Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 13/05/2024 at 19:22, Jubbs said:

Bullet Train has been added to Netflix. 

Action/comedy with a few big names like Brad Pitt and Aaron Taylor-Johnson. 

Multiple assassins all find themselves on a bullet train unknowingly having the same mission.

It's an enjoyable watch and one to not take too seriously.

7.5/10

Watched this last week, and you about summed it up.

I find it always much better when an action film leans into the stupidity/implausability (yes a character really does jump on the back of a moving bullet train, climb up the rear cab and smash the windscreen with his fist 😂) than trying to have you believe it's a real world scenario

8/10 (extra half a point for Bryan Tyree Henry going from Paperboi in Atlanta to playing a cockney obsessed with Thomas The Tank Engine!)

Spaceballs

Typical Mel Brooks - some wonderful moments (jamming the radar and. of course, "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate") and some quite lame, old and jaded - but in truth, they are more to do with the envisaged technology 35 years ago. Rick Moranis is brilliant as 'Dark Helmet'.

A solid Ronnie Webster / 10.

Edited by Eddie

The Killer - 2 hours of boring first person narration, of a frankly who cares plot, frankly the Smiths soundtrack is the only saving grace.

Secario - 2 hours of perfectly paced action, great performances from all the leads, a good way to pass the second half of a holiday flight.

I believe there are follow up movies, I'll follow them up in anticipation. 

Watched it for the first time at the iMax last week - definitely a film to see on the big screen. One question (spoilers).

Interstellar: why didn't they work on a cure for the blight and use the tesseract to travel back to a time when they could stop it breaking out?

Sleeping Dogs.

Feels like it incoporates an awful lot of movie tropes. A grizzled, heavy drinking Detective, struggling with his memory who's re-investigating the murder of a professor but are there dark forces inside the force trying to prevent him uncovering the truth....

Russell Crowe in the lead is very convincing. Karen Gillan is gorgeous as ever.

Could have been naff and contrived but its execution was really good so I was pretty engaged in it.

7/10

Edited by Chester40

Watched Smile in prep for watching the sequel. 
Boring, predictable and lazy. 
A Demon haunts a psychiatrist by appearing as various sinister smiling characters. It’s horror like you’ve seen it before a million times. 

It’s actually quite amusing how often it seems to go out of its way to nail a cliché. Name something and it’s in here. Even if it doesn’t fit then it’s crammed in. All the characters feel like they’ve been lifted from any run of the mill horror film, there’s some weird hospital/therapist setting/procedure that makes no sense, side characters just push the plot forward and none of them act in a believable way. 
The sinister smile is the only thing that sold this film. It’s cack 

Stephen ‘one trick pony’ Pearson/10

Edited by Alph

Parallel Mothers (subtitles). Another quality Pedro Almodevar film starring Penelope Cruz. Two women who have babies at the same time in the same hospital are drawn together by events out of their control. If you like Almodevar, you'll love this. 8/10

I see you (Leaving Netflix in a few days)

Decent twisty thriller with Helen Hunt playing the mother of an unhappy family with the backdrop of children being abducted in their town. The plot changes tack a few times & can’t really say much more for plot spoilers. 
We both enjoyed it

7/10

12 hours ago, Alph said:

Watched Smile in prep for watching the sequel. 
Boring, predictable and lazy. 
A Demon haunts a psychiatrist by appearing as various sinister smiling characters. It’s horror like you’ve seen it before a million times. 

It’s actually quite amusing how often it seems to go out of its way to nail a cliché. Name something and it’s in here. Even if it doesn’t fit then it’s crammed in. All the characters feel like they’ve been lifted from any run of the mill horror film, there’s some weird hospital/therapist setting/procedure that makes no sense, side characters just push the plot forward and none of them act in a believable way. 
The sinister smile is the only thing that sold this film. It’s cack 

Stephen ‘one trick pony’ Pearson/10

Agree with that. 

It reminded me a lot of It Follows, with the idea of people being stalked by an unstoppable evil. 

It Follows was a far better film, though. 

The Listener - 5/10

Bad Boys : Ride or Die - 6/10

I Saw The TV Glow - 7/10

Hit Man - 7/10

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker - 4/10

Furiosa A Mad Max Saga - 7/10

Beverly Hills Cop : Axel F - 7/10

In a Violent Nature - 8/10

The Watchers - 4/10

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 8/10

The Instigators - 7/10

No One Will Save You - 7/10

Deadpool & Wolverine - 8/10

Twisters - 7/10

Trap - 1/10

Longlegs - 7/10

The Killer (2024) - 4/10

Assassin (2015) - 2/10

A Quiet Place : Day One - 8/10

Milk & Serial - 6/10

After Hours - 7/10

Last Straw - 5/10

Wolfs - 7/10

Strange Darlings - 7/10

18 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The Listener - 5/10

Bad Boys : Ride or Die - 6/10

I Saw The TV Glow - 7/10

Hit Man - 7/10

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker - 4/10

Furiosa A Mad Max Saga - 7/10

Beverly Hills Cop : Axel F - 7/10

In a Violent Nature - 8/10

The Watchers - 4/10

The Instigators - 7/10

No One Will Save You - 7/10

Deadpool & Wolverine - 8/10

Twisters - 7/10

Trap - 1/10

Longlegs - 7/10

The Killer (2024) - 4/10

Assassin (2015) - 2/10

A Quiet Place : Day One - 8/10

Milk & Serial - 6/10

After Hours - 7/10

Last Straw - 5/10

Wolfs - 7/10

Strange Darlings - 7/10

Quiet night in?

47 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Can't remember what rating I gave this, but I remember it left me a little disappointed overall, though the two "Jessies" were very good. 

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Can't remember what rating I gave this, but I remember it left me a little disappointed overall, though the two "Jessies" were very good. 

I really liked it.  The way the story unfolded and tied itself up.  It helped that I was able to look at it from Jake's POV instead of hers.  I could watch Jessie Buckley in anything, she's great in everything, but Wild Rose is a corker.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I could watch Jessie Buckley in anything,

Me too - I've a had a little crush on her since she played Princess Marya in War & Peace on BBCTV.

Have you heard her album with Bernard Butler (For All Our Days That Tear Our Heart)? It's a beautiful album.

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Me too - I've a had a little crush on her since she played Princess Marya in War & Peace on BBCTV.

Have you heard her album with Bernard Butler (For All Our Days That Tear Our Heart)? It's a beautiful album.

You may already have seen it, but if not, she's excellent in Wicked Little Letters which also boasts the ever brilliant Olivia Coleman doing Olivia Coleman things. Definitely worth a watch.

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

She's great in Wicked Little Letters - which is also a very good watch and was grand in Taboo. Jessie Buckley, Timothy Spall, Olivia Coleman all in the same film was hardly likely to come up short.

33 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

You may already have seen it, but if not, she's excellent in Wicked Little Letters which also boasts the ever brilliant Olivia Coleman doing Olivia Coleman things. Definitely worth a watch.

Not yet, but I think it's now on Netflix, so soon, hopefully.