Overrated and Underrated Bands

sage

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I've still got my orange Frank & Walters t-shirt with purple letters, same design as this one in the loft. Great band.

image.jpeg

I had the same one! I had loads of great T-shirts - Carter, The Cure, The Cult, Chillis, Maiden, Metallica - but I chucked them all away years ago. Wish I’d kept some of them. All I’ve got now is a Carter 40 Something long sleeved top from when I saw them a few years ago.

On 31/05/2020 at 13:39, i-Ram said:

No worries mate. These kind of threads I think become a love and hate opportunity, and Radiohead probably slit the love/hate divide pretty equally. I think each of the band are technically good, in fact a couple are outstanding musicians, and they continue to experiment with their music each album. 

(in 1990 they were still known as On a Friday I think - about 91/92 they changed their name to Radiohead)

Like Paul Heaton too ?

I’ve just had a look and it was October 92. 

I’ll keep trying with Radiohead, maybe it will click one day!

I am a massive rock fan so people may never have heard of some of  these but...

Over rated: smashing pumpkins, they've got one or two good ones but that's it.

Metallica, I really love a couple of Metallica songs and they're good live but they don't deserve the hype they have in the rock community.

Biffy Clyro, same as metallica a couple of good ones but nothing special...

System of a down, just not a fan at all

Slipknot, not too bad but stone sour are so much better!

Underrated: black stone cherry, one of the best bands I have ever seen live.

Airborne, purely amazing in my eyes.

A guy called Ted Nugent, if you like Led Zepplin listen to a song of his called stranglehold ?

The qemists... very pendulum(ish) if you like them.

Kasabian, massive range on all albums top notch ?

3 doors down, quite simply brilliant... away from the sun is still one of my favourite albums ever.

Shine down, went to see them support my favourite band Iron Maiden, to this day the only support act I've ever seen which were better.

3 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Metallica, I really love a couple of Metallica songs and they're good live but they don't deserve the hype they have in the rock community.

A guy called Ted Nugent, if you like Led Zepplin listen to a song of his called stranglehold ?

3 doors down, quite simply brilliant... away from the sun is still one of my favourite albums ever.

Shine down, went to see them support my favourite band Iron Maiden, to this day the only support act I've ever seen which were better.

You can ditch those sounds for a few years buddy. Postman Pat and the Wheels on the Bus for you for some while.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You can ditch those sounds for a few years buddy. Postman Pat and the Wheels on the Bus for you for some while.

You say that but I have a 3 year old step daughter who made me play guns n Rose's sweet child of mine (our family song) whilst i was on bath duty earlier. Besides, postman Pat was a personal favourite as a child.

44 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Ted Nugent, really?

In that case, I'll keep the Smiths/Morrissey albums on the rack.

28 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Shine down and Black stone cherry were at Download in 2018 when I braved it to see G n'Roses. They were both pretty good as were Thunder on the day.  Never heard of the qemists but I always think of Pendulum as Prodigy light- will give them a go though.. Kasabian there albums are good apart from the second one which left me a bit cold.

Smashing Pumpkins . Have another listen  . Siamese Dream is one of the top records I've heard just in front of Melancholy. The two best bands I've seen live were Ash and Stereophonics.

31 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

You say that but I have a 3 year old step daughter who made me play guns n Rose's sweet child of mine (our family song) whilst i was on bath duty earlier. Besides, postman Pat was a personal favourite as a child.

My mate is very into most of the heavier bands in that list. In fact his band plays a lot of them .  So his kids here this stuff a lot. Always strange to hear a 5 yr old sing about Mr Brownstone .

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Ted Nugent, really?

Never take down The Smiths, if you do, the closest you'll get to Johnny Marr on the shelf is replacing them with lp's by Electronic. You wouldn't want that.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Shine down and Black stone cherry were at Download in 2018 when I braved it to see G n'Roses. They were both pretty good as were Thunder on the day.  Never heard of the qemists but I always think of Pendulum as Prodigy light- will give them a go though.. Kasabian there albums are good apart from the second one which left me a bit cold.

Smashing Pumpkins . Have another listen  . Siamese Dream is one of the top records I've heard just in front of Melancholy. The two best bands I've seen live were Ash and Stereophonics.

