Let’s be positive.

5 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Phew! Thank fook the season is finally finished ?

Whilst in no way did I want us to lose against Cardiff (I actually put a bet on the draw when we went 2-1 down ?) in a strange way, there’s now a feeling of relief that this season can be put to bed - We no longer, realistically, can dream of the playoffs.

And what a season of disaster after disaster, only Derby can lose their star signing to injury, their captain to drink driving, value their stadium way above any reasonable going-rate, get a player sent off after the final whistle, see their once-potential super-investor arrested - Let’s please take a moment to rejoice at the end to a Hollywood disaster of a season ?????

Now, down to the real business, preparing for the short turnaround and NEXT SEASON! ?

I think it’s imperative that we do the following:

1 - Treat the next couple of games as pre-season games. Give Wayne (Who has been brilliant, regardless of tonight) a rest, give Fozzie and Martin a rest also.

2 - Give more youngsters a run, see if Buchanan, Brown, JHI and Whittaker have the chops for a first team birth next year.

3 - Maybe try Ravas in goal? I don’t know much about him, so this may be a reach?

4 - Scour the earth for one, possibly two, goalkeepers. Hamer is a goner and Roos can go to. I know he saved a few shots tonight, but don’t let that cloud your judgement, he’s not reliable enough unfortunately.

5 - Try and raise some money through sales, would anyone give us anything for Zoon, Malone or Roos, anyone, anyone...? Maybe, controversial, try and cash in on one of our two players who may fetch a bit in the market, Bogle or Lawrence?

Finally, and this is the MOST important of all, if we are going to get a punishment, I.e., a points deduction, we MUST get it for this season. If it is up to 12 points, then we’re still well clear of the relegation zone.

It would be a disaster of Derby County proportions if any points deduction were applied to next season. Think how de-motivating that would be to Cocu, think what a waste of potentially Rooney’s last year as a player, fighting a relegation dogfight when he should be leading our young bucks at the top of the league. Think also of new players, loans or otherwise, who wouldn’t come as a result of a team starting on minus points.

So, let’s be positive about our future tonight, take the defeat tonight as a moment to breathe in this mad mad season, re-group and get fit and ready for next season, which, by the way, will be here before we know it! ????

This 100% 

oh and let’s get some mobility in attack too! 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Let's get some passes to the strikers we already have first...because no matter how mobile your strikers are,if they don't get the ball,they struggle to score.

Our strikers don’t move, I don’t think you need to even look up to know where ChriS Martin and Lawrence are, it’s so predictable and has not changed for 6 years. 

3 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Our strikers don’t move, I don’t think you need to even look up to know where ChriS Martin and Lawrence are, it’s so predictable and has not changed for 6 years. 

If they are that predictable,you would expect that we might be able to pass to them occasionally with reasonable certainly of where they might be standing.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If they are that predictable,you would expect that we might be able to pass to them occasionally with reasonable certainly of where they might be standing.

I’m sorry, you have clearly missed the entire point of this...movement up front, we have none. I really don’t understand how this a hard concept to grasp? 

hi all

OK, let's be positive...

I can't praise Darren Wassall and his Academy team enough.  The number and quality of the young talents that they have unearthed and developed of late can't be underestimated.  Without the emerging talent breaking through from the Academy this season we would have had to go into the loan market and hire a bunch of makeweight journeymen unable to get a game at their parent clubs, and in that scenario I doubt if we'd be even in the top 10.

There's something inspiring about watching Bogle, Sibley, Bird, Knight, Lowe etc.  On a good day they are skilful and fearless and a delight to watch.  Yes we have to accept that there will be errors, but if they continue to develop just imagine what their value will be, both to us and in the transfer market, in the next 5-10 years.  Although not from the Academy, Holmes fits into that group of players IMO.  They have pace and skill and are great going forward.  

To get within sniffing distance of the playoffs, and to achieve a likely top 10 finish, with an inherited group of players signed by 4 previous managers, with an unbalanced squad, and with various injuries etc, plus the usual DCFC off field soap opera, is not bad going IMO.  

