Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 25/10/2019 at 23:29, r4derby said:

Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon

took my kids to see it. As one listener emailed into Mayo and Kermode put it (loosely translated), Aardman know how to make universally pleasing good film. My 5 and 6 year olds loved it, I enjoyed it and the 60 year old at the end of my row certainly enjoyed it.

8/10

I saw this. Loved it, so did the kids and so did Her Indoors. From the set piece slapstick stuff to the little alien in-jokes (like a cafe called 'Milliways') to the cutesiness. Laughed all the way through.

On 02/11/2019 at 00:08, dcfcfan1 said:

Yeah, thats the issue. No matter how poo life gets, or how bad you feel, self pity is the worst thing for your overall happiness. Having said that when the joker shot the host I wasnt like "What a terrible person", I was more like "Take that you popular celebrity shithead". Dangerous right? But its only a film. But some people have it so hard in life, they think like that all the time. Now that really dangerous. 

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth

No spoilers please!

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The majority of effects were still old fashioned models.

But they were excellent as was the film, probably a good example that CGI mixed with old fashioned special effects is more pleasing on the eye than a total CGI fest they seem to go for today

Same with The Thing in 1982. Still chilling today what they achieved.

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

Same with The Thing in 1982. Still chilling today what they achieved.

Never seen it. Will have to take a look

Us.

Horror about a family on holiday, who are confronted by their evil dopplegangers.

I don't really understand all the hype around this when it came out. It was OK but nothing more than that, with some weird plot holes & a twist that doesn't really make sense in the context of the story. Good acting & music, though.

Jordan Peele's other film: Get Out, was far better.

6/10

On 02/11/2019 at 01:28, Alpha said:

I bet The Shining looks dated and pants now.

Nope, not at all. Because it doesn't rely on special effects for the jumps. If you are into The Shining you should also watch Room 237 - a documentary about the film made after Kubrick's death. It's part conspiracy theory, part homage to a great film maker but I really enjoyed it. I guarantee after it you will want to go back and watch The Shining again.

Edited by BaaLocks

On 28/09/2019 at 13:10, maxjam said:

This short film I stumbled across on youtube was very good, well worth 14 minutes of your life!

I didn't get it - is the point that he did something to her later in life that he regretted and wants to save her from it?

On 02/11/2019 at 00:28, Alpha said:

I bet The Shining looks dated and pants now.

26 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Nope, not at all. Because it doesn't rely on special effects for the jumps.

Quite right. It was never an effects laden film. Visually stunning throughout but very few visual effects to age.

I never found it particularly scary, though, unlike the book.

The later TV Mini-series verison is worth a watch, as it's a lot closer to the book - and endorsed by Stephen King, who hated the Kubrick film version.

The Good Liar:
I don't normally do films, but I enjoyed this.  Probably a 9/10 for me.  There's a twist, of course,, but never too much for my simple brain!

Finally, after all these years, I now know why a lot of my generation rave about that Helen Mirren sort.  I can see where they're coming from! I may have a new crush, now Mary Berry has left our screens!

Apparently, it ends differently to the book... but I don't read books either (apart from footy biographies!), so I cannot confirm.

Finally, I don't very often visit cinemas... maybe once every couple of years on average?... Have to say the Odean Luxe at The Meteor Centre was something of a revelation!  Spacious comfy leather recliners, bar, Costa, all very civilised and spotlessly clean throughout.  I'd be happy to go twice a year now.  Who knew!

Mudbound (Netflix):
Sorry, but 2 films in one evening is just too much for me... and it was gone 10:30... I nodded off after 15 minutes!  Might try again soon.  It looked like it was worth a go, at least!

Hope this helps.  ?

……………………………………………………………….
image.png.de4e28eef3d2f11793b04036b85b5575.png
May the fallen rest in peace.
May those that return, have the fortune to live in peace.

The Perfect Host

I love it when I find a film I've never heard of on Amazon Prime & it ends up being good. This one's really good:

IMDB: Injured after committing a bank robbery, John Taylor is desperate to find a place to hide out and approaches the home of Warick Wilson. John manages to get himself invited into the house by posing as a friend of a friend and spinning a sob story of lost luggage and a violent mugging. Inside, Warick, a consummate host, is making the final preparations for an impeccable dinner party. He insists John stay for the party, but as the evening begins it becomes obvious Warick may not be what he first appears.

David Hyde Pierce (Niles, from Frasier) is fantastic in this weird, twisty thriller

9/10

On 05/11/2019 at 07:14, TimRam said:

I've been having a catchup on the Harry Potter film series after seeing the first with my nephews. Just seen Order of the Phoenix. Darker than the first set of films but not all the better for it. In fact very dull in parts. 5/10.

As a fan of the books, I didn’t like the movie adaptations until the last 2 (double parter of the final book)

Rewatched with my wife earlier this year. Enjoyed them more, the next one won’t fill you with joy either, but the Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2 are good films that round the series off

58 minutes ago, r4derby said:

As a fan of the books, I didn’t like the movie adaptations until the last 2 (double parter of the final book)

Rewatched with my wife earlier this year. Enjoyed them more, the next one won’t fill you with joy either, but the Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2 are good films that round the series off

I don't mind the films, but they aren't a patch on the books. The changes they made to the ending of Deathly Hallows (e.g. skipping Harry's final speech in the Great Hall and a certain someone exploding into thousands of pieces rather than crumpling to the floor) were almost unforgivable IMO. It completely missed the point. I still enjoy watching them though, simply because I love the series.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7