Limited attendance

sage

19 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

No matter how people go on about schools reopening and fans being allowed back into grounds, they are Two entirely separate issues. A friend of mine is a school governor and what the government are saying regarding kids going back to school in the numbers suggested is a logistical nightmare as regards separation.

Someone posted earlier about how good people had behaved when the pubs reopened this weekend,that doesn't appear to be the case from the news i have seen.

I think the clubs will be concentrating at getting the sponsors back into the executive boxes so they don't lose that lucrative sponsorship before ordinary fans are allowed back

I'm a school governor as well and it will certainly be a challenge.

With regards to people behaving sensibly, I think the vast majority have been but, of course, you won't see stories of us/them on the news. It's not much a news story: Mr and Mrs Smith from number 32, along with all their neighbours, decided to have a quiet night in.

I agree, getting the exec boxes open again is important for revenue but, I'm sure the club will be able to think about both challenges at the same time. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an equally big problem is transport to and from the game. 

It's recommended we don't use public transport unless absolutely necessary, so I'd expect to see a far higher amount of cars at PP even without a full stadium.

Not much point creating a safe stadium if you have to pile into a confined bus or train to get there.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m not sure whether I admire your confidence or whether to be bemused. COVID-19 is in another league to flu. And as a 60 year old male you are in a higher risk group. Not sure why some people have their health destroyed or die, whilst others recover without any ill effects, and hopefully you won’t get it, but you are not immune. 

Circa 80% probably are immune.

For me, I would open up the stadiums in September. This thing is disappearing so quickly. 350 odd confirmed cases today in a population of 67 million.

Literally how many more do we need it to drop to? Good Denmark is allowing fans in - they will provide the blue print and hopefully the evidence all is ok although Australia is already showing that with rugby league I think?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

For me, I would open up the stadiums in September. This thing is disappearing so quickly. 350 odd confirmed cases today in a population of 67 million.

Literally how many more do we need it to drop to? Good Denmark is allowing fans in - they will provide the blue print and hopefully the evidence all is ok although Australia is already showing that with rugby league I think?

Interested to know where the 80% immune comes from. Has there been an article suggesting this? 

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Interested to know where the 80% immune comes from. Has there been an article suggesting this? 

Can’t find the article now but a Swiss scientist today published an article about it. Not the first, or the last I’ll read on this.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Can’t find the article now but a Swiss scientist today published an article about it. Not the first, or the last I’ll read on this.

a swiss scientist ? I bet he thinks hes a big cheese, but I reckon there are lots of holes in his theory 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I couldnt gave e dam what the scientist says.

I think we should stop the cheese puns before they start,  its quite childish,  I think we should be extra mature about it.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

I think you may be right and by September we will have a lot more data on which to base decisions. I remember right at the beginning when Italy was in such a mess, there was a small town called Vo. It was easy to isolate and they ran a programme of 100% testing over 3-4 weeks .. 95% of the folk got it but 75% had zero symptoms. ..
I suppose though the problem comes when you have 20+ % of 70 million. ... that has been the big fear. Swamping a system that would collapse if we didn’t react. No power stations no NHS, no water board. .. it isn’t really the illness from the virus, which can be tragic  .. it’s the consequences for society as a whole. 

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is that just pillar 1 cases or does it contain pillar 2 also?

Sweet pastries and kangeroo meat injected into the anus presumably confers some additional protection against infection.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m not sure whether I admire your confidence or whether to be bemused. COVID-19 is in another league to flu. And as a 60 year old male you are in a higher risk group. Not sure why some people have their health destroyed or die, whilst others recover without any ill effects, and hopefully you won’t get it, but you are not immune. 

Oh just admire my confidence @RamNut ?

Flu kills thousands of people every year. About 5 years ago it killed 30000 people in the UK in a year and we didn’t lockdown a thing. And apparently we had a vaccine for that.
We won’t actually know the true impact of CV19 for a long time yet but the very worst estimate I’ve seen is that 10% of the population might have had it, of whom only a very small percentage have died. Terrible if you’re one of those people but the odds of catching CV19 and then dying are low.  If you are then reasonably fit and take reasonable precautions about handwashing and self distancing then the odds are even better. If you have underlying health problems then the odds rise.  
I know with certainty that I’m not immune but I also know that the odds are in my favour. Significantly. So long as I’m careful.

