Advice and suggestions from diverse angles please

jono

The great thing about DCFC fans is that we aren’t all the same but most of us have lived some life and have a rational viewpoint 

So ... There is a knob head across the road trading second hand vans from his flat. My road was probably posh leafy suburb when Clough was winning titles but it has changed over time as things do. We’ve had the local cannabis farm and raid, we’ve had developments of flats in former gardens but regardless it is a nice place to live most of the time for everyone of very diverse backgrounds. Not matey particularly but never an issue with neighbours in a give and take world. I know most of my neighbours by sight rather than name but everyone is on waving and nodding terms

This bloke deals in old transits and the like, has anything between 2 and 5 items in stock ( parked all over the road, on the pavement and whatever ) then there is the regular procession of buyers that sit on my garden wall having a fag while they wait for laddy boy to turn up in his Range Rover. I found him on Autotrader and he has a handful of 1 star  reviews. 

I am a live and let live sort of bloke, early days I helped him slide a door back on when it fell off as he was driving away. But despite asking politely he parks them opposite my drive or in Front of the window and basically couldn’t give a F about anyone. We had a burst water main and one of the vans was right over the water board shut off point which meant more aggro. I am pretty sure you can’t trade vehicles from a residential address and am getting pretty grumpy about it.

Do I just go meh .. every one has to earn a living chill out, don’t be an old goat, live with it. ?

Or do I contact council, police, trading standards and be a bit vindictive. .. Not my nature but I’m getting fed up now. ? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any other neighbours feeling the same way, might be worth mentioning it in passing to get their opinion before saying anything, as if you or another party speak on behalf of a collective group it may have more gratas .

If not perhaps just a polite word suggesting your peed off and fed up with ect, ect and would it be possible to refrain from in the hope of compromise.

Perhaps neighbours / yourself could park vehicles in said places preventing him from parking outside your house.

Are these vehicles taxed ,easy to check on government gateway website.just put reg number in and shows if taxed.  If not just report suspicious vehicle parked up to police ,shouldn't take them long to tow it away .

Good luck ,let us know how you get on and what You manage to do  ,would really pee me off ,so don't think your being unreasonable.

Thanks everyone. I think I am right to be peed off but don’t want to be a stereotypical ranter and fly off the handle. It isn’t easy to make your way in a tough environment. 

if it settles down A bit I’ll leave it, but any more stretch and I think I’ll make some noises. ... it doesn’t help that he he has a pony tail and tucks his jeans in his cowboy boots. This alone is worthy of spluttering outrage ??. Not that I’m judgmental or anything. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Thanks everyone. I think I am right to be peed off but don’t want to be a stereotypical ranter and fly off the handle. It isn’t easy to make your way in a tough environment. 

if it settles down A bit I’ll leave it, but any more stretch and I think I’ll make some noises. ... it doesn’t help that he he has a pony tail and tucks his jeans in his cowboy boots. This alone is worthy of spluttering outrage ??. Not that I’m judgmental or anything. 

You didn't mention earlier that he tucked his jeans into his cowboy boots.

Sadly that means he's one of the hardest men alive, and everyone he knows is hard too.

I'd forget reporting him, and get a chamois out and clean his vans for him, while apologising for using his forecourt as a parking lot.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Arson... set fire to his vans........ that'll learn him.

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

Kindly and calmly point out to him that it would be a real shame if something were to happen to his vehicles and then squeeze him for protection money.  The vans will be gone in the night.

I'd go with a @Mostyn6 & @ramit combo. Set fire his current stock then menacingly point out that you know some lads who could ensure no more hassles for a not insignificant commission. Collect a few payments then torch every van he's got again along with his Chelsea tractor whilst sitting on your wall drinking Buckfast from the bottle and singing Auld Lang Syne or something equally cheery. Job's a good'un.

1 hour ago, jono said:

It's pretty obvious that you know he posts on here and you have your suspicions. The pony tail and the jeans tucked in will get the message through! I wonder who it is....

I'd go out and buy 8 x LWB Sprinter vans, all between 3 and 6 years old, and park them all down his stretch of road, then draw out all my savings from the bank, and sit on my garden wall wafting the dosh in the air, shouting "loads-a-money"!

(Ask for all fivers, so it looks more!)

14 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd go out and buy 8 x LWB Sprinter vans, all between 3 and 6 years old, and park them all down his stretch of road, then draw out all my savings from the bank, and sit on my garden wall wafting the dosh in the air, shouting "loads-a-money"!

(Ask for all fivers, so it looks more!)

The usual stock range is 04 / 05 plate Vivaro’s with 150,000. / 200,000 miles and lots of writing on the windscreens. Usually white but there’s a nice blue one with a least 3 wheel trims and natty gloss black finished tyres if anyone’s interested 

16 minutes ago, jono said:

The usual stock range is 04 / 05 plate Vivaro’s with 150,000. / 200,000 miles and lots of writing on the windscreens. Usually white but there’s a nice blue one with a least 3 wheel trims and natty gloss black finished tyres if anyone’s interested 

Get yourself a can of spray paint and paint a Ram logo on the side of each one (do remember not to miss the eye out). They'll still be there in the morning but at least you will have a nicer view.

On 08/10/2020 at 19:48, reverendo de duivel said:

Get onto HMRC mate.

They love cracking down on unregistered motor traders trying to make a few quid, easy collar and all that. 

Especially as it's commercial vehicle trading, they'll be all over it.

Casually mention that you've been told he is selling people red diesel too, anything to get them interested in contacting him. 

Even a phone call from HMRC and he'll crap himself

7 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Casually mention that you've been told he is selling people red diesel too, anything to get them interested in contacting him. 

Even a phone call from HMRC and he'll crap himself

I am so stodgy and proper about some things, bit of me doesn’t really want to sneak and be an outraged Derby sort of bloke, The red diesel thing is another one. 4 doors up, 15 years back I was walking the dog early one morning before work. There is a neighbour casually filling up his car from a 20 ltr opaque plastic Jerry can full of red. .. my god Carruthers ! I didn’t believe that sort of thing went on in “normal“ places ( Then) I kind of grew up that day ?

7 minutes ago, jono said:

I am so stodgy and proper about some things, bit of me doesn’t really want to sneak and be an outraged Derby sort of bloke, The red diesel thing is another one. 4 doors up, 15 years back I was walking the dog early one morning before work. There is a neighbour casually filling up his car from a 20 ltr opaque plastic Jerry can full of red. .. my god Carruthers ! I didn’t believe that sort of thing went on in “normal“ places ( Then) I kind of grew up that day ?

That's how I'd be. Grumble away to myself and not do anything even if it makes my life miserable.

Knowing one day I'll snap, and kick the jack away while he's changing a wheel.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

That's how I'd be. Grumble away to myself and not do anything even if it makes my life miserable.

Knowing one day I'll snap, and kick the jack away while he's changing a wheel.

That’s the scary thing about being like us. We know we aren’t door mats, but we also don’t want to be something else. We then spend hours arguing with our own conscience and wrestling with the dilemma of what constitutes “reasonable” 

54 minutes ago, jono said:

That’s the scary thing about being like us. We know we aren’t door mats, but we also don’t want to be something else. We then spend hours arguing with our own conscience and wrestling with the dilemma of what constitutes “reasonable” 

There's a price to pay for being decent I'm afraid. 

I'd do virtually anything to be reasonable, but I can't help but feel envious of those who don't give a monkeys about how their actions impact others at times, how great must it be to only care about yourself and sod everyone else!

Things do tend to sort themselve though, the meek shall inherit the earth and all that.

Archived