Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

What We Do in the Shadows .

Passed me by til now and I do love Flight of the Conchords so I'm not sure why...

Amusing, knowing and clever, in a not laugh out loud way.

Like Anchorman it made me laugh and feel happy all the way through, without being really hilarious/quotable at first glance but I think with repeated viewing it would be.

Really enjoyed it. Not sure if the series is as good?

8/10

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

What We Do in the Shadows .

Passed me by til now and I do love Flight of the Conchords so I'm not sure why...

Amusing, knowing and clever, in a not laugh out loud way.

Like Anchorman it made me laugh and feel happy all the way through, without being really hilarious/quotable at first glance but I think with repeated viewing it would be.

Really enjoyed it. Not sure if the series is as good?

8/10

Series is excellent, short episodes so you can binge or dip in and out, definately worth a watch

Edited by Baj

Saw Matrix Resurrections this evening. Very low expectations after poor reviews. It was fine. Bit slow to start, but becomes more Matrixy as the film goes on. I enjoyed it, without much of it likely to stick with me for very long. They didn’t need to make it and who knows if they will carry on making more

The Foreigner

It stars Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan, but it's the most un-Jackie film I've seen - it would have been a brilliant Bond film (no surprise - it's directed by Martin Campbell), apart from the simple fact that Jackie, and not Pierce, was on the side of right. Chan kicks ass, but there's so much more to this film than nifty Kung Fu moves - and absolutely no hamming it up.

I was spellbound from start to finish.

9/10.

I LOVED The Gentleman that has been mentioned in this thread and Lock, Stock is one of my favourite films of all time, so I was looking forward to watch the new Guy Ritchie, Wrath of Man last night.

I'm pretty sure Ritchie was on some of sponsored-cliche for charity during the first 20 minutes, as the script was just awful.

I'd have stopped right then and there if he hadn't made it and built up some trust equity.

It did get somewhat better, but I'm really not convinced that security guards saunter back to their armed vehicles chatting with $2m on a sack truck wearing no head or protection.

Statham is fairly charismatic, but he's nevertheless Jason Statham in every movie. The only real need I can think of to make him British is that he can't do accents. Sliding in one joke about him being a Limey and one-line about him going back to London doesn't really cover up the fact there was no benefit to the plot.

As I said, it got somewhat better, but the ending felt rushed and didn't make a fat lot of sense. I'll not say any more than that for fear of spoiling the plat.

Mark Pembridge/10

On 07/01/2022 at 23:43, r4derby said:

Saw Matrix Resurrections this evening. Very low expectations after poor reviews. It was fine. Bit slow to start, but becomes more Matrixy as the film goes on. I enjoyed it, without much of it likely to stick with me for very long. They didn’t need to make it and who knows if they will carry on making more

Saw it the same night. Agree with your assessment, but would add I liked the pacing of the beginning. Too often films rush along nowadays. 

Not especially memorable but if they were going to do it, the way they did it worked pretty well. People say "never go back", but sometimes we do. Slightly better than an Andre Wisdom/10 but I can't think of another player with 2 stints to compare it with. 

A Quiet Place 2:

absolutely love Emily Blunt, this may suppress any negative evaluation of her work. I did enjoy the first film, but in this film I found myself automatically being annoyed by the daughter! There’s also a part in the film for Cillian Murphy. 

The film could actually be a re-imagining of the first movie. There’s actually nothing to suggest it’s a sequel! Still a decent enough watch, with enough intensity to keep you interested. 

Branko Strupar/10

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

A Quiet Place 2:

absolutely love Emily Blunt, this may suppress any negative evaluation of her work. I did enjoy the first film, but in this film I found myself automatically being annoyed by the daughter! There’s also a part in the film for Cillian Murphy. 

The film could actually be a re-imagining of the first movie. There’s actually nothing to suggest it’s a sequel! Still a decent enough watch, with enough intensity to keep you interested. 

