Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

St Georges Day (2012). Recorded this a while back so unsure if it's on anywhere else. Brit gangster thriller with a cast including Craig Fairbrass, Charles Dance, Sean Pertwee and Keeley Hazell (unexpected character!)  7.5/10. Not bad at all.

Edited by TimRam

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

St Georges Day (2012). Recorded this a while back so unsure if it's on anywhere else. Brit gangster thriller with a cast including Craig Fairbrass, Charles Dance, Sean Pertwee and Keeley Hazell (unexpected character!)  7.5/10. Not bad at all.

I haven't seen this but I do think Charles Dance is a very under-rated actor. One of few who can portray a page of script in a couple of facial expressions & I could watch him all day long.

43 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I haven't seen this but I do think Charles Dance is a very under-rated actor. One of few who can portray a page of script in a couple of facial expressions & I could watch him all day long.

And listen to him. He has a brilliant voice. Just watched the Lancaster documentary and he fitted that perfectly.

Prey

Predator prequel movie on Disney+

I'm not a huge fan of the Predator movies tbh, I saw the original at the cinema many moons ago which I enjoyed but the rest range from kinda meh to utter crap imho.  This was pretty good though, it had the feel of the original in places despite the different setting and the action sequences at the end were far better than the CGI'd bit in the middle.

7/10

Watched A Simple Plan on BBC IPlayer last night. Reminded me of the Fargo series (probably because it was set in Minnesota and starred Billy Bob Thornton ? but also because of the way the story line developed. A strong 8/10

Also watched Rogue Agent the night before. Good film based on a remarkable true story. 7.5/10.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Watched A Simple Plan on BBC IPlayer last night. Reminded me of the Fargo series (probably because it was set in Minnesota and starred Billy Bob Thornton ? but also because of the way the story line developed. A strong 8/10

Also watched Rogue Agent the night before. Good film based on a remarkable true story. 7.5/10.

Great film, Simple Plan 

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

40th anniversary showing of Tron at local cinema. Yes it was that long ago. The effects and plot have stood up well (as a side note 1942-1982 is the same time period!). 8/10.

Suspicious Will Ferrell GIF

Used to love Tron. I'm also one of the few who liked the sequel.

I see they're doing 40th anniversary showings of Star Trek: Wrath of Khan in early September. I'm going to have to go to one of those!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bullet Train

I guess Brad Pitt looks kinda cool in a bucket hat which is an acheivement for someone who's nearly 60. Anyone who isn't Reni from the Stone Roses come to think of it.  That's about as good as it gets (Japanese versions of Stayin' Alive and Holding Out for a Hero in the soundtrack aside).

I really don't know how I got dragged to see this. It's like the director decided he loves Guy Ritchie films, wishes he could have made Snakes on a Plane and once had Kill Bill vol. 1 described to him over a bad telephone line and he decided to combine these elements into one corned beef hash of a film.

Obviously these type of picture aren't going to be high art but there's no excuse for lines like "He follows me around like...something witty".

And it just goes on and on and on (as films tend to do these days) - this kind of brainless action should be 90 minutes tops, this is 125 for absolutely no reason other than to increases the product placement time of a bottle of Fuji artesian water (which has more backstory than most of the main characters).

Oh and one character (definitely inspired by Tyrone from Snatch) seems to have based his entire outlook on life from watching Thomas the Tank engine. Fine if he's a minor character and this is a small quirk revealed in a clever way (it gives an irreverent post modern touch) but somehow this ends up being a central tenet of the film.

Absolute Mascarell.

Edited by JoetheRam

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once at the weekend as it's now on Amazon Prime. A unique film, definitely my favourite of 2022 so far

Incredibly creative, enjoyable film although I can see why people didn't like it.

9/10

Edited by Jubbs

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2022 at 12:03, JoetheRam said:

Bullet Train

I guess Brad Pitt looks kinda cool in a bucket hat which is an acheivement for someone who's nearly 60. Anyone who isn't Reni from the Stone Roses come to think of it.  That's about as good as it gets (Japanese versions of Stayin' Alive and Holding Out for a Hero in the soundtrack aside).

I really don't know how I got dragged to see this. It's like the director decided he loves Guy Ritchie films, wishes he could have made Snakes on a Plane and once had Kill Bill vol. 1 described to him over a bad telephone line and he decided to combine these elements into one corned beef hash of a film.

Obviously these type of picture aren't going to be high art but there's no excuse for lines like "He follows me around like...something witty".

And it just goes on and on and on (as films tend to do these days) - this kind of brainless action should be 90 minutes tops, this is 125 for absolutely no reason other than to increases the product placement time of a bottle of Fuji artesian water (which has more backstory than most of the main characters).

Oh and one character (definitely inspired by Tyrone from Snatch) seems to have based his entire outlook on life from watching Thomas the Tank engine. Fine if he's a minor character and this is a small quirk revealed in a clever way (it gives an irreverent post modern touch) but somehow this ends up being a central tenet of the film.

Absolute Mascarell.

I watched it tonight and whilst I agree it's 20 mins too long, I really enjoyed it. 

Popcorn Movie. I took Popcorn and a pinch of salt 

On 06/09/2022 at 16:05, Jubbs said:

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once at the weekend as it's now on Amazon Prime. A unique film, definitely my favourite of 2022 so far

Incredibly creative, enjoyable film although I can see why people didn't like it.

9/10

We watched this last weekend & I was keen to catch up with it, after Mark Kermode said it was far better than the latest Doctor Strange multiverse film which was out in cinemas at the same time.

I agree with you and would give it an 8/10. Mrs Woflie I'm sure would be nearer a 4/10 - but then her favourite films are the Bad Boys franchise, so she clearly knows nowt.

On 06/09/2022 at 15:42, Bob The Badger said:

I won't watch Michael Flatley's vanity film, but if the hysterically bad trailer is anything to go by, the IMDb reviews should be well worth checking out.

It's currently a 3.3/10 on IMDB and the high scores are sarcastic ones.

I want to see it, just for the laugh but I aint paying for the privilege cos that'll just encourage him.

On 29/08/2022 at 12:03, JoetheRam said:

Bullet Train

Absolute Mascarell.

Sounds awesome.

*Added to watchlist