Clubs going bust !

Seaside Ram

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They're not opposing viewpoints though? You can be worried about your football club, and still concerned with the virus. I don't know how you could compare your football club to just another business, though. 

It's not my football club, I'm a customer, A season ticket holder, Football is a business, Businesses are going bust now, Why should football be any different, Attended some 1400+ games from 54 years of watching DCFC.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TramRam said:

It's not my football club, I'm a customer, A season ticket holder, Football is a business, Businesses are going bust now, Why should football be any different, Attended some 1400+ games from 54 years of watching DCFC.

I just can't believe you can attend so many games yet look at it like another faceless business. I've attended games for less than 20% of the time you have, yet I have so many amazing memories of going to games, I'd be destroyed if the club had to close. 

39 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Appears you've done your time. I must say I heartily disagree.  People are trekking through this in there own way, but for a city to lose it's football club would be a massive loss.  It's one of the most normal things many people do.  Perhaps football doesn't push your buttons as much as it used too, I certainly put myself in that bracket, but it's essential for normality and personally I would be very unhappy to see Derby with no Derby County. I' sure all the pubs in the city centre would as well, it's there lifeblood when this is over if it ever is.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I just can't believe you can attend so many games yet look at it like another faceless business. I've attended games for less than 20% of the time you have, yet I have so many amazing memories of going to games, I'd be destroyed if the club had to close. 

I've got amazing memories, 2nd division Champions, 1st division Champions twice, European cup campaigns, League cup and FA cup runs, Play off finals, Beating Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Untd, Spurs, Chelsea when we were great, Beating Rotherham on a Friday night to get out of Division 3, Beating Forest 4-1 when we were Cr*p.

Away games in the 70s and 80s if you didn't get smacked by an away fan you got thumped by OB, Being served swill at half time, Crammed onto trains that cattle once used, Being refused a drink in a pub because you supported "your" club, I have a 1000 stories and more as have countless supporters of my age.

Am I lucky to have supported DCFC all this time, Or have DCFC been lucky to have had me spend god knows how much loot in all those years, No one put a gun to my head to support DCFC it was my choice and my life way back then, When football meant something to me.

Now it's all about £££££s, Football sold it's soul to the TV companys, We're dictated by them, A Saturday 3pm kick off at home is as rare as a full house at the City Ground, Once we have handed over our £100s of pounds for a season ticket we've given them all the aces in the pack.

I understand your devotion to DCFC(I was there once)those who share your commitment to DCFC will share your views I'd guess, Now I see football a little different, Bill Shankly once said " Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that" For me it's just a game.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure you'd be able to keep your house after a 98.8% reduction in pay.

Aren’t you back at school yet.

32 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I've got amazing memories, 2nd division Champions, 1st division Champions twice, European cup campaigns, League cup and FA cup runs, Play off finals, Beating Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Untd, Spurs, Chelsea when we were great, Beating Rotherham on a Friday night to get out of Division 3, Beating Forest 4-1 when we were Cr*p.

Away games in the 70s and 80s if you didn't get smacked by an away fan you got thumped by OB, Being served swill at half time, Crammed onto trains that cattle once used, Being refused a drink in a pub because you supported "your" club, I have a 1000 stories and more as have countless supporters of my age.

Am I lucky to have supported DCFC all this time, Or have DCFC been lucky to have had me spend god knows how much loot in all those years, No one put a gun to my head to support DCFC it was my choice and my life way back then, When football meant something to me.

Now it's all about £££££s, Football sold it's soul to the TV companys, We're dictated by them, A Saturday 3pm kick off at home is as rare as a full house at the City Ground, Once we have handed over our £100s of pounds for a season ticket we've given them all the aces in the pack.

I understand your devotion to DCFC(I was there once)those who share your commitment to DCFC will share your views I'd guess, Now I see football a little different, Bill Shankly once said " Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that" For me it's just a game.

Please don't dash my dreams, I'm too young to remember the 70's. I'm still waiting for the big time.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

Some clubs took legal advice that said players could still train at home, keep, themselves fit and in theory be available for selection. The FA and EFL have not declared the season over, so the players could be called back at any time..... 

Hence, clubs couldn't furlough. 

However, some clubs have ignored the legal advice and furloughed. 

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure you'd be able to keep your house after a 98.8% reduction in pay.

You do realise most footballers at championship level could buy a very nice five bedroom house in the best area of the country with a years wage and still have 100 k spare change. Think they've probably got a few quid put aside. At least the bit not invested in film and television tax relief schemes. Your analogy is a mockery to those who really are in this situation.  Sorry.

OF course it's a worry for us and probably every club bar a very few.

Yes, perspective, if Derby County went bust, we wouldn't all immediately commit ritual harikari, but it would be deeply sad for many of us. As for the club just being a business, well, yes, but it's not about the products and services supplied really is it, it's about the love we pour onto the club and about what they represent to us.

