Are Derby players deferring wages?

Poynton ram

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, philmycocu said:

What???!!! At clubs that are taking tax payers money to furlough non-playing staff? You for real?

I don't see politicians giving up their wages, do you? They'll point fingers at the footballers though. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

They shouldn't be treated any differently to anyone else no. If that means when Newcastle and Spurs decide to put people on furlough then players should also be included, but if clubs don't do it then no they should not be criticised for not stepping forward.

The billionaire owners of those clubs should stop being tight and swallow the loss, but I don't blame the players for not wanting to lose their earnings.

You would love to think that all footballers from a certain level upwards would be in a position to defer wages and still live comfortably.

But then again, how many would have had the foresight to anticipate a pandemic that endangers the very existence of the club they work for?

While I think it is a sad state of affairs, I think it’s important to remember everyone handles the money that comes with being a footballer differently.

Much like at the other end of the spectrum of society, you will have sensible spenders and ones that are less so.

In the case of footballers, I am sure you have some who have accountants to control spending or some who are naturally very careful and will live day to day on some of what they earn and save the rest.

But there will be others who spend to the very limits of what they earn or maybe even beyond and thus count on that money coming in regularly to fund their lifestyle.

So yes while it would be heartening to see our players deferring wages and helping not only the football club but also the local community, I think it’s probably too much to expect it.

But maybe some of them will voluntarily come forward.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Andicis said:

I don't see politicians giving up their wages, do you? They'll point fingers at the footballers though. 

Certainly a lot of politicians are working very hard right whether you agree how its being handled or not so i wouldnt expect to see them take a drop.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Andicis said:

The billionaire owners of those clubs should stop being tight and swallow the loss, but I don't blame the players for not wanting to lose their earnings.

I think a lot probably are, there havent been that many come forward yet and put staff onto furlough,

Deferring wages isn't the same as taking a cut in wages so some of these offers might not be as magnanimous as they appear. 

If the clubs have still got to find the money eventually then it is just 'deferring' the problem. They're going to struggle to make up the lost income.

Although the primary reason for any person who (try's) get's into into any profession is that they enjoy/love doing it. However not far behind is a secondary reason that they would (if at all possible) like to get paid as much as possible for doing it. This is ok in normal circumstances and everyone understands and appreciates this. 

However, these are not normal circumstances, unfortunately. At times like these people for better or for worse look up to their 'role' models in life and society for personal and moral guidance rightly or wrongly. 

Any (even small) act or action of kindness, understanding and unity is multiplied exponentially effecting and touching millions. 

We will all hopefully get through this very tragic affair and life will eventually return back to what we use to call 'normal'

Whether it be individuals or businesses, they need to remember some people have long memories of who did what and when ?

As always though it up each person to look at himself and make that decision of what he should do

(sorry got a bit philosophical there). 

5 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

MPs probably get less in a year than Prem league 'Stars' get in a week . 

Not my point. My point is it's easy looking at others and expecting them to give up their money whilst doing nothing yourself. 

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Certainly a lot of politicians are working very hard right whether you agree how its being handled or not so i wouldnt expect to see them take a drop.

I have no opinion, nor is it what I'm getting at. I see a certain level of hypocrisy in putting this standard on footballers that they'd never adhere to themselves. 

13 minutes ago, timmo said:

I like Rooney but this is pathetic. They are so hard done to!!. Loads of people I know in deep poo financially. Billionaires crying doesn't sit to well with me 

I haven’t in truth given players too much thought as for a very long time I have been of the opinion most of them are over-paid *********, but I do have a beef with big football clubs like Liverpool, Newcastle, etc., who are happy to furlough non-playing staff at taxpayers cost, but are continuing to pay non-playing players obscene amounts of monies.  It’s time in my opinion for the owners of these clubs to say enough is enough. Football has been broken for somewhile and l am pleased a light is being shone on Sky, and Premier League players and club owners in particular.

34 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I haven’t in truth given players too much thought as for a very long time I have been of the opinion most of them are over-paid *********, but I do have a beef with big football clubs like Liverpool, Newcastle, etc., who are happy to furlough non-playing staff at taxpayers cost, but are continuing to pay non-playing players obscene amounts of monies.  It’s time in my opinion for the owners of these clubs to say enough is enough. Football has been broken for somewhile and l am pleased a light is being shone on Sky, and Premier League players and club owners in particular.

Everyone's favourite jug-eared overpaid presenter Lineker raised the question, instead of asking footballers specifically to take a pay cut, why don't we ask all people paid the big money. But that would be soci….oops, wrong thread, I'd better take myself off to the politics thread...

Someone said on the radio... Asking premier League footballers to take a pay cut is asking millionaires to bale out billionaires (owners).

It does grate that the staff at these premier League clubs are being paid by the tax payer.

But I do agree with Linekar that it seems a plot to turn people against footballers - perhaps as a distraction. Why are the rich in general - CEOs, stockbrokers, bankers etc. - not also being asked to take a pay cut?

Archived