Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

9 minutes ago, biellaram said:

I thought Boris and Ursula agreed to delay negotiations by 1 month therefore meaning that for football - January deals would scrape through?

That's news to me. As far as I know Boris has steadfastly refused to consider any sort of delay.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Seems like very few like Austin but I'd be more than happy to have him here on loan. Can certainly do a decent job for us once bedded in.

Yes, me too, Loan seems right given age. He has the classic 1 in 2 games over a career that for me is the benchmark for a striker to be "great" 

40 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

From what i understand it would not be a loan , WBA will release him and we will negotiate a short term deal until January. But who knows ?

Can’t see us paying him anywhere near his current wages so not sure why Austin would do this unless we are prepared to offer the sort of long term deal that we wouldn’t/couldn’t offer to CM.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Surely if we were to take on wages at this level and offer a two year deal, we would have been better of keeping our Bristol Brethren who I doubt would be on that wage.

I can't see this happening on those wages.

Problem with Martin was he wanted a two year contract which when he has reported to have a problem with his stomach (cant remember what it is exactly). This illness ended Darren Fletchers career and last season he struggled to play 2 games a week to manage it. Dont get me wrong hes still one of the top strikers in the championship ability wise but for us to shell out on a two year deal with that type of illness would not make sense. At least in Austin we will be getting a striker that can play almost every game. Personally I would have been happier with Durson he looked a real handful and a good link up player.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Surely if we were to take on wages at this level and offer a two year deal, we would have been better of keeping our Bristol Brethren who I doubt would be on that wage.

I can't see this happening on those wages.

Problem with Martin was he wanted a two year contract which when he has reported to have a problem with his stomach (cant remember what it is exactly). This illness ended Darren Fletchers career and last season he struggled to play 2 games a week to manage it. Dont get me wrong hes still one of the top strikers in the championship ability wise but for us to shell out on a two year deal with that type of illness would not make sense. At least in Austin we will be getting a striker that can play almost every game. Personally I would have been happier with Durson he looked a real handful and a good link up player.

13 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Can’t see us paying him anywhere near his current wages so not sure why Austin would do this unless we are prepared to offer the sort of long term deal that we wouldn’t/couldn’t offer to CM.

Maybe suits both parties , Austin might want games in the hope that if he gets goals might get back to the Prem in Jan to a club needing goals and DCFC get a short term fix until they get the forward/s they want in Jan ?

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Maybe suits both parties , Austin might want games in the hope that if he gets goals might get back to the Prem in Jan to a club needing goals and DCFC get a short term fix until they get the forward/s they want in Jan ?

He may also see a £35k+ a week over 2 years potentially is better than 70k over one as he'll take more of it home spreading the tax over two years and put himself in the shop window for a couple of years rather than becoming a forgotten man on the bench at WBA. 

Yes he was probably not first choice since we bid for the chap from Germany. I wouldn't write him off though. Had one good season in the premier league but he's not done much since. Scored loads of goals in this division though, he is an ideal player. If we're adamant of not playing to Marriotts strength of playing the ball down the line into space then Austin is a great loan deal.

36 minutes ago, chadlad said:

We did offer Martin a contract but Martin wanted a minimum of 2 years which we didn't want to give him Charlie Austin is a class better then Martin as well! Happy to see this deal coming in

51 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

We did offer Martin a contract but Martin wanted a minimum of 2 years which we didn't want to give him Charlie Austin is a class better then Martin as well! Happy to see this deal coming in

But Martin is also a very class act above no replacement !

Just now, Curtains said:

They still have 2 weeks to get Austin !

Indeed.  Everyone panicking, thinking we need to get it done, are drinking the Sky Sports News cool-aide.  Tonight is the closure of the European transfer window.  

27 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That account is genuinely worse than bloody Barry Walsh.

I hate Twitter transfer accounts.  Until I hear it from Alan Nixon, it's fiction...

My Saints mate said he was so unfit he couldn't even go 20 minutes by the end of his time with them. I'm not sure if he's sorted himself out while warming the bench and the treatment room at West Brom, but this one just seems a bit odd compared to other signing this window.

He has a great goals per game/minutes ratio, but I'm not sure if he's the focal point/link up player that the fans think we need. I'd hope that there's another option we've not heard about happening if Dursun isn't going to happen.

Archived