The financial problems this is causing are clear to see, but I think people are perhaps over-worrying with respect to football clubs specifically. I’m pretty sure we’ll be playing games again in a month or so, and we’ll play all the games we were meant to, as well as the entirety of next season in a tighter time frame. Obviously they’ll be a loss in revenue from matchday income which will have a big impact, but I don’t think it’ll threaten clubs survival at this level. There should be enough coming in from TV money and streaming, advertising etc to keep them afloat - provided players/staff agree wage deferrals in the mean time until the money starts coming back in. Derby have managed that today, so I don’t think we have too much to worry about. I suspect most clubs will manage the same. 

Its the clubs in lower/non league that I’d be really worried for. Seasons are being cancelled and match-day revenue is their main source of income. I really struggle to see how most teams will survive without some sort of financial support from a higher level. If they don’t get it, I think the majority of non league clubs could cease to exist, and the amateur game will change forever.

I'm surprised if some clubs don't go bust. Clubs like Bolton who were in trouble even before all this must be in real trouble. My no.2 club Port Vale almost went bust a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if this time they would actually do it.

I don't want to talk down this virus currently ruining the lives of people by taking lives and creating more unemployed folks around the world. But one thing about Derby County and other clubs too is that it's not just about the current players, staff and fans, Its about a hundred and 150 years of those and the memories, triumphs and tragedies within the club and its history. So if we lose any clubs we will lose more than just the present. I think it's a huge loss should it happen for some virus or an a$$hole owner on his/hers egotrip.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You do realise most footballers at championship level could buy a very nice five bedroom house in the best area of the country with a years wage and still have 100 k spare change. Think they've probably got a few quid put aside. At least the bit not invested in film and television tax relief schemes. Your analogy is a mockery to those who really are in this situation.  Sorry.

I’m sorry but a sudden 98.8% reduction in salary is not fair in any walk of life. More so for those on the lower end of the Championship pay grade.

7 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Some clubs took legal advice that said players could still train at home, keep, themselves fit and in theory be available for selection. The FA and EFL have not declared the season over, so the players could be called back at any time..... 

Hence, clubs couldn't furlough. 

However, some clubs have ignored the legal advice and furloughed. 

That's a very good point.

I read somewhere, early on, that anyone who is furloughed is not allowed to work (for that employer) until the furlough is lifted.  Not so much as answer the 'phone once, open the mail, pay an invoice or others' wages etc.  Cleaners wouldn't be able to pop in once a week instead of daily, to run a duster over the desks.  Salesmen wouldn't be able to finalise that deal.  If the office phone is diverted to your mobile/home, or the salesman continues to sell remotely from home, they are still working, and shouldn't therefore be furloughed. 

Assuming that is correct, it could be argued that footballers training/keeping fit at home are continuing to work, as that is of course a big part of their job.  I'd presume any player popping in to receive ongoing treatment from the physio would/could be classed as "still working"?  

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

I have a feeling that players would then be able to freely seek alternative employment due to breach of contract. 

39 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That's a very good point.

I read somewhere, early on, that anyone who is furloughed is not allowed to work (for that employer) until the furlough is lifted.  Not so much as answer the 'phone once, open the mail, pay an invoice or others' wages etc.  Cleaners wouldn't be able to pop in once a week instead of daily, to run a duster over the desks.  Salesmen wouldn't be able to finalise that deal.  If the office phone is diverted to your mobile/home, or the salesman continues to sell remotely from home, they are still working, and shouldn't therefore be furloughed. 

Assuming that is correct, it could be argued that footballers training/keeping fit at home are continuing to work, as that is of course a big part of their job.  I'd presume any player popping in to receive ongoing treatment from the physio would/could be classed as "still working"?  

Furloughed staff are allowed to still be active for their company if they are engaged in non-revenue generating activity. Training is specifically listed as acceptable. Footballers training could be seen as any other kind of training in a company, I would have thought.

36 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I have a feeling that players would then be able to freely seek alternative employment due to breach of contract. 

Why? No different to any other employees? Plus I said all clubs should agree. 
if a club goes bust, players will be free to walk anyway. 

8 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Please don't dash my dreams, I'm too young to remember the 70's. I'm still waiting for the big time.

Dreaming that One day DCFC will be a club of the 70s again, I dream of being 25 again but know it wont happen, Multi Billionaires are now involved in football... with the exclusion of Norwich and look at the parlous state they are in, Hemorrhaging money, Skys Billions gave them a wish, They chased the rainbow, Still in a Cup competition, A slim chance the Premier League could be cancelled, So not all lost.

Now to the Political part, Take a look at Newcastle and their prospective owners, Saudi Arabia a murderous state, Their Women are 2nd class citizens, They Assasinate those who speak against their regime, Kidnap female Royal family members, And bomb a defenceless people in South Yemen.

I doubt the Bar Codes are bothered where the money comes from, I'd hesitate to say most Derby fans would probably say the same, I have both Sky and BT sports, Once contracts have run out I'll not re-new.

Sorry to dash your dreams, It's dreams that keep supporters going, I hope for Derby supporters sanity those dreams don't turn into nightmares, And imho...it wont.

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why? No different to any other employees? Plus I said all clubs should agree. 
if a club goes bust, players will be free to walk anyway. 

Very very different to other employees. The contracts are fixed-term and the player is deemed an asset! 

Archived