a great time. Catch up on Zoom soon. ??

Cheers.

Clubs and pubs shut last Wednesday so think that's most of the fun over for 2020. Hopefully things will open up again after after Christmas. If not, I've had a cracking three months.

36 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I bet you started to type something about setting up a system to suit his strengths, but they don’t do that in the Premier League. One player isn’t made pivotal, whether you are a Mo Salah, a Kun Aquero or Pierre Aubeyemang.

Of course they do, and that's because they can mostly afford more than one player per position and players are 'willing' to sit on the bench. Most team have a preferred style of playing, look at Spurs when Kane is injured, etc. We could never afford to have a main striker and another of similar quality sat on the bench, not in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course they do, and that's because they can mostly afford more than one player per position and players are 'willing' to sit on the bench. Most team have a preferred style of playing, look at Spurs when Kane is injured, etc. We could never afford to have a main striker and another of similar quality sat on the bench, not in the Championship.

I acknowledge your post Roy, but I really don’t want to engage in another Chris Martin debate, especially on this thread. 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I acknowledge your post Roy, but I really don’t want to engage in another Chris Martin debate, especially on this thread. 

It wasn't about him per se but about your opinion that Prem teams don't set up around one main player - ie Kane, etc.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It wasn't about him per se but about your opinion that Prem teams don't set up around one main player - ie Kane, etc.

Roy, come on, get this thread back on topic. Based on what you know, are you happy that we might have a new owner from the UAE? Will you be happy to see Mel on his way?

3 hours ago, wollatonram said:

You would hope so but I am still yet to be convinced they have enough money to let their money do the talking.

We need to be run sensibly

I'm optimistic about the investment for lots of reasons

He is an experienced businessman, not naive     

He tried to buy L'pool and Ncstle so has PL ambitions 

He doesn't want his cousin smirking across the marble floors of the Abu Dhabi hotels at the owner of a mere Championship club 

He will know from family gossip how much Mansour has put into City Group and how much he thinks the club (clubs) are now worth - the Manc journalists are saying Mansour has made big money and thinks he will make much more. John Henry, courtesy of Klopp, has now made bucket loads if you listen to some of the valuations mentioned in connection w the possible Toulouse link up

Khaled will be familiar with Mansour's ambitions, ie: slim down the PL to reduce number of fixtures and increase media revenues for the top clubs, restructure the CL to increase the clubs' media share, capitalise on the explosion of interest in the PL/CL in Asia and the ME, sell club media rights locally and merchandise (look at the Thai Foxes), tap into lots of Asia/ME sponsorship

Mansour has Chinese (as well as US) investors on board which helps him sell rights in that market and find local sponsors. Maybe Khaled will bring in Chinese investors. 

Look at the Geordie press - they are a much bigger club than we are and are GUTTED we have got this deal.   

OK, it's not at all easy to do what we hope he is planning, it certainly takes time. And it is not just about money. But without money you're an also ran.

Let's be excited about this    COYR

Chris Martin is up there with the best players weve had since I've been watching in 2009. Best players based upon their peak ability more than consistency imo are the following:

1.Will Hughes.

2. Rooney-based off his best football early on

3. Mount 

4.Chris Martin 

5.Bryson 

6. Tomori 

7. Wilson 

8. Bueno - was class for a short time

9. Commons 

10. Savage 

10. Only joking,  Jamie Ward

Martin is definitely up there, not sure exactly on the order and I have bias for more attacking players so possibly Wisdom or Keogh at his best could be in there. 

1 minute ago, Jram said:

Apologies, I haven’t read much of this thread but are people thinking this takeover will make us a champions league team, a wolves type Europa League team or make little material difference ultimately ?

My hope is probably wolves level but that can still result in option to grow a good team under good management and plan. Smaller, less wealthy teams have done similar.

I think I read elsewhere they will be similar to Sheff Utd owners who have spent a few bob in most recent window and have helped them reach the promised land

4 minutes ago, Jram said:

Apologies, I haven’t read much of this thread but are people thinking this takeover will make us a champions league team, a wolves type Europa League team or make little material difference ultimately ?

It's all guess work.

I'd take a new manager, funds to be able to strengthen the team adequately in Jan and the summer and then a decent crack at it next season.

I still think though, spending 60 million to sit in the championship and pick up 2 million or so losses a month makes no sense, so you should hope we make a good go at getting up into the Prem.

Archived