Let’s be positive.

I’m sure we are all disappointed with today’s result/performance but let’s try and be positive. To finish the game with that amount of youth players on the pitch was a great thing to see. We still have something to play for. We have a manager who has dealt brilliantly with the issues we’ve had this season and got us in contention For the Play Offs. We have Rooney guiding our young players. 

I am sure we would all love us to get promoted but in perspective another season in the Championship giving our youngsters more experience and game time may not be a bad thing. How many would play week in week out if we went up. These players are our future. 

On field it is an exciting time be be a Ram. Off the pitch there may be a few issues hanging over us but I am sure we will come through it. 

Let’s just sit back and enjoy the final games with plenty of optimism for the future. 

COYR

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second this. This seasons been a rollercoaster and tbh I wouldn’t have it any other way. Love this club to death and super Phil is building a dynasty. JHI and Jordan brown looked decent so did Buchanan apart from him costing us the second goal. Reminds me of bogle last year

24 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I’m sure we are all disappointed with today’s result/performance but let’s try and be positive. To finish the game with that amount of youth players on the pitch was a great thing to see. We still have something to play for.

But the second sentence is why it's difficult to be happy with the previous one. We needed a better bench, well we needed better on the pitch! Not sure how many of the youngsters will make it realistically, I mean c'mon even Sibley, Knight and Bird didn't shine tonight.

Two poor performances against good sides, but, let's not forget, from the academy, Bogle, Sibley and Bird are confirmed championship players with futures possibly higher, Lowe gradually looking a first team squad player proper, ditto Knight - that's six worthwhile academy players to ge in and around the team.

Add to that, trialist, Whittaker, brown and Buchanan who still looked u23 players tonight - but remember how bird looked away at villa last season, they'll grow.

Dutch center half, Bielik to come back, Wisdom to come back.

Starting a season already versed in the style rather than learning it.

I think we'll be ok next season. I didn't really believe we were good enough for play offs this season.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But the second sentence is why it's difficult to be happy with the previous one. We needed a better bench, well we needed better on the pitch! Not sure how many of the youngsters will make it realistically, I mean c'mon even Sibley, Knight and Bird didn't shine tonight.

I see what you are saying but young players will have off days and be inconsistent. That’s why another season in the Championship might not be a bad thing. It’s a learning curve for them. WBA are a good, well organised team and are top of the league for a reason. If we want youth to come through we will have to be patient. They will have a run of games and then need to be taken out for a few. This is where we are as a club at the minute. If/when the wage cap comes in we will be in a better place than most. 

There is nothing worse than getting promoted too soon, we more than anyone should know that. We hear about 3 or 4 year plans and for us Rowett, Lampard etc barely got the plan going before leaving. Give Cocu the summer to recruit what we need and next season we will be stronger and in a better position to challenge. There’s no reason that this time next year Bird, Sibley and Knight can’t be on 50+ appearances for us. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Young players, even very good ones are heavily reliant on getting support from experienced, match-savvy teammates. Today that support was seriously lacking so hardly surprising none of them performed.

Great to see that many academy kids. 

But that was hard to watch. Slow no movement no running in behind no width. If we had passed the vakk backwards or sideways any more I might aswell have watched the game rewinding. This game shows we need wingers badly and a striker stature of Martin who can run in behind aswell to give them something else to think about. There final third was just far superior and looked like scoring everytime they went forward. Hopefully a few additions mainly a winger and striker centre half and a keeper and we will be challenging for top 2 next season.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Young players, even very good ones are heavily reliant on getting support from experienced, match-savvy teammates. Today that support was seriously lacking so hardly surprising none of them performed.

Exactly this and the senior pros have been stupidly getting them selves sent off in recent weeks to pile the pressure unnecessarily on the young lads. Tonight the squad just looked thread bare, Greg having talent coming through the academy but can’t blood them all at once. We need to add 4 players in the summer (as well as Dutch mike) GK, centre half, winger, striker. These players coupled the young guns and what we already have I think Wel have a real chance of autos next season.

If we are sticking with Cocu and his project, I think we are two seasons away from genuinely competing for promotion.

Firstly, I don't think the money is there for us to add to the squad sufficiently. Secondly, these young players need time. Thirdly, I think the pandemic situation is working against us. We needed a normal summer to really put plans in place, yet it will be another summer of a disjointed and uncertain nature.

