Clubs going bust !

Seaside Ram

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

Both parties have to agree. Would you? 
Of course if you don’t agree then what does a club do to a player worth millions? Sack him?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

Furloughed staff are allowed to still be active for their company if they are engaged in non-revenue generating activity. Training is specifically listed as acceptable. Footballers training could be seen as any other kind of training in a company, I would have thought.

Probably a slight difference in that in your average Joe’s role, training usually isn’t absolutely necessary for them to be able to perform their role when they get back, whereas remaining fit and sharp is part and parcel of a footballer’s role. When 5/7 days in their working week are spent training, could it really be argued that they aren’t breaking the terms of furlough by doing their training at home? I don’t really know the answer to that but just a thought, maybe a slight grey area.

11 hours ago, TramRam said:

Away games in the 70s and 80s if you didn't get smacked by an away fan you got thumped by OB, Being served swill at half time, Crammed onto trains that cattle once used, Being refused a drink in a pub because you supported "your" club

God I miss those days.

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

As people's income increases, they tend to spend more too. Some may even hire staff around their own house - security, gardeners, cooks, etc... If the footballers were furloughed, those staff would have to be let go as the footballer could no longer afford their services. Most will have larger homes then you and I, so bills will be considerably larger - maybe even paying for their parents/siblings too.

Until the Premier League and EFL join together, clubs lower than the top division will always suffer. The gap between the top and us is so large, owners are banking on teams to gain promotion with 3-4 years before usually selling up or trying to find more investment. It can't keep going on like this. The Premier League could offer a tiny percentage of their profit to the EFL to boost prize money, allowing clubs to stay above the red line. Sadly, the EFL as proven by the investigation into so many clubs like us, they couldn't give a damn about the football clubs or fans. I hate to see football teams go under, the EFL need to start focusing on owners who clear don't have the financial power to keep the clubs going forward, rather than going after ourselves, who have an owner willing to invest. But the Premier League need to do the right thing and filter down the money to the football league clubs. As Gary Neville said the other day, the money that would be lost by the Premier League to the EFL would make zero difference to them, zero.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As people's income increases, they tend to spend more too. Some may even hire staff around their own house - security, gardeners, cooks, etc... If the footballers were furloughed, those staff would have to be let go as the footballer could no longer afford their services. Most will have larger homes then you and I, so bills will be considerably larger - maybe even paying for their parents/siblings too.

That’s before you even consider the implications around tax revenue. Let’s say Derby’s wage bill is circa £1.5m a month (guesswork, probably even more than this), depending on how the player’s affairs are arranged this would be benefitting the Exchequer to the tune of £750k per month. Furloughing them would then cost the Exchequer that £750k as well as another £60k odd now society is paying their wages. 

So it would cost the taxpayer just the £2.5m over three months, for one football club. Can’t see any problem with the idea whatsoever.

28 minutes ago, TramRam said:

The 70s, A mad decade where fun was fun and you stuck 2 fingers up to authority ?

I hate authority ,probably relates back to my youth with Mods and Rockers which was the start of rebellion against the establishment.  The 60's was an absolute fantastic time to be a teenager . 

32 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I hate authority ,probably relates back to my youth with Mods and Rockers which was the start of rebellion against the establishment.  The 60's was an absolute fantastic time to be a teenager . 

Just reached my teans by the end of the 60s, Born in 56, Skinheads and Punks was my era, Doc Martins, Skinners, Fred Perrys, Ben Sherman shirts, The Crombie for those cold nights in the Popside, Brown Loafers for a few beers down town, Not forgetting the metal wedge you had put in the heal of said shoes by the cobbler on Sadler Gate(I think), Sta Prest trousers, Dog tooth checked trousers, And when a pint of Double Diamond was 12p.

I can see my Dads face(passed away)with utter shock when I was dressed to the 9s

Aye, Them were the days youth....lol

Maybe one or two league clubs will fold at the most. Then they'll restart in division 10 and work their way back up. And I'd be surprised if it was that many. Derby will still be here.

People get too dramatic about things in football - it doesn't exist in the real world. 

30 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Harry Fenton’s on Babbington Lane one of your shops of choice for your clobber @TramRam ?

Actually, I don’t think it was on Babbington Lane now I come to think of it, I left Derby in ‘76 so the memory ain’t what it was.