It appears that PC has decided who he wants to keep and who he wants to sign, plus he has the bonus of the Academy players.  I've been impressed by his willingness to give them opportunities and accept the consequences rather than panic and reach into the loan market.  He has the chance to build something here and break into the PL with us, and despite the setbacks the signs are mostly positive so far IMO.

SO, let's play the most experienced guys against Dirty Leeds and try to upset their party, and then let's give the youngsters a go against Brum.  Play the whole squad over those 2 games using 5 subs in both games and get everyone in the squad on the pitch at some point.  We are now into the short pre season for 2020-21 really, and there's not much difference between finishing 8th or 12th.

If PC gets the balance right then we can definitely be top 6 next May, with a (finally!) stable squad and management all going in the same direction.  Looking forward to it!

LR2

My big positive from this season has been our manager , he has conducted himself superbly in what has been a rollercoaster of a season , yes hes made a few mistakes but what manager doesnt , roll on next season when hopefully Cocu and his talented young stars reach the promise land

In the spirit of boundless optimism, this is the sequence of results that will see us promoted still this season:

- Cardiff: vs boro (a) and hull (h) - need to loose both.

- Millwall: vs QPR (a) and Huddersfield (h) - need to win none, but could draw both.

- Swansea: Bristol (h) and Reading (a) - must Loose at least one, or draw both.

- Preston: Birmingham (h) and Bristol (a) - must not win both, but could win one and draw one.

- Bristol: Swansea (a) and Preston (h) - must not win both, but could win one and draw one.

- Derby: Leeds (h) and Birmingham (a) - must win both, with a goal swing of 5-7 (depending on if we’re chasing Cardiff (no more than 5), Millwall (6), or Swansea (at least 7, unless they get hammered).

its a massive long shot, and it’s never going to happen, and it will all be over when Cardiff grab a spawny 96th minute equaliser against boro, but as long as there is hope I will keep the dream alive.

But wouldn’t it be great if Cardiff loose, Millwall draw, Swansea and Bristol draw on Wednesday, and we somehow pull a performance for the ages out of the bag against Leeds? It would still be alive into the last day of the season (still relying on Hull to beat Cardiff in the most shocks of shock results since boro beat them a few days previous).

it would also mean (providing Brentford win their next game), that Leeds would be sweating it on the last day, knowing they have to beat charlton or risk not only loosing 1st place, but dropping out of the autos altogether, which would probably give me as much glee as us sneaking into the last play off spot.

my only regret is that, in that scenario, boro would be safe having beaten Cardiff. If Cardiff do beat boro on Saturday I hope they smash em (I’m now going to do a similar exercise working out what unliked series of events would need to happen in order for stoke and boro to go down).

23 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Demonstrably untrue - you need to look at the set up of the whole team. Its not Lawrence's positioning that makes his play disappointing.

Couldn’t help myself:

bradford, Luton and hull can all catch boro and stoke as it stands. Boro and stoke have a vastly superior goal difference though, with the difference being 9 - 20 depending on which teams you compare. so that effectively counts for an extra point. They’re currently 5 points ahead of Luton and hull. So one more point for either would mean they can’t be both relegated. So assumed they’ll both get relegated on 50 points, all but one the teams below them have to get to 51.

So here we go:

- Stoke: Brentford (h) and Forest (a) - Must loose both (is it possible for the forest match to be called off because the gates of hell open beneath the city ground and both teams fall in?)

- Boro: Cardiff (h) and Wednesday (a) - must loose both. This would obviously doom us, but assuming were already doomed, then this is my next best scenario.

- Birmingham: Preston (a) and Derby (h) - just need to draw one of these. Preferably Preston. Then get spanked by us on the last day. 

- Huddersfield: West Brom (h) and Millwall (a) - must win at least one of these, preferably against Millwall. 

- Charlton: Wigan (h) and Leeds (a) - the only team that could realistically compete on goal difference, so I my need to win one, by more than they loose the other. Preferably loose against Wigan and smash Leeds on the last day, consigning then to the play offs. 