My mate is very into most of the heavier bands in that list. In fact his band plays a lot of them .  So his kids here this stuff a lot. Always strange to hear a 5 yr old sing about Mr Brownstone .

Shine down and black stone cherry are two of the best bands I've seen live and I've seen ALOT. if you like prodigy/pendulum I would reccomend the qemists... especially 'lost weekend' or 'jungle'

My music taste comes from my mum and dad... I was born in 1992 but absolutely love queen, guns n Rose's, iron maiden, simple minds, dire straights, black sabbath, deep purple, led zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, zz top, ac/dc... can even throw in some Duran Duran, adam and the ants, boney m, 10cc. 

I like modern rock too but you cant beat the classics... if my daughter is rocking out to maiden in a Derby shirt in 10 years time I'll know I've done something right. ??

14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Ted Nugent, really?

More a case of stranglehold being one of my favourite songs... he has a few good songs but that song in general is massively underrated in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Missed the bit about best live bands, never seen Ash but stereophonics were amazing when I went to see the I'm Nottingham... sunny was a personal favourite.

27 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Missed the bit about best live bands, never seen Ash but stereophonics were amazing when I went to see the I'm Nottingham... sunny was a personal favourite.

Went a bit of thread regarding the live bands. But yes, been to some good ones in my youth 89- 96 really. Ash I saw when I was in The Netherlands doing some work , they happened to be playing at a club. Suede at the Assembly Rooms was a good one. Still Brett Andersons favourite gig . Saw Oasis at the Warehouse on Friargate in 94 I think when someone gave me a ticket.  Weirdest one was Nirvana in Nottimgham polytechnic when Kurt Cobain latched on to me and apologised for a crap gig . it was bad, but he seemed a very insecure fella and I asked him to sign my t-shirt as I felt sorry for him.  Never thought they would get so huge.  Always strange when you see someone before they get massive in a small venue. Had a plumber who went drinking with AC/DC in Burton after they a gig when they first started. 

Did hear a story on Radio Derby once about Iron Maiden.  Some fella in Normanton ran a football team in the 80's . Out of the blue he got contacted by Iron Maidens management saying they were playing a gig locally and understood he was running a football tournament that weekend, as the band were keen footballers they would like to partake as they had nothing else on during there wind down time, or similar - was about 6 or 7 years ago that I heard the story on the radio . Blokes thinks it's a wind up till the tour bus turns up parked outside his house the next day. Apparantly, they were a lot of fun and had a fair few drinks into the evening as well.

11 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Shine down and black stone cherry are two of the best bands I've seen live and I've seen ALOT. if you like prodigy/pendulum I would reccomend the qemists... especially 'lost weekend' or 'jungle'

My music taste comes from my mum and dad... I was born in 1992 but absolutely love queen, guns n Rose's, iron maiden, simple minds, dire straights, black sabbath, deep purple, led zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, zz top, ac/dc... can even throw in some Duran Duran, adam and the ants, boney m, 10cc. 

I like modern rock too but you cant beat the classics... if my daughter is rocking out to maiden in a Derby shirt in 10 years time I'll know I've done something right. ??

I love a list that demonstrates eclectic tastes! 

Recall on this forum many moons ago I said The Beatles were overrated.  

People will always say but have you heard so and so album track...nope. But off the top of my head I could name 20 or 30 of their songs and I don't really particularly love any of them. Yep, massive band but just not really for me. 

My underrated tip - Depeche Mode. Honestly, so many good songs over decades, totally underrated. 

Disagree with Smashing Pumpkins too as overrated. Very diverse back catalogue. 

15 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Haven’t seen Metallica for years and I probably wouldn’t these days as I’m not fussed on stadium gigs but in the 80’s live they were brilliant.

Like Black Stone Cherry,never seen them but might if possible.

Don’t mind Shinedown and love Maiden,that’s good  that they came across so well.

If we have a choice we like going to small club gigs these days.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I love a list that demonstrates eclectic tastes! 

Honestly my spotify random playlist could go queen, kasabian, Shania Twain, red hot chilli peppers, simple minds (and mark Knophler), kiss, R.E.M, Jimi Hendrix... near enough anything I like. Eminem for some rap, Ed Sheeran I've even seen Katy Perry live. If it's good I'll listen to it ?

Archived