Bielik

RamNut

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people don't realise this so I think it needs to be said. Bielik is by far the best player we have.
He is an absolute force in midfield, a destroyer who can pass, dribble and win headers.
The common "problem" people say is that he fouls too much and gets too many yellows cards, that is a myth. He picked up 3 yellows and 1 red in 20 championship games last season, for a DM, that's nothing. He made 1.4 fouls a game in the championship last season, which was the 95th highest of all players last season.
If he's fully recovered from his injury, I am confident he will instantly be our best player. 

23 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Some people don't realise this so I think it needs to be said. Bielik is by far the best player we have.
He is an absolute force in midfield, a destroyer who can pass, dribble and win headers.
The common "problem" people say is that he fouls too much and gets too many yellows cards, that is a myth. He picked up 3 yellows and 1 red in 20 championship games last season, for a DM, that's nothing. He made 1.4 fouls a game in the championship last season, which was the 95th highest of all players last season.
If he's fully recovered from his injury, I am confident he will instantly be our best player. 

Didn’t exactly set the world alight before his injury though did he 

looked slow and off the pace of the game 

giving away fouls which lead to needless penalty’s and dangerous free kicks is kinda relevant ... I’m all for having an enforcer ... god we’ve lacked one for years but there’s ways of doing it and that still involves discipline 

talented for sure but I think he will need a proper pre season before we see anything like the player we want him to be 

got hauled off twice at half time in games one before he got sent off and then if I remember rightly the next game he did get sent off for an over the top challenge.

for me he looked slow and off the pace in midfield and at the back was prone to a needless rash foul 

jury is still out in him for me ... especially considering how much we shelled out on him 

20 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

looked slow and off the pace of the game 

giving away fouls which lead to needless penalty’s and dangerous free kicks is kinda relevant ... I’m all for having an enforcer ... god we’ve lacked one for years but there’s ways of doing it and that still involves discipline 

talented for sure but I think he will need a proper pre season before we see anything like the player we want him to be 

got hauled off twice at half time in games one before he got sent off and then if I remember rightly the next game he did get sent off for an over the top challenge.

for me he looked slow and off the pace in midfield and at the back was prone to a needless rash foul 

jury is still out in him for me ... especially considering how much we shelled out on him 

Don’t the stats @Jubbs just quoted refute this???

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Sorry did you just describe John Eustace?

He's the last time we had decent cover in a DM role and he was slow, often looked 'off the pace' of the game (that was happening further up the pitch) and was prone to a needless foul - But he was also the best (consistent) defensive cover we've had for years 

(now I'm all sad about the potential Thorne had again)

My worry for Bielik is that coming back from such a serious injury is difficult enough, but coming back into a struggling side and being expected to galvanise the team on top of that is a lot to ask.

The reality is that Bielik at almost 23 has played 30 games at this level. He is still raw, still inexperienced, still unproven. We can’t place massive expectations on him. We will need to give him as much patience, as much time, and as much TLC as the other young players like Sibley or Bird.

Bielik has obvious talent and obvious potential, but you can’t place the same burden on him as we did Will Hughes, for example.

When Will Hughes got injured in 2015 and we were all waiting for him to come back and lift the team, there was a massive difference. Will had played around 120 games at this level and had the mileage and the body of work to justify such expectations.

With Bielik, it is based on hope rather than any concrete evidence. Anyone expecting him to come back and be a key player this season I fear will be disappointed.

But 2021-22 could very well be his year.

that still involves discipline 

He had 3 yellows and 1 red in 20 games, that's nothing compared to other defensive midfielders.

giving away fouls which lead to needless penalty’s

He gave away 1 penalty.

got hauled off twice at half time

He was only substituted once at half time, Wigan away.

Do you want a midfielder to "set the world alight" as such? Did Eustace? You want a DM to do the simple things well, which Bielik evidently does, this opinion is BACKED UP by the stats. He's by far the best midfielder in the league in terms of challenges won per 90 and balls recovered per 90. Also, out of all the 183 players to attempt 25+ dribbles, Bielik had the best dribble success rate (86.7%) than any other Championship player this season. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

He had 3 yellows and 1 red in 20 games, that's nothing compared to other defensive midfielders.

He gave away 1 penalty.

He was only substituted once at half time, Wigan away.