- Wigan: Charlton (a) and Fulham (h) - must win both to get to 51 points. 

- Hull: Luton (h) vs Cardiff (a) - Luton and hull both need 6 points to reach the magic 51. They clearly can’t both get it. So as someone has to go down with stoke and boro, it has to be one of these two. Let’s go for a Luton victory, and hull smashing Cardiff on the last day in a desperate attempt to save themselves, too little too late. 

- Luton: Hull (a) and Blackburn (h) - must win both. Simples. 

- Barnsley: Leeds (a), Forest (h) and Brentford (a). Oo, that’s a nasty run in. They need to win all 3. And they’ve got Brentford and Leeds to play, so can there possibly be a scenario where Barnsley overtake stoke, and Brentford overtake Leeds. Yes, if Barnsley win tomorrow, then we beat Leeds, then Brentford could be ahead of Leeds before the last game. Then Brentford get promoted in a damp squib as they loose to Barnsley, but thankfully, Leeds are equally unimpressive against charlton, I’m a spectacular end of season collapse, loosing 3 on the bounce. I think that works. 

stoke, boro and hull go down. 

west brom, and Brentford to go up at Leeds expense. Leeds and Forest to loose theyre respective semi finals. 

Well that was fun, im off to put a pound on all those results happening exactly as predicted. 

Ok, after a great second half of the season, it's all petered out as a damp squib in the last few games.

Nevertheless, I'm already uber excited about the close season and next season just cannot come soon enough.

Really hope the EFL back off, and that the finances do not get in the way of Cocu getting the squad that he wants. COYR ? It's going to be great.

(And that's sober!!)

On 15/07/2020 at 21:36, TigerTedd said:

In the spirit of boundless optimism, this is the sequence of results that will see us promoted still this season:

- Cardiff: vs boro (a) and hull (h) - need to loose both.

- Millwall: vs QPR (a) and Huddersfield (h) - need to win none, but could draw both.

- Swansea: Bristol (h) and Reading (a) - must Loose at least one, or draw both.

- Preston: Birmingham (h) and Bristol (a) - must not win both, but could win one and draw one.

- Bristol: Swansea (a) and Preston (h) - must not win both, but could win one and draw one.

- Derby: Leeds (h) and Birmingham (a) - must win both, with a goal swing of 5-7 (depending on if we’re chasing Cardiff (no more than 5), Millwall (6), or Swansea (at least 7, unless they get hammered).

its a massive long shot, and it’s never going to happen, and it will all be over when Cardiff grab a spawny 96th minute equaliser against boro, but as long as there is hope I will keep the dream alive.

But wouldn’t it be great if Cardiff loose, Millwall draw, Swansea and Bristol draw on Wednesday, and we somehow pull a performance for the ages out of the bag against Leeds? It would still be alive into the last day of the season (still relying on Hull to beat Cardiff in the most shocks of shock results since boro beat them a few days previous).

it would also mean (providing Brentford win their next game), that Leeds would be sweating it on the last day, knowing they have to beat charlton or risk not only loosing 1st place, but dropping out of the autos altogether, which would probably give me as much glee as us sneaking into the last play off spot.

my only regret is that, in that scenario, boro would be safe having beaten Cardiff. If Cardiff do beat boro on Saturday I hope they smash em (I’m now going to do a similar exercise working out what unliked series of events would need to happen in order for stoke and boro to go down).

On 15/07/2020 at 22:16, TigerTedd said:

Couldn’t help myself:

bradford, Luton and hull can all catch boro and stoke as it stands. Boro and stoke have a vastly superior goal difference though, with the difference being 9 - 20 depending on which teams you compare. so that effectively counts for an extra point. They’re currently 5 points ahead of Luton and hull. So one more point for either would mean they can’t be both relegated. So assumed they’ll both get relegated on 50 points, all but one the teams below them have to get to 51.

