Test Cricket is Back

sage

I see Liam from Benidorm is still in charge, IMO just looking a Joe Root's body language when talking to Silverwood and Anderson this is no plan they simply have no clue what to do. I'm sure England and Wales will still go on to win the test but the end of that innings was shocking. 

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
the standard typo do it every time

4 minutes ago, Maxwell Baxter said:

I see Liam from Benidorm is still in charge, IMO just looking a Joe Root's body language when talking to Siverwood and Anderson this is no plan they simply have no clue what to do. I'm sure England and Wales will still go on to win the test but the end of that innings was shocking. 

If they do go on to win as you are sure they will, it won't really matter what you thought about the end of the innings, will it?

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If they do go on to win as you are sure they will, it won't really matter what you thought about the end of the innings, will it?

I think it will because regardless of a win or not it will show that England and Wales had not much faith in there bowlers to defend over 400 runs. If that isn't the case why not just put the hammer down after tea and run the score up rather than eat up the overs.  

You can not question Joe Root as a batmans but as for captaincy (along with Silverwood) the are a lot of questions. The total lack of momentum at the end of that innings showed weakness rather that dominance. And why the hell would you send out you best bowler as a number 11 batsman when you are 400+ ahead and risk a ball smacking him on the hand or arm and getting an injury, crazy just crazy.

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
the standard typo do it every time

32 minutes ago, Maxwell Baxter said:

I think it will because regardless of a win or not it will show that England and Wales had not much faith in there bowlers to defend over 400 runs. If that isn't the case why not just put the hammer down after tea and run the score up rather than eat up the overs.  

Isn't he actually putting more trust in his bowlers by giving them fewer overs? 

There is also recent history of India chasing down a big target at this ground, not to mention that the pitch has been as flat as a witch's tit for most of the match

1 minute ago, Maxwell Baxter said:

You can not question Joe Root as batmans but as for captaincy (along with Silverwood) the are a lot of questions. The total lack of momentum at the end of that innings showed weakness rather that dominance. And why the hell would you send out you best bowler as a number 11 batsman when you are 400+ ahead and risk a ball smacking him on the hand or arm and getting an injury, crazy just crazy.

It's probably not worth your blood pressure ?

33 minutes ago, dabber said:

Was there any discussion as to why we did not enforce the follow on? I presume it was due to the bowlers being knackered and that the pitch would degrade even further, so might as well try and add quick runs and then bowl them out on the worsening pitch.

Root wouldn't want our bowlers out there for that long, and we also wouldn't want to risk needing to chase 150 odd on a day five pitch.

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Why are we still batting? We lead by 408 with probably @109 over left in the game. Don't understand the logic to be honest.

We could have declared earlier. I'm usually an advocate of early declarations but then I'm not going to take any of the poo if it goes wrong.

I would also enforce the follow on from my armchair.

This time, though, I think he wanted to avoid a scenario where he declares 370 or 80 on and they are 100 for none at the close. The bowlers have a sleepless night knowing that India are well set and need under 100 per session on a pitch that might not be as demonic as people expect.

As it is now, India can't win and if the pitch plays silly buggers, the bowlers should sort it all out.

I don't blame him for not being cavalier.

I was annoyed to begin with but the fact we got bowled out when we weren't 'going for it' is perhaps why we didn't attack more. 

We could have been bowled out for 160 leaving 400 to win in 120 or so overs which would be risky given India's batting strength. 

Leach and Bess are still learning. Get ready for a great day tomorrow! 

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We could have declared earlier. I'm usually an advocate of early declarations but then I'm not going to take any of the poo if it goes wrong.

I would also enforce the follow on from my armchair.

This time, though, I think he wanted to avoid a scenario where he declares 370 or 80 on and they are 100 for none at the close. The bowlers have a sleepless night knowing that India are well set and need under 100 per session on a pitch that might not be as demonic as people expect.

As it is now, India can't win and if the pitch plays silly buggers, the bowlers should sort it all out.

I don't blame him for not being cavalier.

Well I that kinda makes  sense I guess, though I'm not sure setting 380 is exactly 'cavalier'. Much to the chagrin of my better half, I too a long afternoon nap in preparation for a shorter nights sleep. Well that and the fact that work is dead right now! Already under threat of something worse than death if I wake her up!  Its all finely poised now so I'm looing for to a two hour stint in the dark with a very large pot of coffee!

Getting rid of Rohit should at least put a small level of doubt in their minds and with a new ball, we might be able to do some damage early enough to induce a bit of squeaky bum syndrome. I think I'd have preferred nearer 130 overs to play with as I think anything near 350 would be a monumental task, but an early wicket or two tomorrow and that'll soon be forgotten. In truth it's just nice to have some decent sport to watch as I'd be losing my mind if the sole focus and offering right now was football. If we can win this first test we could have an absolute belter of a series on our hands with the Ashes still to come.

Oh my days. A frustrated pant tries to drive a rising ball and Jimmy now has 3 wickets from 6 overs at a cost of 7 runs. For all the chatter about the spinners, Anderson reminding us that he's the boss man. Stunning!

*not sure why I'm providing a commentary here but really hope some of you lot are as daft as me and have set the alarm clock for this. I'll shut up now!!! ?  

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Incredible!!! Rahane survives an lbw call that tracking shows is hitting middle, then duplicates the call to Gill and the off stump is again cartwheeling towards the boundary. Unbelievable first over from Anderson who has the ball on a string right now. ?

Just caught up on the C4 highlights. 

What an over that is from Anderson.

Ashwin better be prepared for another Archer barrage after lunch. 

2 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Just caught up on the C4 highlights. 

What an over that is from Anderson.

Ashwin better be prepared for another Archer barrage after lunch. 

Felt genuinely sorry for Ashwin. Archer had looked quite tame up to that point but maybe he's had a bit of chatter coming his way while at the crease and has decided to give the Indian bowlers a few lively ones. It was a seriously hostile over and Ashwin's absolutely going to get some more of the same.