Test Cricket is Back

sage

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really good from Olly Stone. Looks a real prospect as called by @Anag Ram. Cleaned up the tail with minimal fuss looking pretty hostile in the process. Not the type of bowler one enjoys facing!

Let’s hope he can still bat!

England struggling to avoid the follow on.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Let’s hope he can still bat!

England struggling to avoid the follow on.

The depressing thing is that on a pitch like this we might well lose even if we win the toss. Wonder which journalist will be brave enough to say India must try to prepare a pitch suitable for a 5 day format.

3-1?

2 hours ago, sage said:

2 appalling decisions

Only 2?

I've got 1) the stumping that was ON the line, not behind it, given not out... 2) the catch off the glove that was reviewed but the 3rd umpire chose to look at a non-existent LBW instead.... 3) the hiding of the bat behind the pad being considered to be a legitimate shot ... that's 3 howlers!

On day 1 I thought it was a bad pitch but we're now 2 days further in and its playing exactly the same. India playing to their strengths - I don't have a massive problem with it. Annoying as it takes the game away from us a little but it's down to us to be better vs spin. The fact Ashwin is looking good on 60 odd says to me the pitch isn't that bad at this stage.

Every game is different but for me that's how you bat when over 400 ahead and with the last wicket standing go out and score 49 off 55 balls. The slight difference in this game when choosing to sending out the number 11 batsman when over 400 ahead is that you had the home town boy looking to make a 100 but they didn't hang around it showed dominance not weakness. That said with over 2 days to go its not over yet the England and Wales openers owe us a good partnership.

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
the standard typo do it every time

14 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I can’t work out that ball. Not that it was given not out just the whole damned thing! Kohli giving umpires an ear full. Get on with it man as Mr Lloyd would say! 

It was umpires call .

So not out was the decision.

Different yesterday when they got away with one when it clearly was caught behind off the gloves and 3rd umpire didn’t look at it and was checking edge off the bat. 

Also why is Virat running diagonally across the pitch. 

Clearly crossed the line with the umpires and too tetchy 

Hmmm.. Deeply unsatisfying performance from the umpires. As for Kohli, whilst it's easy to acknowledge his stature as a batsman, I've not much time for him as a sportsman. Watching him refuse to walk when cleaned bowled kind of sums up his character for me. I don't think I've ever seen someone bowled and refusing to walk before, though I could be wrong. He even bullied the umpires into a 'free' review! I very much doubt Root would be afforded the same.

All of this notwithstanding, we've been properly schooled in this test, though I do feel this match was always going to be decided on the toss of a coin. It's clearly a hopeless task now so I think we need to dust ourselves down, re-group and hope for better luck next time. I'm still not concerned by our top order batsmen and I think when we find ourselves in bother, it's typically because they've failed to deliver. I'm hoping Zak Crawley can add some stability though I'm not convinced he plays spin that well at this early stage of his career.

Just a case of India’s spin bowlers being far superior to England’s on a pitch specifically prepared to assist spin. 

Also the stand out innings from India came from Rohit and Pant who took the attack to the bowlers and put them off their line and length.

The game was over when India got 329. England though should be disappointed they didn’t get close to 200 in either innings.

Not a time for panic. Careful selection needled for the next test.