Overrated and Underrated Bands

sage

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sage said:

Overrated - Queen

Underrated - Squeeze

Agree with this .  You can get Chris Difford to come round your house for the day and give you a song writing class for £1500

3 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Overrated - The Stone Roses.

Underrated - The Pretenders.

Best british band in the last thirty years for my money the best was condensed in one lp to be fair,

I believe that the Pretenders song 'time the avenger' was named after Chrissie Hynde saw it under a clock in Swadlincote. Perhaps she was there visiting Sid Vicious mum who lived near the dry ski slope . All true

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Overrated - Foo Fighters

Underrated - Foals

Sort of know what your saying .  But the first album was all Dave Grohl and that's the best one.

Overrated- Courteneers/1975/ any Camden based Brit pop band after mid 1995- bloody awful

Underrated- feeder/ bad news circa 1983

Bit of both- Talking heads/red hot chilli peppers. Some great tunes and some total dirge.

Overrated - Coldplay

Underrated - Vampire Weekend 

I was going to suggest The Beatles for overrated but feared meltdown. I’m from the generation that’s expected to love them but their music mostly leaves me unmoved.

16 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Overrated - Coldplay

Underrated - Vampire Weekend 

I was going to suggest The Beatles for overrated but feared meltdown. I’m from the generation that’s expected to love them but their music mostly leaves me unmoved.

Agree with you re the Beatles.

I'm going for:

overrated - the Rolling Stones
underrates - the Proclaimers

ps. Can you tell I'm in the Zep camp?

I was expecting pelters! Sorry, I’ve tried but they just don’t do it for me. Saw them supporting the Frank & Walters in Edwards in Brum in 90 / 91 and thought they were crap then. Still do I’m afraid.

1 minute ago, Kinder said:

I was expecting pelters! Sorry, I’ve tried but they just don’t do it for me. Saw them supporting the Frank & Walters in Edwards in Brum in 90 / 91 and thought they were crap then. Still do I’m afraid.

No worries mate. These kind of threads I think become a love and hate opportunity, and Radiohead probably slit the love/hate divide pretty equally. I think each of the band are technically good, in fact a couple are outstanding musicians, and they continue to experiment with their music each album. 

(in 1990 they were still known as On a Friday I think - about 91/92 they changed their name to Radiohead)

Like Paul Heaton too ?

I can’t believe what I’m reading, overrated   The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Radiohead?!?!?!?! Haha I need a shower after reading such filth 

16 hours ago, sage said:

Overrated - Queen

Underrated - Squeeze

Queen were great up until 'The Game'. I think they got it back with the release of 'The Works' though.

Overrated - Guns 'n' Roses. Axl is the weakpoint...his voice just grates on me.

Underrated - UFO - Should have been huge but for Michael Schenker quitting back in 1979.

6 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Queen were great up until 'The Game'. I think they got it back with the release of 'The Works' though.

Overrated - Guns 'n' Roses. Axl is the weakpoint...his voice just grates on me.

Underrated - UFO - Should have been huge but for Michael Schenker quitting back in 1979.

Guns n roses lost there main songwriter when Izzy Stradlin left, Axl's response to this was too go on a rant about people he didn't like as a starting point for any song, which was most people.  That's when they lost it . Great till then .

Is Michael Schenker the one who owns all Jimi Hendrix guitars, or is it his brother.  A few quid there I would imagine.

Archived