Overrated and Underrated Bands

sage

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Overrated: Thinking that your taste in music should be everyones.

Underrated: Recognising that appreciation of music is subjective, individual and should be enjoyed, rather than analysed.

?

Bravo Angie, there’s load of bands/singers don’t do it for me but if they float somebody else’s boat that’s fine by me and better still, if that music/lyrics inspires someone to sit down at or pick up an instrument and learn how to play it it’s got to be a good thing. 

I think music is good for the soul whatever genre strikes a chord with the listener.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underrated: Recognising that appreciation of music is subjective, individual and should be enjoyed, rather than analysed.

?

Substitute football or Derby County for music and there's no forum.

Obviously I would never criticise someone for liking a certain band... Unless it's Queen  ?

?

Be honest, your favourite's are Jive Bunny and the master mixers and Ottawan.

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Be honest, your favourite's are Jive Bunny and the master mixers and Ottawan.

And if they are, that's fine.

Actually,  I like Queen, Michael Jackson, The Who, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Deep Purple, Savage Garden, Dexey's Midnight Runners, Stevie Wonder, Gerry Rafferty, Whitney Houston, Quincy Jones, Jack the Lad, Supertramp and 10cc. All of whom I expect someone to think of as overrated.

Ask me tomorrow and the list will be different,  but equally long.

Similar to Angie’s point I think overrated music is always within context. Ie I’m not bothered by the music of Stereophonics but after a couple of hours of drab music on radio 2 I’m quite ready for some Stereophonics!

A modern band I think are vastly underrated are British Sea Power. A properly inventive band with their own sound and personality. In some ways they probably aren’t that underrated per se but defo under appreciated  in terms of radio play and attention.

Two others Id consider underrated are The Band and Bobbie Gentry. Both are too easily forgotten 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

?

You are of course right. 

I don't like certain bands but do enjoy bands others would find niche at best. 

I rarely say bands/acts are rubbish just that I don't particularly like them. 

I don't think any of the bands listed here are actually poor at what they do, it's just that regular airplay and media attention have elevated them beyond their normal importance or status. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wish to swap Foo Fighters for The Ramones. Thanks 

How very dare you! They would even have considered themselves to be criminally underrated!

In all seriousness with The Ramones the trick is to listen to one album and put away. If you end up listening to nothing but Ramones then it really drags and you won’t go near it for years. The first few albums are perfection but like most ‘punk’, it’s very much of its time 

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

And if they are, that's fine.

Actually,  I like Queen, Michael Jackson, The Who, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Deep Purple, Savage Garden, Dexey's Midnight Runners, Stevie Wonder, Gerry Rafferty, Whitney Houston, Quincy Jones, Jack the Lad, Supertramp and 10cc. All of whom I expect someone to think of as overrated.

Ask me tomorrow and the list will be different,  but equally long.

So you don't rate Bananarama then. Pfft.

In all seriousness, I agree with you completely. Music Nazis are incredibly tiresome specimens. Just like what you like and let others do the same. I've apparently got terrible taste in music, but I couldn't care less.

Overrated - everything! The most overrated are bands/artists who released one or two good albums 20, 30, 40 years ago and have done nothing of particular note collectively or individually since of any relevance, living purely on past glories.

Whilst there's some debate to be had for quality over quantity,  but it does somewhat mystify me that somebody can be described as a songwriting genius when it takes them 15 years to write and record 10 new songs.

Underrated is a funny thing - I've looked through 3 pages of people naming bands/artists that are all fairly well known and/or have dedicated followings. If you name a band and the majority of people are familiar with their work, they can't really be considered underrated!

The only truly underrated bands are the ones which have slipped past the general public's collective consciousness

13 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Overrated - everything! The most overrated are bands/artists who released one or two good albums 20, 30, 40 years ago and have done nothing of particular note collectively or individually since of any relevance, living purely on past glories.

Whilst there's some debate to be had for quality over quantity,  but it does somewhat mystify me that somebody can be described as a songwriting genius when it takes them 15 years to write and record 10 new songs.

Underrated is a funny thing - I've looked through 3 pages of people naming bands/artists that are all fairly well known and/or have dedicated followings. If you name a band and the majority of people are familiar with their work, they can't really be considered underrated!

The only truly underrated bands are the ones which have slipped past the general public's collective consciousness

They are two terrible band names 

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Over rated - The Beatles - They were just a boy band.

Under rated - The Wedding Present - The most beautiful love songs ever written.

@Inverurie Ram you having that son.?

@MuespachRam I'm having that son........100%...........all day and all of the night................

and The Kinks absolutely blow The Beatles to smithereens..........

On 31 May 2020 at 13:27, Kinder said:

I was expecting pelters! Sorry, I’ve tried but they just don’t do it for me. Saw them supporting the Frank & Walters in Edwards in Brum in 90 / 91 and thought they were crap then. Still do I’m afraid.

I've still got my orange Frank & Walters t-shirt with purple letters, same design as this one in the loft. Great band.

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Coconut said:

So,  I win then? as I said...

The Beatles

and

The Wedding Present

Just now, Inverurie Ram said:

I've still got my orange Frank & Walters t-shirt with purple letters, same design as this one in the loft. Great band.

image.jpeg

I saw a blind man he was eating his fork, he said that's what you have to do to be cool, you eat your cutlery instead of your food...… genius.

Brilliant, brilliant band.

Archived