Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

27 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Liam rosenior said in an interview at the start of lockdown, that he and the scouting team had watched over a thousand players in preparation for the transfer window. 
if that was the case then why are we not making moves for players?

whats the benefit in not moving early in the market. There are some good free agents about at the moment and we are letting them get picked off by all the other clubs

Why do you think we are not making moves?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jimbobram said:

if that was the case then why are we not making moves for players?

I thought that the one piece of FFP rules that was clear cut was that you couldn't sign anyone if your accounts were overdue.

Presumably, now we have secured additional funding, we can file the accounts and start signing.

This is from memory, so may be out of date.

(I think if you owe the Tax office anything then you are also, temporarily, restricted - not suggesting that applies to us)

8 hours ago, jimbobram said:

So what? What difference does a point deduction make? If we get a transfer embargo, would make sense to get players in now 

Lots of reasons. 

As stated above we may not be allowed at this stage.

Yhe tribunal could affect our FFP strategy

Many players would be cautious about joining a club not knowing whether they will start the season at -12 points or not.

Thats ignoring the fact that covid will cost us over £15m this season. 

I think from looking at the squad that has started preseason Cocu is reconsidering where he'll 'splash' any transfer funds if no-one goes out.

I imagine that the EFL decision is causing a problem in negotiating - with players cautious or asking for more financial inducement. There's still a very long transfer window open before 'signing/not signing panic' sets in. 

Lots of players will be re-assessing what they can demand, as will some teams.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think from looking at the squad that has started preseason Cocu is reconsidering where he'll 'splash' any transfer funds if no-one goes out.

I imagine that the EFL decision is causing a problem in negotiating - with players cautious or asking for more financial inducement. There's still a very long transfer window open before 'signing/not signing panic' sets in. 

I’d be very worried if after a full season, after making multiple comments over what we wanted and an extended break with very little to do because you can’t even go to the training ground if Cocu still didn’t know what he wanted based on a multitude of potential scenarios. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d be very worried if after a full season, after making multiple comments over what we wanted and an extended break with very little to do because you can’t even go to the training ground if Cocu still didn’t know what he wanted based on a multitude of potential scenarios. 

The 'multitude of potential scenarios' are still ALL dependant on other 'players', and are constantly changing - ie what other teams offer/sell/buy and what players want/accept. I'm sure he has preferences.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The 'multitude of potential scenarios' are still ALL dependant on other 'players', and are constantly changing - ie what other teams offer/sell/buy and what players want/accept. I'm sure he has preferences.

I know they are. But my point is he will have several shortlists depending on who stays/who goes or if targets go to different teams etc. He won’t still be evaluating the squad. 

Just now, Srg said:

I know they are. But my point is he will have several shortlists depending on who stays/who goes or if targets go to different teams etc. He won’t still be evaluating the squad. 

Why not? Youngsters develop at different rates, there were several in the picture that were somewhat unexpected.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why not? Youngsters develop at different rates, there were several in the picture that were somewhat unexpected.

So here you’re saying that the academy staff do not communicate with Cocu’s staff, academy players haven’t already been training with the first team, Cocu’s incompetent when it comes to preparation or that suddenly these players, without training, have just solved all our problems in the last 3 weeks... or all of those things. Either way, ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

So here you’re saying that the academy staff do not communicate with Cocu’s staff, academy players haven’t already been training with the first team, Cocu’s incompetent when it comes to preparation or that suddenly these players, without training, have just solved all our problems in the last 3 weeks... or all of those things. Either way, ridiculous. 

No, you said those things and I agree what you said is ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

That’s exactly what you’ve implied. 

No it isn't. I implied no such thing, that is what you decided to negatively read into it.

If Cocu isn't being flexible in his assessments of the squads needs and wants I would be very surprised. If he decides to look over young players and consider their development, using others information to inform his decision, I would also not be surprised. If that assessment and priorities change owing to the current situation then it would be as I'd expect. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think this is a fair assessment as we sit in the middle of August but our window is open until the middle of October so everything can change quickly and it will depend on how desperate clubs are for money including us 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I think this is a fair assessment as we sit in the middle of August but our window is open until the middle of October so everything can change quickly and it will depend on how desperate clubs are for money including us 

Good point. 2 months left to make signings, lots of players available on frees and lots of clubs with financial uncertainty. Cocu happy with what he’s got while knowing where we need to improve. Patience tricky, with others around us making signings, but we need it

1 hour ago, Shadowplay said:

Certainly ticks a lot of boxes;

left footed, good with the ball at his feet, can carry the ball out of defence and also a strong presence in both boxes - it’s a yes from me

27 as well so would probably be getting his prime years. Coming from Charlton as well I doubt his wage would be too bad either

Archived