When you consider that we need a goalkeeper, a centre back, a winger or two, and long term replacements for Rooney and Martin, I don't think it makes sense to expect too much next season unless we can work some magic in the transfer market in the same way other clubs do.

Look at that Pereira lad at WBA - head and shoulders above anything we have got even when everyone is fit. That's the kind of find we need from our recruitment team.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If we are sticking with Cocu and his project, I think we are two seasons away from genuinely competing for promotion.

Firstly, I don't think the money is there for us to add to the squad sufficiently. Secondly, these young players need time. Thirdly, I think the pandemic situation is working against us. We needed a normal summer to really put plans in place, yet it will be another summer of a disjointed and uncertain nature.

When you consider that we need a goalkeeper, a centre back, a winger or two, and long term replacements for Rooney and Martin, I don't think it makes sense to expect too much next season unless we can work some magic in the transfer market in the same way other clubs do.

Look at that Pereira lad at WBA - head and shoulders above anything we have got even when everyone is fit. That's the kind of find we need from our recruitment team.

Recruitment team? 

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I agree with you but why do you prefix it with "If we are sticking with Cocu and his project". I appreciate you haven't been a fan of his but how would anything in the remainder of your post be any different under another manager?

Just now, IslandExile said:

I agree with you but why do you prefix it with "If we are sticking with Cocu and his project". I appreciate you haven't been a fan of his but how would anything in the remainder of your post be any different under another manager?

Well I think a different manager would be able to accelerate this process, that's all.

But Cocu will be here next season and deservedly so. With smart recruitment, I think we will find ourselves in the play-offs next season. But to get promoted in the style and the manner that people are visualising, I think we will need more time.

29 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Except they have to step up if we want to rely on them, and all three looked fairly ordinary tonight. Yes I want to see our young players come though, but I do not want to see our young players come through because they are young! It's difficult to say, but what does Cocu see in Whittaker? I'm not trying to be mean I just wonder where he's going with him, nothing much but a bit of speed. Shouldn't more of these youngsters be out getting more 'real' game time?

Well I think a different manager would be able to accelerate this process, that's all.

But Cocu will be here next season and deservedly so. With smart recruitment, I think we will find ourselves in the play-offs next season. But to get promoted in the style and the manner that people are visualising, I think we will need more time.

Do you mean a manager able to get results (without the style) or a manager able to develop a successful & also attractive style?

If its the latter, these things always take time irrespective of manager. Pragmatic results based football is achievable quite quickly - the better the style, the harder it is to perfect. Look how long it took Klopp & Guardiola to get it right even allowing for the multi millions they could throw at players.

As you know I feel differently about Cocu. For me, we're very lucky to have him.

However, I do agree that we're some way away from where we want to be and, without funds to supplement the academy players breaking through, it's going to be difficult next year.

I agree the lockdown hasn't helped. I hate this virus.

I fear a lot of clubs will be hit financially and some may not survive.

Also, I can't help thinking the EFL are waiting to see where we finish to determine when to apply any points deduction.

37 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

That’s why another season in the Championship might not be a bad thing. There is nothing worse than getting promoted too soon...

Nope. If they're any good why not learn at Prem level?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except they have to step up if we want to rely on them, and all three looked fairly ordinary tonight. Yes I want to see our young players come though, but I do not want to see our young players come through because they are young! It's difficult to say, but what does Cocu see in Whittaker? I'm not trying to be mean I just wonder where he's going with him, nothing much but a bit of speed. Shouldn't more of these youngsters be out getting more 'real' game time?

I agree that Whittaker has done little to show he's worth a place on the bench let alone being a possible starter but he's still only 19. My comments were more directed to you mentioning Bird, Sibley and Knight.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

I agree that Whittaker has done little to show he's worth a place on the bench let alone being a possible starter but he's still only 19. My comments were more directed to you mentioning Bird, Sibley and Knight.

Yes and all three looked lost tonight. I'm worried that Bird will end up being too sideways/negative and Knight not knowing where he is, Sibley should be okay, but will he be more, hopefully.

Positives is the amount of youth on the pitch & they will only get better. 

We've also shifted most of the deadwood out from previous managers, anya, Butterfield

We are probably not as far away as people think. We have Lawrence & waghorn to come back from suspension. Marriott & bielik to comeback from injury. 

We are probably three quality plsyers away from a very good side. A quality keeper, a centre back to partner the new lad & a centre forward. If we could bring experience in those positions to mix with out youth i think we'd be very good 

Archived