Yes it sure was, Sadler Gate then turned into a shop called "Clobber", His and Hers was down the bottom of Sadler Gate, A bit swanky for the more refined customer...so count me ooot.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

Just reached my teans by the end of the 60s, Born in 56, Skinheads and Punks was my era, Doc Martins, Skinners, Fred Perrys, Ben Sherman shirts, The Crombie for those cold nights in the Popside, Brown Loafers for a few beers down town, Not forgetting the metal wedge you had put in the heal of said shoes by the cobbler on Sadler Gate(I think), Sta Prest trousers, Dog tooth checked trousers, And when a pint of Double Diamond was 12p.

I can see my Dads face(passed away)with utter shock when I was dressed to the 9s

Aye, Them were the days youth....lol

"SEGS"...

ae28d982a544d75271faee71bd349a6f.jpg

?

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

"SEGS"...

ae28d982a544d75271faee71bd349a6f.jpg

?

Segs were a poor mans quarter moon wedge, Buy new shoes, Wear them for a week or so to show the cobbler where the wedge should go, Then off to the Cobbers to cut quarter moon piece out of the heel and fit...a dozen lads from Chadd on the lash would burst your eardrums ?

2 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Segs were a poor mans quarter moon wedge, Buy new shoes, Wear them for a week or so to show the cobbler where the wedge should go, Then off to the Cobbers to cut quarter moon piece out of the heel and fit...a dozen lads from Chadd on the lash would burst your eardrums ?

Didn't know that... I thought the term "SEGS" covered them all?... although I've no idea why they were called that?
Anyway... yes, I would have had the poor man's ones anyway, so you're not wrong there!  ?

I'm 7 years behind you.  I guess Punk would have been my (mid-teens) era, but wasn't my scene.  I wasn't into music or fashion... which is probably a good thing, as having 3 elder sisters, I'd have probably ended up wearing white trousers with a tartan scarf hand-stitched to each leg!   ?

?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Didn't know that... I thought the term "SEGS" covered them all?... although I've no idea why they were called that?
Anyway... yes, I would have had the poor man's ones anyway, so you're not wrong there!  ?

I'm 7 years behind you.  I guess Punk would have been my (mid-teens) era, but wasn't my scene.  I wasn't into music or fashion... which is probably a good thing, as having 3 elder sisters, I'd have probably ended up wearing white trousers with a tartan scarf hand-stitched to each leg!   ?

?

Segs were a do it yourself, Toe and heel, After a while and forever climbing bus stairs and the like, They'd fall off, Ah the Bay City Rollers eh, I was more Slade, Sweet and The Jam, But as the 70s turned into the 80s, Thatcherism, Dole queues, 2 kids, Soon put a stop to being "Trendy" Levis/Wranglers and trainers were the order of the day with any T shirt.

Good job you weren't to wear hand me downs from your Sisters ?

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m sorry but a sudden 98.8% reduction in salary is not fair in any walk of life. More so for those on the lower end of the Championship pay grade.

Its a deferment -temporarily. It's a moot point as that's not happening anyway. Even the lowest paid championship footballers will be on twenty times the average salary.  Perhaps swap the 150 k motor for one a bit more reasonable.  You are fully entitled to your own opinion of course, my standpoint is I'll save my sympathy for those I feel warrant it more.

4 hours ago, TramRam said:

Segs were a do it yourself, Toe and heel, After a while and forever climbing bus stairs and the like, They'd fall off, Ah the Bay City Rollers eh, I was more Slade, Sweet and The Jam, But as the 70s turned into the 80s, Thatcherism, Dole queues, 2 kids, Soon put a stop to being "Trendy" Levis/Wranglers and trainers were the order of the day with any T shirt.

Good job you weren't to wear hand me downs from your Sisters ?

Who said I didn't!   ?

On 28/04/2020 at 23:14, CWC1983 said:

Some clubs took legal advice that said players could still train at home, keep, themselves fit and in theory be available for selection. The FA and EFL have not declared the season over, so the players could be called back at any time..... 

Hence, clubs couldn't furlough. 

However, some clubs have ignored the legal advice and furloughed. 

Furlough terms are you cannot be called back for first 3 weeks after anyone can be called from one day to the next

Archived