v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad to choose from: Roos, Marshall, Ravas, Wisdom, te Wierik, Davies, Evans, Clarke, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Whitttaker, Marriott, JBrown, Shonibare, (other U23/18s)
May be fit: Holmes, Rooney, Waghorn

With the players fit enough to start (7 defenders and 6 senior mids/forwards) I'd back 5 at the back, but Reading usually play 433 so a back 4 would make more sense. It's also a tough choice as to rewarding Roos for his penalty heroics in the cup, or start the keeper we signed to be first choice.

Marshall
Wisdom   te Wierik   Clarke   Buchanan
Bird   Shinnie
Whittaker   Sibley   Knight
Marriott

Subs: Roos, Davies, Forsyth, Evans, JBrown, Shonibare, Waghorn

I think we will lose.  I have seen nothing in the Manager or the available squad that leads me to a conclusion that there will a significant improvement in what we saw at the end of the season, friendlies and Barrow.  I won't moan about it because there is no point.  When we have a more senior side available and we are still in the 26 passes sideways and backwards then maybe.

Hope to be wrong I really do

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Squad to choose from: Roos, Marshall, Ravas, Wisdom, te Wierik, Davies, Evans, Clarke, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Whitttaker, Marriott, JBrown, Shonibare, (other U23/18s)
May be fit: Holmes, Rooney, Waghorn

With the players fit enough to start (7 defenders and 6 senior mids/forwards) I'd back 5 at the back, but Reading usually play 433 so a back 4 would make more sense. It's also a tough choice as to rewarding Roos for his penalty heroics in the cup, or start the keeper we signed to be first choice.

Marshall
Bird   Shinnie
Marriott

Not many goals in there currently is there? I think Knight is our leading goal scorer from last season and he hardly plays in his best position so it’s time for Marriott to start earning his money ! 

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Currently its looking to be a more depressing season than last year,  no real attacking quality we looke shocking against barrow , unless we bring in some of the names mentioned its going to be a poor season

We will sign players, no doubt about it. How good they are, well, anyone's guess. We've seen players come in we didn't expect much of and flourish. The majority that have come in and we've expected something of have then gone on to underwhelm. 

The key is the development of the young players. Knight, Bird, Buchanan, Whittaker and Sibley in particular. If all five of them step up another gear then we'll naturally be better than last year purely through player progression. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Bird and Sibley be two of the very best players in the division next season, equally I would understand if they were still going through their progression. We will know more going into the winter. I'd imagine they will pick up where they left off for the most part, improving each game. 

It's important not to confuse this game, where we are hobbling into with the Derby team that will be playing for the most part this season. The Barrow game was the example of just that. 

We have to remember that there is a ceiling on progression through coaching. In the final analysis natural talent is the determining factor as to what level a player can consistently perform at. For instance Louis Sibley looks to be a talent but as yet we don't know his natural ceiling. If for arguments sake its mid championship level he isn't going to power us up the table to promotion. (I know he cant do it on his own this is just an example) we need a balanced team team that can perform at top of the table level.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I think we will lose.  I have seen nothing in the Manager or the available squad that leads me to a conclusion that there will a significant improvement in what we saw at the end of the season, friendlies and Barrow.  I won't moan about it because there is no point.  When we have a more senior side available and we are still in the 26 passes sideways and backwards then maybe.

Hope to be wrong I really do

I see us in almost an identical position to the start of last sesson...plodding along with a gradual increase in form.

I'm quite surprised by how little we have progressed in the end with seemingly little continuity or increase in performance.

Prior to lockdown we were definitely improving....lots of goals and confidence but it seemed to completely fall away after that period and that has continued up to the start of the season.

The only way for this to radically change,in my opinion,is to get the new strike force (and especially a new number 9) in and operating as soon as possible to build the confidence quickly with strong performances and a new upbeat attitude....as it stands we seem to have a lethargic squad who,if Cocu isn't careful,will start the season in the same fashion to how we ended the last.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I see us in almost an identical position to the start of last sesson...plodding along with a gradual increase in form.

