Limited attendance

sage

Banning away support from all matches obviously makes sense, giving the home club the freedom to plan and segregate their stadiums as per government guidelines. Also lessen the need for excessive policing. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's the Government's job to tell any organisation - shops/pubs/hairdressers/cricket or football clubs -  how to open, barring a few general rules such as distancing or masks or handwashing or track and trace information. It's the Government's job to say whether and when they can open and then the organisation's job to make that work if they can or want to, just as many pubs decided not to open last night.

I'm over 60, in good health and if Pride Park is open then I'm going.  If DCFC require me to wear a mask then I'll wear a mask, or sit somewhere different or arrive at 230 and leave at 530.  If the seat's occupied next to me or behind me and in front, that's fine.

It's numbers for me.  I'm not that much more likely to catch Covid than I am seasonal flu during the winter.  Both can be fatal, both are not always and the odds are heavily stacked in favour of surviving, not that you want to catch either.  I'm prepared to take the risk, just as I was when I went shopping today or walking the dogs, because I judge the risk of me catching it and then dying to be low.

If I was elderly and frail or had an underlying health condition then I probably wouldn't take the risk.  But I'm not and it's a personal decision for everyone to take for themselves.  If the risk is too high for you don't go, but we sure as hell can't carry on not having fans paying money to watch non-Premier League football for very much longer and expect clubs to survive

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I genuinely believe grounds could be opened to season ticket holders only based on 

half to two thirds capacity basis 

no away fans 

outdoor stadiums 

wearing a face covering ( or you get banned ) 

biggest problem are the drinking establishments before games usually 

if you can get on a tube in London like a sewer rat every day you can certainly spend 90 minutes watching football in the outdoors if you are self aware regarding the virus.

it would be a start and would mean survival for a lot of clubs and how could the government object especially if 15-20,000 are spaced out in a 32,000 stadium in our case   

What about a vicer that goes over your face as I really really dont like masks.

14 minutes ago, sage said:

You'd have to sit at the end of the aisle.

That would suit me, as I already do, so I wouldn't have to altar my seat!  (Good job too, as the woman two seats down is a big gal, so I doubt I'd get pastor!)

Anyway, I just hope we don't get any more banns this season!  

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, sage said:

You'd have to sit at the end of the aisle.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

That would suit me, as I already do, so I wouldn't have to altar my seat!  (Good job too, as the woman two seats down is a big gal, so I doubt I'd get pastor!)

Anyway, I just hope we don't get any more banns this season!  

stop it you two you are making me cross.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, sage said:

Oooh hark at hymn

I have to take my hat off to you,  you Noah lot of puns.

11 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The more I see pictures of the streets of London absolutely rammed with people drinking, rammed beaches, underground trains rammed I dont see how sitting in a football ground is any more risky? Obviously in an ideal world during a pandemic none of the above would be happening, but we are a nation of idiots.

I can see face coverings being mandatory to attend football. 

Yes it's a fair point, and your other observations are spot on. More chance of a 2nd wave and subsequent lockdown tbh. 

11 hours ago, europia said:

Yes it's a fair point, and your other observations are spot on. More chance of a 2nd wave and subsequent lockdown tbh. 

If there is going to be a second wave, why hasnt it materialised after the 'protests' where there was no social distancing?

Not saying there wont be a second wave but if there is it would appear a lack of social distancing wont be the driving factor.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not saying there wont be a second wave but if there is it would appear a lack of social distancing wont be the driving factor.

True. Lots of people close together isn't the problem. Lots of people, some of whom have the virus, close together, is the problem!

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

True. Lots of people close together isn't the problem. Lots of people, some of whom have the virus, close together, is the problem!

Yeah, you're right.  It's just such a shame nobody seems to know whether they have it or not, until it's too late, and they've already passed it on.

Oh for the days of weeping sores, pus covered flesh, and maybe even the odd extremity falling off!  Life was so much simpler back in The Good Old Days!   

Here in Denmark the crowds are starting to roll in. At first it was supposed to be behind closed doors for the rest of the season, then 500 was allowed to enter in accordance with the nationwide ban on large gatherings and now a new set of guidelines is implemented allowing up to 40% of the capacity. I was at a match yesterday with an attendance of around 7000 approximately a third of the total capacity. All this in the span of around a month. Not sure if we're the only country in europe easing up so fast but it wouldn't surprise me if full capacity is allowed when the new season starts in september. So far its worked rather well with only a minor exception in the cup final where a large group of fans were told to leave as they ignored the guidelines. But I guess time will tell if we're too optimistic.

I don't think I'd be into attending games in September unless the virus numbers had dropped massively. I don't think that's likely, as the guidelines seem to be aiming at forced herd immunity again

I'd happily carry on with a season ticket that let me watch all the games at home, and kept my ST continuity for when it's safe to start attending again (realistically post-vaccine). I think if I was forced to give up my ST on a "keep it and dice with possible virus death - or lose it and be more likely to stay alive" basis - then I'd probably never go back

Archived