So here we go:

- Stoke: Brentford (h) and Forest (a) - Must loose both (is it possible for the forest match to be called off because the gates of hell open beneath the city ground and both teams fall in?)

- Boro: Cardiff (h) and Wednesday (a) - must loose both. This would obviously doom us, but assuming were already doomed, then this is my next best scenario.

- Birmingham: Preston (a) and Derby (h) - just need to draw one of these. Preferably Preston. Then get spanked by us on the last day. 

- Huddersfield: West Brom (h) and Millwall (a) - must win at least one of these, preferably against Millwall. 

- Charlton: Wigan (h) and Leeds (a) - the only team that could realistically compete on goal difference, so I my need to win one, by more than they loose the other. Preferably loose against Wigan and smash Leeds on the last day, consigning then to the play offs. 

- Wigan: Charlton (a) and Fulham (h) - must win both to get to 51 points. 

- Hull: Luton (h) vs Cardiff (a) - Luton and hull both need 6 points to reach the magic 51. They clearly can’t both get it. So as someone has to go down with stoke and boro, it has to be one of these two. Let’s go for a Luton victory, and hull smashing Cardiff on the last day in a desperate attempt to save themselves, too little too late. 

- Luton: Hull (a) and Blackburn (h) - must win both. Simples. 

- Barnsley: Leeds (a), Forest (h) and Brentford (a). Oo, that’s a nasty run in. They need to win all 3. And they’ve got Brentford and Leeds to play, so can there possibly be a scenario where Barnsley overtake stoke, and Brentford overtake Leeds. Yes, if Barnsley win tomorrow, then we beat Leeds, then Brentford could be ahead of Leeds before the last game. Then Brentford get promoted in a damp squib as they loose to Barnsley, but thankfully, Leeds are equally unimpressive against charlton, I’m a spectacular end of season collapse, loosing 3 on the bounce. I think that works. 

stoke, boro and hull go down. 

west brom, and Brentford to go up at Leeds expense. Leeds and Forest to loose theyre respective semi finals. 

Well that was fun, im off to put a pound on all those results happening exactly as predicted. 

Well these both aged well. I think every single one of these predictions has gone wrong this weekend. 

On 15/07/2020 at 15:32, Premier ram said:

My big positive from this season has been our manager , he has conducted himself superbly in what has been a rollercoaster of a season , yes hes made a few mistakes but what manager doesnt , roll on next season when hopefully Cocu and his talented young stars reach the promise land

My heart hopes you are right, my head tells me this is a mid table squad, managed in a mid table manner.  The shortened close season needs to be pretty good or we will continue to flatter to deceive.  It is only very rarely that we put in a performance that looks good and I can not see anything factually to see how it will change

I can see the summer transfer window being extremely problematic for all clubs not just with the curtailment to perform any business, but also with clubs reticent to sell players at anything less then they believe is market value with a lot of clubs in financial dire straits due to loss of revenues - ultimately this could end up being a very turgid affair with little movement.

If I'm proven right then all I can see incoming is maybe Clarke on another loan which will leave us with another mid table squad putting out mid table performances. 

Any team can play a load of young players - we aren’t the only club with an academy !

Are our young players really any better than other clubs or are we just so short of players that we have no choice ?

Playing young players is fine - as long as they are good enough and I’m not that convinced...

Just now, Justa said:

Any team can play a load of young players - we aren’t the only club with an academy !

Are our young players really any better than other clubs or are we just so short of players that we have no choice ?

Playing young players is fine - as long as they are good enough and I’m not that convinced...

The young players is the positive bit. It’s the rest that is the problem. And the laboured style of play.
We are getting into bad habits.

However you look at it you have to hold your hands up and say it has been an abysmal end to the season...we had hard fixtures but even so we have been second rate for most of those fixtures. I do agree its great throwing in loads of youngsters but only if they are good enough - far from convinced some of these are (yet). Roll on next season - cant start quick enough - lets hope for some clever dealings in the market, look for some of these hidden gems that teams like Brentford seem to find with ease.

Archived