I'm quite surprised by how little we have progressed in the end with seemingly little continuity or increase in performance.

Prior to lockdown we were definitely improving....lots of goals and confidence but it seemed to completely fall away after that period and that has continued up to the start of the season.

The only way for this to radically change,in my opinion,is to get the new strike force (and especially a new number 9) in and operating as soon as possible to build the confidence quickly with strong performances and a new upbeat attitude....as it stands we seem to have a lethargic squad who,if Cocu isn't careful,will start the season in the same fashion to how we ended the last.

Creativity from the middle...

image.png.8f14ca888b0f09ad5532c88d5ff677c1.png

The odd wonder goal...

image.thumb.png.e7d6471f15fcba90c4171c2f48c7740b.png

Missing our 3 top scorers from last season, with limited game time for our 4th and 5th top scorers.

Once those players are back, with depth added from new signings, things will feel so much better

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Creativity from the middle...

image.png.8f14ca888b0f09ad5532c88d5ff677c1.png

The odd wonder goal...

image.thumb.png.e7d6471f15fcba90c4171c2f48c7740b.png

Missing our 3 top scorers from last season, with limited game time for our 4th and 5th top scorers.

Once those players are back, with depth added from new signings, things will feel so much better

Definitely,I just hope we don't have to wait until the middle of the season until it falls into place...playing catch-up isn't a recipe for success in this division.

I think we are in for a very poor start, if this was our actual team for the season with no signings coming in and no players back from injury we would probably go down. Hopefully we bring in some players ASAP because the Luton game will be a right off as well if we don't act quickly, Rooney may be back by then but that won't save us I don't think. 

52 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It looks like you are right I fear.  The upturn came from the Rooney affect at least in part and he was the one the suffered must by the concertinaed season at the end.  So maybe better use of him may produce the extra intelligence currently missing .  Defence looks a little stronger so maybe we can weather the storm better.  We need a goalscorer obviously and somebody that can compliment Marriott.  When you think back to how he was at the beginning what a natural goalscorer.  It is not just the fitness that has been his problem suddenly he couldn't find the net, over and over again.  1v1 I would bet my house on him but not now, maybe £1 max.  e need someone who will scare the pants off the opposition at set pieces, a big lad that can also help out in defence.  I am not suggesting for a second that I want Cocu gone but I want to see him produce a team that can play effective forward passing football for at least a small part of each game

4 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think we are in for a very poor start, if this was our actual team for the season with no signings coming in and no players back from injury we would probably go down. Hopefully we bring in some players ASAP because the Luton game will be a right off as well if we don't act quickly, Rooney may be back by then but that won't save us I don't think. 

Please tell me you’re not a marriage guidance councillor 

It’s a new dawn it’s a new day. Optimism fuels my soul. Finish work early Sat if I’m needed at all, practice holding my tummy in so I can slide that perfect fitting shirt over my torso, adrenilin through my veins and we are gonna win our opening fixture with some delightful football. You’ll all be looking for shirts with Neeskins, Van de Kirkoff and Cruyff written above the numbers. Yeah baby this is football and I’m a Ram. WHEN SATURDAY COMES. 
#alwaysapositiveram 

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall
Bird   Shinnie
Marriott

That would be my choice too @Ghost of Clough ... the best we can put out with the squad as it is IMO. And I really hope that the 3 at the back that we used against Barrow doesn't appear again in a hurry.

Still holding out some hope that we'll see a couple of new faces for this game... that hope is now waning somewhat though.

16 minutes ago, SKRam said:

It’s a new dawn it’s a new day. Optimism fuels my soul. Finish work early Sat if I’m needed at all, practice holding my tummy in so I can slide that perfect fitting shirt over my torso, adrenilin through my veins and we are gonna win our opening fixture with some delightful football. You’ll all be looking for shirts with Neeskins, Van de Kirkoff and Cruyff written above the numbers. Yeah baby this is football and I’m a Ram. WHEN SATURDAY COMES. 
#alwaysapositiveram 

I'll be celebrating if we manage more than 2 shots on target. 

Archived