Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It may well be illegal but it is almost certainly NOT money laundering (unless Mel has some seriously dodgy business activities we’re not aware of). 

Rumour is he’s got a window round ,cash in hand

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Breakaway League 

1 minute ago, Roymac said:

With Boris' war on junk food advertising, I don't think the league can be sponsored by  a brand of choccy biscuit...

Don't take away his Breakaway idea.

This is from the sports writer at a Yorkshire paper mainly about Sheffield Wednesday but also about us - not sure of his expertise/knowledge but is interesting reading

Derby are also being charged for the way they account for players.

Without getting too technical, they appear to be saying that at the end of a players' contract they could sell him for a fee which appears to be inconsistent with our understanding of the Bosman ruling.

We also saw with Derby that they physically received the cash from the sale of the stadium whereas Wednesday didn't receive any money.

They have this unusual scenario where it's being paid for over eight years. You wouldn't normally expect that to be the case for a property deal.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-finance-money-questions-18734944

2 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Without getting too technical, they appear to be saying that at the end of a players' contract they could sell him for a fee which appears to be inconsistent with our understanding of the Bosman ruling.

Can someone correct me if I’m wrong. We’re not saying a player has value at the end of contract, just that it isn’t a straight line depreciation. If we bought someone for £6m on a three year contract, you wouldn’t expect their value with one year left (if we were to sell) to be £2m. Their value drops to zero when Bosman comes into effect at the contract end.

48 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

This is from the sports writer at a Yorkshire paper mainly about Sheffield Wednesday but also about us - not sure of his expertise/knowledge but is interesting reading

We also saw with Derby that they physically received the cash from the sale of the stadium whereas Wednesday didn't receive any money.

They have this unusual scenario where it's being paid for over eight years. You wouldn't normally expect that to be the case for a property deal.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-finance-money-questions-18734944

I don’t profess to understand or know the details of how Derby apply amortisation of players but, if they do indeed assume a player still has a value once their contract has expired then that would be insane and should have been picked up the first time we did it.

However, in my simple mind, surely this issue only applies once the contract has actually expired. So, for example, If Sibley’s contract is due to expire in June 2021, there would rightly be a value applied to his registration in the accounts year ending June 2020 but nil for the accounts submitted for June 2021. Presumably though, he would either have left or signed a new contract. Is the fuss all to do with how much we value a player in the final year of his contract? If it is to do with his value once his contract has expired we should never have done it or been allowed to.

I’m confused.

Actually, is Sibley a bad example as it only applies to players we have bought (I don't know)? Even so, the principle feels like it should be the same.

Archived