Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

15 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The Menu

Comedy horror set in a fancy restaurant.

Well done but satarises something so utterly shallow that it's all but pointless to satarise it.

6/10

Indeed. I was wanting the entire cast to die horribly within minutes of starting the film, so not much in the way of 'jeopardy' for me. Honestly, it all felt a little too pleased with itself, which is a shame as it's beautifully filmed.

The Platform, Netflix 1hr 34 minutes, "a twisted social allegory about mankind at its darkest and hungriest" (Netflix's description)

Truly excellent film, drawn in immediately and carries an obvious and strong message without being over political. Good acting performances all around and couldn't take my eyes off it. 

A solid Bobby Davison 8/10

The Super Mario Bros Movie.

Apparently loved by the fans having being panned by the critics. Now the biggest ever opening to an animated film and I read it's nailed on to be the biggest grossing film of this year.

Having spent a lot of time with Miss Wolfie during and since the lockdowns in the Mario games universe, we really enjoyed this. If you're familiar with the games & characters, there's a lot of fun to be had in this film.

8/10 - 90 mins of joy for our household.

Good luck to you Leo Grande (free on Prime)

"Retired widow Nancy Stokes hires a good-looking young sex worker called Leo Grande, in the hope of enjoying a night of pleasure and self-discovery after an unfulfilling married life".

Emma Thompson (who I love) and Daryl McCormack (who I didn't know at all but was very good) in pretty much the only roles in this very interesting film, set in a hotel room and featuring mainly just conversations between the two of them - and a bit of flesh towards the end.

Enjoyed this a lot

8/10

Went to see Interstellar at the BFI IMAX (biggest screen in the country) at the weekend, as they're doing a Christopher Nolan season in the run-up to Oppenheimer. I felt it was much better now than when first released - maybe ahead of its time?

"We're not meant to save the world - we're meant to leave it".

A movie that also educates the viewer about special relativity. What's not to like? Almost perfect. Is it going to replace Inception or Eternal Sunshine as my favourite film? I can't quite decide, but something like a Charlie George/10.

The Batman.

If you look up style over substance in the dictionary it says The Batman.

I'm stuck halfway through and cannot make myself go back.

It's not that it's bad and the cinematography is great, it's just a bit boring and Batman is just a surly knob.

Does it get better?

Wrong thread I know, but I am really getting into Tulsa King now, definitely gets better with each episode. 

Linoluem - wow, this is a tough one to describe. Little bit Donnie Darko, little bit Inside Number 9 (one particular episode), little bit The Notebook, little bit A Man Called Otto. Plot is that an out of sorts scientist suddenly finds a lot of weird things going on around him and tries to piece them all together, at the same time as trying to work out what to do with a booster rocket that has landed in his garden.

It's very gentle and rolling, pitched as sci-fi comedy but in reality is neither. If you like small town America movies, with a bit of mid-life angst and soul searching thrown in then it's a good watch. Doesn't quite end as strongly as you would like but it's a good feel good choice. Yeah, give it a go.

So pick your player who you didn't expect much from but was actually good value even if their career ended in not quite the same highlights as the middle, then rate him out of ten and that's what I give it.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Went to see Interstellar at the BFI IMAX (biggest screen in the country) at the weekend, as they're doing a Christopher Nolan season in the run-up to Oppenheimer. I felt it was much better now than when first released - maybe ahead of its time?

A movie that also educates the viewer about special relativity. What's not to like? Almost perfect. Is it going to replace Inception or Eternal Sunshine as my favourite film? I can't quite decide, but something like a Charlie George/10.

Possibly my favourite film, so much so, I dedicated some forearm to it.

image.png.4c6d1390fc42b5fd4978d1a8aec93f2a.png

• 4 weeks later...

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3.

I've seen the other 2 and seem to recall I kinda liked them. I'm definitely no Marvel super fan but do enjoy the more knockabout fun films from that genre.

Absolutely loved it. Lots of laughs, a riot of colour and unbelievably good cgi effects..coupled with a surprisingly melancholy storyline about mistreatment of animals and a kickass soundtrack.  Slightly flagged nearer the end but a really good 'cinema' film.

9 out of 10

Last week I went back to the IMAX for Christopher Nolan's Inception. I've always loved it to the extent it's long been in my top 3, perhaps alternating with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  for the number 1 spot. But after also having rewatched Interstellar recently, I think they've switched places in my head. Because Interstellar matters. It;s not just a brilliant movie, it's a brilliant movie with a message about the importance of becoming a scientific, spacefaring civilization to Humanity's future. Yes Inception is a work of screenwriting and directing genius, with incredible imagination. But it's also slightly "meh" because, although I love dreams and these questions about the nature of reality, it's not as pressing. It's not as relevant. It's probably still a Colin Todd out of 10 because it's so very good, but I surprise myself by saying Interstellar  is better. Which should make @Mostyn6happy!

On 13/04/2023 at 23:56, Carl Sagan said:

On 14/04/2023 at 09:16, Mostyn6 said:

Possibly my favourite film, so much so, I dedicated some forearm to it.

image.png.4c6d1390fc42b5fd4978d1a8aec93f2a.png

My favourite film of all time. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Maybe I need to revisit Interstellar. 🤔

That's several on here having it as their favourite of all time . Didn't enjoy it the one time I saw it. Maybe it just caught me on the wrong day. Wouldn't be difficult!

Watch it in a dark room with good quality speakers for the best experience. And maybe a funny cigarette, but you didn't hear that from me.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7