Are Derby players deferring wages?

Poynton ram

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

This seems to be the latest position: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52181757

I don’t think I have anything to add buddy, without going round in circles, other than to say I personally wouldn’t be unhappy if this pandemic breaks football as it is currently set-up. It needs a complete re-set, like many other parts of the market economy, as it has in my view become obscene the amount of money that is being earned for kicking a bag of wind around.  

I agree. 

But what it will take is for us all to look at what we contribute. 

Will this crisis cause us all to consider what's really important? Will be a more considerate bunch. 

We are a dog eat dog society. A race to the top. Now it's the people we have looked past that we need we start looking at the fat rats like it's them that's not done enough. What have we done? Bought Sky Sports, bet billions up the wall, got big mortgages and expensive cars? Made our monthly outgoings a fraction under our earnings? 

Not that I'm having a go for living like that. I just think a lot of the outrage of what a footballer earns could be aimed a little closer to home. All of us. 

Couple of weeks ago we couldn't even share toilet rolls!!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, goldstar said:

I don't have an answer, but wish i did. If voicing my opinion that the world isn't fair and there are some greedy bamfords about in all walks of life is wrong, then i don't want to be right! 

But you are right. 

As we saw with the panic buying. Many many people are out for themselves and when the world asks for something they start looking at who has more to give than they do. 

8 minutes ago, Topram said:

Poor from us again, We’ve been tarnished as a club over the last few years from deals and stuff we’ve done. 

I'm not surprised but i am disappointed. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth for sure. 

29 minutes ago, goldstar said:

I'm not surprised but i am disappointed. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth for sure. 

Definitely not surprised be better if they topped the extra 20% up so they got full pay like Liverpool have done! We will be asking the players for full pay cut next 

Football sinks to a never ending low.

You do hope that we are doing this purely for FFP reasons and the staff are paid in other ways?

I was annoyed when reading Wayne Rooneys article over the weekend as it was, for us to then furlough non playing staff within 48hours of that article is just unbelievable.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Football sinks to a never ending low.

You do hope that we are doing this purely for FFP reasons and the staff are paid in other ways?

I was annoyed when reading Wayne Rooneys article over the weekend as it was, for us to then furlough non playing staff within 48hours of that article is just unbelievable.

I cannot believe Morris has not made up the 20% for the staff. Says a lot about him - just another rich man who doesn’t seem to give a poo about the little people. 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

I agree. 

But what it will take is for us all to look at what we contribute. 

Will this crisis cause us all to consider what's really important? Will be a more considerate bunch. 

We are a dog eat dog society. A race to the top. Now it's the people we have looked past that we need we start looking at the fat rats like it's them that's not done enough. What have we done? Bought Sky Sports, bet billions up the wall, got big mortgages and expensive cars? Made our monthly outgoings a fraction under our earnings? 

Not that I'm having a go for living like that. I just think a lot of the outrage of what a footballer earns could be aimed a little closer to home. All of us. 

Couple of weeks ago we couldn't even share toilet rolls!!

I blame Maggie for all that mi owd

Most Football League clubs will be doing the same over the coming week or so. As John Percy said, we’re not the first nor will we be the last.

Cardiff, Swansea (both of which have enjoyed recent spells in the Premier League) and Millwall and Luton have already furloughed most of their none playing staff.

No revenue from ticket sales, merchandise, hospitality, matchday sponsorships on top of the losses clubs already make. 

Football League clubs are not in the same world as the likes of Liverpool who are recording £42m pre tax profits. 

For anyone that hasn’t read the article, only the headline, it goes on to say 

On Wednesday, however, Derby are expected to announce a major initiative to support the local community and the staff, backed by manager Phillip Cocu and first-team players.

Now this “could possibly” be helping towards covering the 20%, might be worth waiting to see what this announcement is. 

10 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I cannot believe Morris has not made up the 20% for the staff. Says a lot about him - just another rich man who doesn’t seem to give a poo about the little people. 

There is a robotic surgeon sat in Derby hospital right now which cost £1.2m, which was paid for by Mel. That’s just one of a number of ways he has helped financially across the local community.

Including https://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?subid=0&regid=1160013

To say he doesn’t give a poo about the little people is just simply wrong. 

On 29/03/2020 at 12:52, Ambitious said:

Players shouldn't have to defer wages. I wouldn't like to be asked if I was in that position; if they want to put some money towards charities then they can, but it shouldn't be a guilt trip. At the end of the day, players signed a fixed term contract with a value of wages that would be paid to them in any event - even death (I'm led to believe) so I have absolutely no problem taking their full wage. It's not their fault there is a pandemic. 

No doubt, Cardiff are still paying Sala 30 grand a week then

On 02/04/2020 at 10:29, WestKentRam said:

If figures presented in court are correct, then apparently not.

When Jayden Bogle was convicted of speeding in October of last year, his solicitor argued that 'He has a disposable income of £450 a week and has a weekly wage of £9,000.' https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/Derby-county-star-convicted-speeding-3459468

So £5000 a week will leave him £3550 a week short.

Got a moby number for Jayden's accountant. Maybe he can do my next tax return.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Says a lot about him - just another rich man who doesn’t seem to give a poo about the little people.

Does feel that way doesn’t it but fortunately it’s not true in Mel’s/Derby’s case.

We don’t know him,never met him but he’s stepped in for us before for no reason other than to be nice.

He does a lot of stuff for people that you never hear about.

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Never been a big Morris fan, but I think it unfair on the back of this decision to make that statement.

I would suggest though that this decision does again amplify that he either hasn’t got any more funds that he can put into the club, or if he has he no longer wants to. Again it would be a bit unfair to blame him for that, but it is in my opinion another bad day for the club and the current state of its finances.

Archived