Test Cricket is Back

sage

Ali chosen to go home for final tests. Seems strange that he stuck around, got himself back in team, did ok and now decides he wants out. Saying that, it's obvious his family is his priority and good on him, so maybe time for him to reevaluate what he wants going forward.

23 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Just reading that Moeen is returning home. 

Interesting to see whether they pick Bess, who's done nothing since being dropped or whether they gamble on Leach plus Root and add a third seamer? 

We wouldn't have this issue if Stokes was bowling better. 

Think Bess has to play. Not sure Root has the stamina as a bowler esp playing in a teapot.
Interesting to hear the experts saying that part of the problem is our spinners don’t bowl quickly enough to capitalise on these conditions (and Root is the quickest I think). 

17 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Think Bess has to play. Not sure Root has the stamina as a bowler esp playing in a teapot.
Interesting to hear the experts saying that part of the problem is our spinners don’t bowl quickly enough to capitalise on these conditions (and Root is the quickest I think). 

Derek Underwood would be perfect right now!

Spin has been marginalised for too long in the county game. Spin bowling is focussed more on the one day game where persistent line and length would be punished.

The hope is that Bess and Leach learn enormously from this test series. I was hoping Moeen would be a match winner but it’s now clear that he was perhaps not firing on all cylinders and that must be tough. 

I know from football and cricket tours of my past that by the end of the weekend you’re getting a bit ratty with each other. Imagine being in a bubble with the same guys for months!

We should enjoy the cricket first and hope for an England win second. I don’t mind spin on day three but playing on a surface more suitable for boules isn’t on.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Derek Underwood would be perfect right now!

Heard the C4commentators saying Underwood still holds several records for English players in India. Going back to speed of delivery, I would guess Underwood was pretty quick through the air. His run up was longer than Bumrah’s !

I know it must be tough in the bubble but playing without Buttler, Bairstow and Moeem seems suicidal. Pope can do better tho - his footwork is a match for Ashwin - so maybe there’s hope there. cant always rely on Root. If England do well next test it could be a memorable series 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Heard the C4commentators saying Underwood still holds several records for English players in India. Going back to speed of delivery, I would guess Underwood was pretty quick through the air. His run up was longer than Bumrah’s !

I know it must be tough in the bubble but playing without Buttler, Bairstow and Moeem seems suicidal. Pope can do better tho - his footwork is a match for Ashwin - so maybe there’s hope there. cant always rely on Root. If England do well next test it could be a memorable series 

Yes Underwood bowled at around 70mph like a gentle medium pacer. He had a lovely action and was very accurate. He would have hit those rough spots. 

England will have to choose the batting lineup most likely to go big. Sad to abandon Lawrence so early but I think he and Burns will lose out to Crawley and Bairstow. Stokes needs to play at his tempo and not try to become Sibley mark two.

14 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Have to say I don’t think he or Burns are solid enough. 
Crawley looking in great nick

Will be fascinating to see whether we’ve picked the right bowlers. Axar already looking threatening 

Disagree on Sibley, think he is a proper test opener of old. 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

How can Umpire give that out when it’s spinning like a top. 

No way can ball tracker judge that 

Root right to be angry 

I thought it was out live, then on the replay thought it could be high and wide. 

I think the ball has travelled far enough for ball tracker to judge it. 

Need a big innings from Stokes now. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I thought it was out live, then on the replay thought it could be high and wide. 

I think the ball has travelled far enough for ball tracker to judge it. 

Need a big innings from Stokes now. 

Yes especially as Crawley has just gone