Dillon Phillips

Kyle guest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/07/2020 at 08:04, IlsonDerby said:

I think the ‘distribution’ thing is a bit of a red herring. Clearly we want a Keeper who is happy to look around and pass it wide rather than lumping it upfield but I don’t think we’re expecting Pickford, Ederson or Allison levels of distribution. 

I’m more interested in how he fairs with crosses into the box? His general commanding of the box? 

He's superb. Imagine Stoke (given how bad Butland has been this season) and other clubs will be looking at him too

I'd sign him immediately.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Won't be signing a new deal at Charlton and only got a year left. Exactly the sort of keeper we should be going for. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/14/wont-sign-a-contract-director-fears-he-will-lose-reported-Derby-and-middlesbrough-target/

Really should be snapping him up if we can. Shouldn't be a crazy fee or wages for a decent keeper and still only 25. Quite surprised he's not left Charlton yet. 

25 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Really should be snapping him up if we can. Shouldn't be a crazy fee or wages for a decent keeper and still only 25. Quite surprised he's not left Charlton yet. 

Yeah fee or wages shouldn't be an issue. Even with us reducing our wage bill you'd think we'd be able to offer more than what he's on at Charlton. Plus he'd be the number one at a big club.

I'd much rather this than Joe Hart. Who's coming towards the end of his career.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yeah fee or wages shouldn't be an issue. Even with us reducing our wage bill you'd think we'd be able to offer more than what he's on at Charlton. Plus he'd be the number one at a big club.

I'd much rather this than Joe Hart. Who's coming towards the end of his career.

Has anyone seen him play enough to say he is what we need ?

Yes; I'm a Charlton season ticket holder because my son is a fan and we live down here

Phillips is an excellent goalkeeper in my view.  Easily good enough for a top 6 Championship side.  His shot stopping is excellent; his anticipation is great and he commands his area well. He breeds confidence.  In the whole of the season I can only recall 1 real mistake he made that cost a goal and that's not bad going at this level.  He saved Charlton countless times when I was certain the opposition were going to score

His distribution with his feet is ok. Not bad by any means but he is not a sweeper keeper (at least not currently). If Cocu places a very high weight on distribution and Ederson style passes, he isn't that kind of keeper. But frankly, I don't see many Edersons at Championship level.

I would sign him in a flash

31 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Yes; I'm a Charlton season ticket holder because my son is a fan and we live down here

Phillips is an excellent goalkeeper in my view.  Easily good enough for a top 6 Championship side.  His shot stopping is excellent; his anticipation is great and he commands his area well. He breeds confidence.  In the whole of the season I can only recall 1 real mistake he made that cost a goal and that's not bad going at this level.  He saved Charlton countless times when I was certain the opposition were going to score

His distribution with his feet is ok. Not bad by any means but he is not a sweeper keeper (at least not currently). If Cocu places a very high weight on distribution and Ederson style passes, he isn't that kind of keeper. But frankly, I don't see many Edersons at Championship level.

I would sign him in a flash

You've only had to watch ter Stegens'  performance for Barce last night to realise the dangers of a keeper who's not very good at it trying to play out from the back. There's probably no more than half a dozen who have the skills needed to do it well enough to justify the risks of things going badly wrong.

What 95% of clubs in the top 2 divisions in England need in their goalie is a good shot-stopper, positional awareness in the 6 yard box and an understanding with his defence of responsibilities when the ball is launched into the penalty area. If Phillips has these qualities then I would say go for it, if we can afford him.

7 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Just seen him in Derby B and Q. 

Looks like he is going to be our second signing of the season, heard 750000 pounds, loads in for him as well. 

If this happens a great bit of business

Have i missed something through sleep deprivation .... but who was our first signing ??? Lol 

edit: oooooh the Dutch lad 

forgot about him 

I’ll go back to bed lol 

Archived