Do you want a midfielder to "set the world alight" as such? Did Eustace? You want a DM to do the simple things well, which Bielik evidently does, this opinion is BACKED UP by the stats. He's by far the best midfielder in the league in terms of challenges won per 90 and balls recovered per 90. Also, out of all the 183 players to attempt 25+ dribbles, Bielik had the best dribble success rate (86.7%) than any other Championship player this season. 

Right Two things 

give me a younger John eustace every day of the week 

ur right midfielders don’t have to set the world alight to be an important cog of a successful side 

I was a huge eustace fan and the job he did .... huge .. so yer I certainly do appreicate that type of player 

secondly 

Your right He only gave away one penalty ... he only got one red card ...But he did get taken off at half time twice though 

once against Wigan for being so bad And off it and once in his return to charlton as he was one more reckless foul from getting sent off 

and this was all in how many games ??

talented God yes ... Really talented but has a long way to being anywhere near the finished article and the player we hope/want him to be or that some fans already think he is 

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

talented God yes ... Really talented but has a long way to being anywhere near the finished article and the player we hope/want him to be or that some fans already think he is

I just don't think that's true.

There's a narrative amongst those who've been purely, incessantly negative for the last however long (from speaking to you before I know you're not trying to be one of them) that the rest of us pointing out how much we've missed these players are claiming them to be saviours who do no wrong. It's just not the case.

Bielik has his faults, they were shown up during a period where out central defensive partnership consisted of Davies & Forsyth and the team were under extreme duress, but as you said yourself... god is he talented! I think the good outweighs the bad. He won't do it all on his own, but he'll improve the ovrall quality, and he posseses skills nobody else in the squad does.

He's essential for balance, but it's no guarantee we won't still have some awful results regardless of his individual displays, good or bad. It won't hurt though.

You'd think from reading this forum sometimes that we finished 21st in the table and stayed up on goal difference and hadn't put in a good performance all season. Unfortunately there are some posters on here who literally only see / emphasise the negative aspects of someone's play, and it completely defines that player from that point on in their minds.

7 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I realise it, we paid big money for Bielik  and so I expect him to be the best player on our books. Thing is, he's got to do it consistently on the pitch. I really hope when Bielik eventually returns, he can inspire a resurgence for the team (and the beleaguered Cocu). 

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

I just don't think that's true.

There's a narrative amongst those who've been purely, incessantly negative for the last however long (from speaking to you before I know you're not trying to be one of them) that the rest of us pointing out how much we've missed these players are claiming them to be saviours who do no wrong. It's just not the case.

Bielik has his faults, they were shown up during a period where out central defensive partnership consisted of Davies & Forsyth and the team were under extreme duress, but as you said yourself... god is he talented! I think the good outweighs the bad. He won't do it all on his own, but he'll improve the ovrall quality, and he posseses skills nobody else in the squad does.

He's essential for balance, but it's no guarantee we won't still have some awful results regardless of his individual displays, good or bad. It won't hurt though.

You'd think from reading this forum sometimes that we finished 21st in the table and stayed up on goal difference and hadn't put in a good performance all season. Unfortunately there are some posters on here who literally only see / emphasise the negative aspects of someone's play, and it completely defines that player from that point on in their minds.

Always enjoy our discussions bud.

your right re bielik I just think the lad came in with a big v price tag And so naturally we all expect the finished article .. which he isn’t 

What disappointed me a little was how he looked off the pace of the game at times, which when u think he’d just done an excellent season at Charlton ud think stepping up to the champ from the league one.... pace of the game Physically and mentally shouldn’t have been an issue ... it wasn’t like he was coming from abroad and wasn’t used to it 

I just think for us to see the best of him he needs a proper pre season to get properly fit 

Just regretably cos of injury it might not be for another season 

6 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I was a huge eustace fan and the job he did .... huge .. so yer I certainly do appreicate that type of player 

Bielik does everything Eustace does and more. 

6 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

his return to charlton as he was one more reckless foul from getting sent off 

He was subbed on 60 minutes, he hadn't got a yellow card and it was a tactical sub as we'd just gone 2-0 down. Please fact check before. 

Compared to other DMs he had hardly any cards last season (yes played half their games, but in proportion he still had less)

Kalvin Phillips: 9 yellows, 1 red, 37 starts.    Joe Williams: 13 yellows, 1 red, 34 starts.    Samba Sow: 9 yellows, 22 starts.                Sam Morsy: 12 yellows, 43 starts.                Romaine Sawyers: 10 yellows, 1 red, 42 starts. 

Bielik: 3 yellows, 1 red, 19 starts. 

Archived