Branko Strupar/10

Watched this last night.  Agree it could almost be a re-run of the first film from a different angle.  We enjoyed it as much as the first.  Krasinski, who I also like as an actor (waiting for the return of Jack Ryan on Prime) directs very well.  Emily Blunt. Yep.  7/10

I tried to watch 2001: a space odyssey again the other night.

I get that it was groundbreaking at the time (1968) and the effects and sets are great but I've only managed to sit through it all once (managed the first hour this time).

It's just so slow and feels way too "arty" and really self-indulgent. Looooong scenes of bugger all happening and hardly any dialogue. I felt like I was evolving faster than the storytelling of human evolution on screen.

9/10 for the influence on later films. 3/10 as a viewing experience.

For me, 2010 was a far more rewarding watch.

Edited by Wolfie

Eternals - hot on the heels of the distinctly dim and dull Black Widow and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, the MCU's latest regurgitation is probably the worst of the lot. A run time of 2h 36m really doesn't add anything when the storyline is wafer thin in the first place and this does rather feel where the trend of the MCU disappearing fully up it's own harris was finally completed. 

Hard to criticise the immensely talented Chloé Zhao, as you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but compare and contrast Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight to her Eternals and one can't help but think that perhaps Marvel's ever expanding 'universe' took a wrong turn and has now been swallowed by a black hole. 

Conor Salmon with his feet tied together / 10

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Eternals - hot on the heels of the distinctly dim and dull Black Widow and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, the MCU's latest regurgitation is probably the worst of the lot. A run time of 2h 36m really doesn't add anything when the storyline is wafer thin in the first place and this does rather feel where the trend of the MCU disappearing fully up it's own harris was finally completed. 

Hard to criticise the immensely talented Chloé Zhao, as you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but compare and contrast Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight to her Eternals and one can't help but think that perhaps Marvel's ever expanding 'universe' took a wrong turn and has now been swallowed by a black hole. 

Conor Salmon with his feet tied together / 10

I’m a fan of the MCU and Marvel in general, and I can’t disagree with too much of that summary. The film all feels a bit out of of place from even the ‘ever-expanding multiverse’, introducing a lot of new heroes who don’t appear to add much and are bland.

I did enjoy Black Widow and Shang-Chi though. Maybe it is becoming a thing for the fans, with audiences becoming more split as more knowledge of the universe is required to watch the films. I’m just hoping this years slate of films (which looks promising) is more along the Ragnarok/Black Panther mold.

On 15/12/2021 at 10:13, Jubbs said:

Watched Don't Look Up yesterday at the cinema. 5/10

The IMDB ratings are pretty good on this but I thought it was incredibly slow and boring. There were a couple of funny moments in but for saying it's got quite an all star cast (Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill, Leo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett), I thought it was quite poor.

It's coming out on Netflix soon anyway, save yourself the money and watch it on there instead. 

On 26/12/2021 at 22:28, mozza said:

Watched it tonight on Netflix , enjoyed it, 8/10..

8/10 from me as well. Really enjoyed it.

Played with the usual disaster movie cliches and with a decent satrirical edge to it.

Mean Streets (1973)

Gets a Stefano Eranio/10 purely for the opening titles.

Just pure class.

Don't Look Up (2021)

Satire with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and goes on for far too long. If I were right wing I'd call it 'Preachy woke baalocks', but I'll instead stick with calling it a Claude Davies.

The King's Man (2021)

Silly fun with a couple of twists you don't expect but comes across as not really knowing what it's meant to be. Apparently it's a prequel to something called Kingsman which I've never heard of. Kind of comic book stuff. Craig Fagan out of 5.

Edited by JoetheRam

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Man: No Way Home - hits some high notes without being truly memorable. A big step up on recent MCU output nonetheless. A rather contrived plot does nevertheless lead to some fun scenes, but overall, perhaps a little light on substance.

6.5/10

King Richard - surprisingly engaging depiction of the rise and rise of Serena and Venus under their allegedly pushy parent. Sugar-coated, without becoming saccharine. Some strong performances from the principles, I quite liked it.

7/10