Bournemouth v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

We've got 67% of our total points off two teams who were in the Prem last season.

Yes lets sack Cocu and appoint someone who no one else has though worthy of a job, maybe R2D2 is twiddling his thumbs?

Four points away to two recently relegated sides is good. Just imagine how much better it would look if we could beat Luton, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Blackburn and Forest - all sides that are currently 12th or lower.

Grinding out results only looks good if you do the business elsewhere.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jourdan said:

Four points away to two recently relegated sides is good. Just imagine how much better it would look if we could beat Luton, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Blackburn and Forest - all sides that are currently 12th or lower.

Grinding out results only looks good if you do the business elsewhere.

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh? 

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh? 

Bear in mind we have taken 6 points from 27. No one is going to be creaming themselves at 4 hard earned points versus relegated sides when we have dropped routine points everywhere else.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Come off it, look at the positions of our players in the second half. When Bournemouth had possession we had everyone in our own final third. No attempt to press like we were before we scored. You’ve got no chance sitting that deep for 70 minutes.

You don’t think Bournemouth were comming right back into it before the break going direct?

1 minute ago, Archied said:

You don’t think Bournemouth were comming right back into it before the break going direct?

They were, but that was largely down to us allowing it to happen. We didn’t try and regain any control of the game. Plenty of times we could have brought the ball down and played a bit, but we kept taking the “safe” option of smashing it clear, straight back to them. 

Frustrating...in a word.

First 30 mins, we were excellent. Fantastic pressing, incisive passing, a few chances & the goal...Bournemouth literally didnt have a sniff. 

The next bit is harder to judge. No doubt we started to sit deeper but I think a key reason for that was the appalling ball retention. This started 10 mins before the break & continued throughout the second half. Basic passes miscued, heavy touches, an inability to shield/hold the ball...it was shocking & meant they were constantly retaking possession & then breaking onto us. It was absolutely no surprise when we finally conceded.

There's also some criticism on here of Cocu's subs which I totally agree with. Waghorn was blowing from about 70 mins & Lawrence was becoming increasingly casual in the last half hour. No idea why Kazim wasnt brought on to hold the ball, why Sibley wasnt brought on earlier to offer a fresh threat or why Wisdom came on.

As a general point. I think its time to move beyond the 5 at the back. Shinnie & Knight were great again but its too defensive with that shape & current personnel. Going into a run of games we need to win & should be aiming to win, we need more bodies/quality in midfield. Really disappointed Bird wasnt even deemed good enough for the bench today, we could really do with his control in the centre of the park.

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

They were, but that was largely down to us allowing it to happen. We didn’t try and regain any control of the game. Plenty of times we could have brought the ball down and played a bit, but we kept taking the “safe” option of smashing it clear, straight back to them. 

I was talking more in terms of why our player may have stopped pressing high up as much and dropped back a bit ? Do you not think that we forced them into changing the way they wanted to play by our good play and they changed it up ?

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

I was talking more in terms of why our player may have stopped pressing high up as much and dropped back a bit ? Do you not think that we forced them into changing the way they wanted to play by our good play and they changed it up ?

Initially yes, but I thought they stopped going direct once we stopped the press. At which point we should have started pressing again. And so on, there’s got to be that balance imo. Got to be intelligent enough to know when to press and when not to - we don’t seem to be capable of making that judgement.

I agree that we forced them into a change of style by our good play in the first 20 minutes, which makes it even more frustrating we didn’t keep the standards up! To go from the best we’ve played all season to arguably some of the worst, just like that, is concerning imo.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

We've got 67% of our total points off two teams who were in the Prem last season.

Yes lets sack Cocu and appoint someone who no one else has though worthy of a job, maybe R2D2 is twiddling his thumbs?

Ask roboto for his opinion.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

And that includes the 3 points that we got at Norwich ?

Where we were incredibly lucky and won thanks to a world class free kick from Rooney ?

I’d prefer to look at the statistic of 6 points from a possible 27 !!

Nevermind the shambles at the end of last season...

a word for Jason knight and Graeme Shinnie

i gave Shinnie MoM because he scored but knight was the best central midfielder on the pitch in terms of his all round game.

They were better than Brentford’s pair who cost over £20m

Overall we deserved the point. I have seen written here that Bournemouth are not a good team, I am not having that, they have the nucleus of their Premier League squad, we made them look very ordinary for the first 25 minutes and at other times in the match. With us defending deep in the 2nd half they put us under immense pressure and Marshall saved us a few times BUT that's what good teams do when they are behind, they attack and will get chances. We certainly had our chances too, that goal line clearance must have been so close to being in and we had at least 4 chances in the box where the wrong pass was chosen and could have meant a goal on another day.
I am still hanging in there with Cocu but its getting very predictable this capitulation every game. For me in the 2nd half the midfield bar Shinnie went missing at times with the linkage gone from the forwards as they tired, at 60 mins for me the game was crying out for  Richards & Sibley to replace Lawrence & Waggy. Holmes was not the right guy to come on, he has not been good since he got injured last season, remember we were all purring about his performances in the first half of last season and I believe he will come good again but now is not the time to throw him on to change a game.

In the end Shinnie was my MOM, Marshall a close second.

4 hours ago, LincsRam said:

I have seen written here that Bournemouth are not a good team, I am not having that, they have the nucleus of their Premier League squad.....

Similar to Watford, I was surprised at how mediocre they were. They have cost a few £££££

Mepham  £10m, Billing £14m, danjuma £16m, Solanke £20m,

Archived