Live football thread.

Rev

18 hours ago, richinspain said:

So the response from VAR is a ☑️! Can't they just say "offside/onside" or "goal/no goal "?

Ah I saw you beat me to it. 

Yeah, you're asking them to simplify their roles. I have a feeling VAR training includes a hefty dose of corporate bs. 

Probably do all the blue sky thinking, reach for low hanging fruit, take it offline, have idea showers etc etc. 

I imagine the guys who explain the procedure for using VAR have job titles like Response Intelligence Data Analysis Technician. Probably get 80k per year and certainly don't want common sense and logic simplifying such a technological marvel. 

"Check complete. Data analysed. Decision pending. Resume flight path Falcon Two. Cleared to restart." 

On 02/10/2023 at 09:07, Gaspode said:

Given the rapid advances in AI and machine learning, you'd have thought they could have trained something up that does a better job than the clowns in the VAR shed - though a well trained chimpanzee would probably be an improvement...

I've been thinking about this too. I can see some challenges in terms of what can be coded, but you'd think this would be an 'upgrade' in the not too distant future, if indeed it's not feasible already. The single point of failure in the current VAR system is clearly the human interactions, as the tech itself is sound.

Arsenal 1-0 City

People went over the top saying City could go the season undefeated. Their first six games of the season were all straightforward games with Newcastle at home being the hardest on paper.

Liverpool have had a far tougher start with Brighton, Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea away.

I think Liverpool will fancy their chances this season looking at how City look a lot weaker from last season. I still think Liverpool are a better side than Arsenal who have also had a pretty easy start.

As for City. They look so much weaker without Rodri, KDB and Gundogan which was their first choice midfield last season. Mahrez will be a miss too. Doku, Alvarez and Lewis are still levels off world class while Kovacic is average.

Liverpool will win the league this season.

Full time result 9-1 vs a semi-decent Serbia side. The football Lee Carsley has this U21 side playing is incredible, European champions too. When Warne leaves the first thing Clowes needs to do is beg him to manage us, elite manager.

11 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Full time result 9-1 vs a semi-decent Serbia side. The football Lee Carsley has this U21 side playing is incredible, European champions too. When Warne leaves the first thing Clowes needs to do is beg him to manage us, elite manager.

Carsley will be on the shortlist for the main England job. Should have tried to get him years ago.

11 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I don't think Carsley would leave a role within the England team to manage Derby.

It would represent a risk bringing in a manager who has never held a permanent job in senior club management.

7 hours ago, CongletonRam said:

I don't think Carsley would leave a role within the England team to manage Derby.

It would represent a risk bringing in a manager who has never held a permanent job in senior club management.

The risk would mainly be to Carsley's reputation. It would certainly be a step down for him - from pivotal role in the England setup to manager of a 3rd division side who don't have a reputation for stability