Crucial couple of weeks

Eley1508

Seen a lot of negativity over the recruitment amongst other things over the last couple of days & whilst the striker situation is far from ideal I genuinely think we’ve had a good window - Ibe coming into the frame in the coming weeks, Jozwiak will become a top player, Byrne & Marshall look astute signings and Clarke rejoining for the season means that whilst results haven’t been at all what we should be wanting, the shape of the team will be interesting when players are back & fit.

With Colin Kazim-Richards I find it hard to grasp that before he’s even kicked a ball we’re already writing him off, Chris Martin pre-permanent deal was someone who many didn’t fancy & whilst at 34 I get why there’s some bafflement as to why we’ve signed him but Cocu and the management clearly saw positives in the weeks of training. 

Big couple of weeks for the club, and it’s probably for the best seeing social media in recent weeks that the games are still without any toxic atmosphere within PP. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you think will start up front tomorrow? Options look limited after Cocu’s conference today

Waggers just for the bench, kazim-Richards not fit yet and Rooney our for three games 

Presumably he will have to try Whittaker or JHI or someone out of position (I guess maybe Lawrence)

1 hour ago, Jram said:

Who do you think will start up front tomorrow? Options look limited after Cocu’s conference today

Waggers just for the bench, kazim-Richards not fit yet and Rooney our for three games 

Presumably he will have to try Whittaker or JHI or someone out of position (I guess maybe Lawrence)

I would go with Hector-Ingram although is Duncan worth a gamble? I know he was meant to be in the 23's for a few weeks but he played for England's U20's a few weeks ago. Lawrence as a false 9 could be a shout.

9 hours ago, Eley1508 said:

I would go with Hector-Ingram although is Duncan worth a gamble? I know he was meant to be in the 23's for a few weeks but he played for England's U20's a few weeks ago. Lawrence as a false 9 could be a shout.

I’m not convinced Duncan is fit and Cocu hasn’t even mentioned him but it was odd that he played for England so maybe he’s going to sneak him up on Huddersfield lol

12 hours ago, Jram said:

It could well be a great opportunity for JHI or Whittaker, and if they take it, be one of those occasions where a manager is forced into a situation that he didn’t want to be, but happens unexpectedly to find the solution to his problems (in our case scoring goals).

Let’s hope so...

13 hours ago, Eley1508 said:

Seen a lot of negativity over the recruitment amongst other things over the last couple of days & whilst the striker situation is far from ideal I genuinely think we’ve had a good window - Ibe coming into the frame in the coming weeks, Jozwiak will become a top player, Byrne & Marshall look astute signings and Clarke rejoining for the season means that whilst results haven’t been at all what we should be wanting, the shape of the team will be interesting when players are back & fit.

With Colin Kazim-Richards I find it hard to grasp that before he’s even kicked a ball we’re already writing him off, Chris Martin pre-permanent deal was someone who many didn’t fancy & whilst at 34 I get why there’s some bafflement as to why we’ve signed him but Cocu and the management clearly saw positives in the weeks of training. 

Big couple of weeks for the club, and it’s probably for the best seeing social media in recent weeks that the games are still without any toxic atmosphere within PP. 

This is what worries. If we’ve signed him based of what’s been seen in training, I worry. Phil and a large percentage of the fan base are on different pages.

I’ve lost count of games I’ve watched and just through to myself, we look so poor. We’re slow, un-inventive and way too cautious only for Phil to say “we played a great game”. When you have virtually no shots on target at home and your manager is saying we played a great game, I seriously worry. Phil, your players are playing with weights around them, take the weights off them and let them be themselves for a little bit... it might just save you your job.

13 hours ago, Jram said:

I would like to think he will give Hector-Ingram a go, but I can see another defensive line up. Probably Lawrence through the middle with Knight and Jozwiak on the wings.

If we stick with 343, I would like to see Lawrence and Jozwiak support Hector-Ingram, with Knight and Shinnie battling in the middle. While Bird would bring an element of calm passing in the middle, playing 3 at the back means one of your CB's can take up the role of distributor. Evans does this well, while Clarke and Te Wierik (I assume) are more than capable. 

13 hours ago, Jram said:

I do find that a little strange re CKR

he has been training with us two weeks prior to signing ... were another week Since he signed and u would hope as a 34 yo professional footballer Looking for perhaps a final contract he’d have been keeping himself Ticking over 

Cocu's theories on whether players are fit to play, are in the right place to play, and if they understand the way we play both amuse and astound me. 

Can they run, can they kick a ball, can they last 45 minutes without damaging their rehabilitation? If so get them in. We need a spark.

Lawrence is my bet to start, but Im sure there are managers who would put Waggers or CKR in.

I think it’s a bit concerning that a good portion of our signings have arrived at the club needing weeks and weeks to be ready to play.

I would have thought they would have signed Kazim-Richards to be available straight away and give us an immediate boost. We really do need it. If not, why not just announce the signing when he’s ready to play?

It sounds like Ibe probably won’t be ready for another few weeks too if he is only just getting game time with the under 23s this weekend.

Did no-one tell the club the season starts in September, not November?

We can’t afford to be giving teams a 10-game head start.

17 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Hate to come across as an apologist for Cocu but he needed Rooney’s absence like a hole in the head. Did he run over a black cat or summat ? It’s one thing after another for the poor bloke.

It might just prove to be a blessing. We'll see later tonight. Cocu might be in a worse position if we happen to play well without him. Is Rooney guaranteed a starting spot when he is able to return?

Archived