What I also know is that we cannot go on like this. A GP friend of mine tells me that over the last few weeks 80% of the calls to her surgery have become anxiety related. That’s 4 or 5 times what they normally are and most are CV19 and/or lockdown related. Businesses, charities, sports clubs are going under, jobs are being lost, kids are not being educated, incomes will fall, people will become homeless or on social security. Mel cannot continue to bail us out ad infinitum. Steadily we have to take more risks to reduce the potentially greater  damage to our mental well being from our reaction to CV19 compared to that caused by the virus itself.

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Oh just admire my confidence @RamNut ?

Flu kills thousands of people every year. About 5 years ago it killed 30000 people in the UK in a year and we didn’t lockdown a thing. And apparently we had a vaccine for that.
We won’t actually know the true impact of CV19 for a long time yet but the very worst estimate I’ve seen is that 10% of the population might have had it, of whom only a very small percentage have died. Terrible if you’re one of those people but the odds of catching CV19 and then dying are low.  If you are then reasonably fit and take reasonable precautions about handwashing and self distancing then the odds are even better. If you have underlying health problems then the odds rise.  
I know with certainty that I’m not immune but I also know that the odds are in my favour. Significantly. So long as I’m careful.

What I also know is that we cannot go on like this. A GP friend of mine tells me that over the last few weeks 80% of the calls to her surgery have become anxiety related. That’s 4 or 5 times what they normally are and most are CV19 and/or lockdown related. Businesses, charities, sports clubs are going under, jobs are being lost, kids are not being educated, incomes will fall, people will become homeless or on social security. Mel cannot continue to bail us out ad infinitum. Steadily we have to take more risks to reduce the potentially greater  damage to our mental well being from our reaction to CV19 compared to that caused by the virus itself.

A few of points occur to me. Flu vaccines often don't match the viruses that actually arrive. Distancing in the North Stand Concourse is as likely as Kenny Burns paying the Rams a compliment. Covid-19 has had a greater impact on my mental health than not being able to go to Pride Park, whilst still being able to view the games online.

Each of us will take make our decisions based on our own circumstances but we are gradually learning what we can do to protect ourselves. Getting in a car and driving 100 miles was never a problem if distancing was observed. We won't go back to how things were with the lockdown in April but getting back into Pride Park may not happen very quickly. I would renew my season ticket on the basis of free access online until actually going to the ground was possible, and safe.

17 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

A friend of mine is a school governor and what the government are saying regarding kids going back to school in the numbers suggested is a logistical nightmare as regards separation.

Someone posted earlier about how good people had behaved when the pubs reopened this weekend,that doesn't appear to be the case from the news i have seen.

Mrs Pesley is a school governor too - they have the exact same nightmare. And as we've seen with care homes today - if the schools going back causes a massive spike it will be blamed on the schools for not following the impossible guidelines rather than the guidelines being impossible

As for the pubs reopening, yes the news focussed on the unruly drinkers whose paucity of brain cells are rendered inoperable by booze, leading to a free for all. Plenty of sedate safe drinking going on elsewhere by people with a sense of responsibility. The problem is that those two groups are currently largely separated by the class of establishment they choose to drink in. A football match will be an ungodly clash of the two. I'm out

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

We won’t actually know the true impact of CV19 for a long time yet but the very worst estimate I’ve seen is that 10% of the population might have had it, of whom only a very small percentage have died. Terrible if you’re one of those people but the odds of catching CV19 and then dying are low.

I don't think it's just the dying, when you look at some of the other horrible things it does to the body...

I'm quite amazed at people downplaying how many people have died and in the same breath saying we need to get back to normal.

How many people would have died without the restrictions we have lived through. 

Obviously we have to transition back to how things were, but I really don't see us going from empty stadiums to full ones in one fell swoop.

Archived