Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 17/02/2023 at 20:56, Alpha said:

Dead Man's Shoes. 

Watched it a lot of times and it's still one of the most intense and haunting films. Paddy Considine is magic 

10/10. 

On 17/02/2023 at 22:52, 86 Hair Islands said:

Don't know how you can watch it many times, despite the fact that it really is excellent. Harrowing from start to finish with almost no respite. For a mild-mannered chap in real life, Considine is bloody terrifying! 

Burton on Trent’s finest!

There was new a film on Netflix called White Noise last year about a train derailment and toxic chemical release in a place called East Palestine, Ohio in the US.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/ohio-governor-issues-new-evacuation-order-for-east-palestine-warning-of-possible-tank-car-explosion/

Is someone taking the pish or is it a tremendous coincidence?

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There was new a film on Netflix called White Noise last year about a train derailment and toxic chemical release in a place called East Palestine, Ohio in the US.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/ohio-governor-issues-new-evacuation-order-for-east-palestine-warning-of-possible-tank-car-explosion/

Is someone taking the pish or is it a tremendous coincidence?

Strange if true. By another coincidence, I tried to watch this on Netflix last night, but really couldn't get into it. An interesting classic disaster movie wrapped in "relationship drama" with a very odd script. It could be I just wasn't in the mood for something that challenging. 

On 22/02/2023 at 00:28, uttoxram75 said:

Dark Waters...A class action against Dupont...a great watch

Money Machine...I knew what happened on Oct 1st 2017 in Las Vegas but not the reason why...money at it's worse

I've finally started watching the Star Wars films with Miss Wolfie, so kicked it off with A New Hope (obviously).

Unfortunately I wish I'd gone with the original version, rather than the re-issue one - with pointless (and "weightless") CGI creatures added in, which just seems to interrupt the narrative and actually add nothing. Worst of all is the scene with the CGI Jabba the Hutt, who is far too small and where they just repeat the dialogue from the previous cantina scene.

Normally 8/10. this version 6/10.

Been burning my way through the Studio Ghibli films with my girlfriend as she's off to Japan in a few weeks. All fantastic 8s and 9s. Beautifully animated, and just leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling, but my favourites are Spirited Away (9), My Neighbor Totoro (9) and Kiki's Delivery Service (8).

Ant-Man Quantumania. CGI-fest, standard MCU fare, but this one actually feels important as it is starting to setup the new arc. Somewhere between the best phase 4 (Wakanda Forever) and the worst (Eternals) for me. 7/10

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Been burning my way through the Studio Ghibli films with my girlfriend as she's off to Japan in a few weeks. All fantastic 8s and 9s. Beautifully animated, and just leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling, but my favourites are Spirited Away (9), My Neighbor Totoro (9) and Kiki's Delivery Service (8).

Ant-Man Quantumania. CGI-fest, standard MCU fare, but this one actually feels important as it is starting to setup the new arc. Somewhere between the best phase 4 (Wakanda Forever) and the worst (Eternals) for me. 7/10

I've seen there are a lot of animated Japanese (I think) films on Netflix recently. Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc. No idea why, but I've always felt like they'll be really depressing and so I've avoided them. Am I being ignorant?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've seen there are a lot of animated Japanese (I think) films on Netflix recently. Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc. No idea why, but I've always felt like they'll be really depressing and so I've avoided them. Am I being ignorant?

I dion't find them at all depressing. They can be dark; very dark in the case of something like Princess Mononoke; but I find them incredibly uplifting. Give one or two a go. You might find you want to watch them all. I did.

22 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Two you've not mentioned that I would put in there are Ponyo and Grave Of The Fireflies (which is beyond immense). The scene in Spirited Away when the parents turn into (spoiler alert!) pigs is just amazing as well. But yes, amazing to watch and deeply thought provoking on many levels.

18 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I dion't find them at all depressing. They can be dark; very dark in the case of something like Princess Mononoke; but I find them incredibly uplifting. Give one or two a go. You might find you want to watch them all. I did.

Can you recommend a couple for a newbie please mate. Never seen a single one. 

20 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There are some darker themes in some of them, Princess Mononoke (as per @AndyinLiverpool) and Howl's Moving Castle because of their basis around conflict, I found the former especially tough to watch as it's heavy on the mysticism too.

Others are more light-hearted and easy-going, but they all have their heart warming moments.

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Can you recommend a couple for a newbie please mate. Never seen a single one. 

I'll thoroughly recommend Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro as good entry points. I'd also recommend watching them with subtitles rather than the dubbed versions - with the exception of Kiki's Delivery Service, JiJi (the cat) is better voiced in the English version - it just seems better on the immersion, but it won't ruin it if you choose the English voices, I know subtitles can grate on some people!

Edited by Animal is a Ram

40 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

There are some darker themes in some of them, Princess Mononoke (as per @AndyinLiverpool) and Howl's Moving Castle because of their basis around conflict, I found the former especially tough to watch as it's heavy on the mysticism too.

Others are more light-hearted and easy-going, but they all have their heart warming moments.

I'll thoroughly recommend Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro as good entry points. I'd also recommend watching them with subtitles rather than the dubbed versions - with the exception of Kiki's Delivery Service, JiJi (the cat) is better voiced in the English version - it just seems better on the immersion, but it won't ruin it if you choose the English voices, I know subtitles can grate on some people!

31 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Princess Mononoke

Howl's Moving Castle

When Marnie was There

Kiki's Delivery Service

These are my particular favouries. The first 2 are dark but beautiful. The other 2 are less dark but just as beautiful.

Thanks Gents, much obliged.

20 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thanks both.