Are Derby players deferring wages?

Poynton ram

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Liverpool can afford for pay their non playing staff regardless of whether players take a pay cut or not.

Why target footballers are they the richest people in the country.

Why not start with Richard Branson?

This is the thing, expect it from them all. Of course Buchanan should not be viewed with the Milner's of the football world but stop giving them a pass and pointing the finger at others. Ask Branson, ask Gates, ask Rooney, ask Federer. 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, goldstar said:

I can't believe you're even asking if Rooney should be expected to change his lifestyle temporarily to help others. He earns 100,000 grand a week! 

No, they're not worth the money. Even with my season ticket and supporting the club, i will never think they are worth that. Money has ruined football. And greed. 

How much revenue has that £100k per week helped generate?

2 minutes ago, goldstar said:

This is the thing, expect it from them all. Of course Buchanan should not be viewed with the Milner's of the football world but stop giving them a pass and pointing the finger at others. Ask Branson, ask Gates, ask Rooney, ask Federer. 

Sure I read that both Federer and Nadal both made big donations through their foundations.

How much revenue has that £100k per week helped generate?

Ah ignore my first point, it is insanity to defend the money he is making, absolute insanity. 

I'm sorry, i don't have the financial figures to hand but whichever way you twist it, players taking home £250,000 etc. a week isn't right. 

Sure I read that both Federer and Nadal both made big donations through their foundations.

Excellent well done to them, lets hope it makes its way to the front line

Just now, goldstar said:

Ah ignore my first point, it is insanity to defend the money he is making, absolute insanity. 

I'm sorry, i don't have the financial figures to hand but whichever way you twist it, players taking home £250,000 etc. a week isn't right. 

A football player is an employee of a company.

Employees are there to generate revenue for said company.

The company will then pay that employee based on their ability to generate revenue. 

Of course along the way common sense was lost as wages began to overtake revenues.

If players weren't paid these ludicrous sums then it would be the clubs making the profit and then the millionaire/billionaire owners taking these profits out as dividends.

Football generates an awful lot of money and it all has to end up somewhere.

If the amount of money in football offends you then I assume you have taken the ultimate moral stand and dont watch it in any form?

7 minutes ago, goldstar said:

By the way, I wasnt ignoring your first point.

If he does earn £100k per week (no idea where you got your figure from but let's assume its true), how much of that £100k goes to the Government via tax and national insurance contributions?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

By the way, I wasnt ignoring your first point.

If he does earn £100k per week (no idea where you got your figure from but let's assume its true), how much of that £100k goes to the Government via tax and national insurance contributions?

Not much as i assume he is employing one very shrewd accountant and doesn't pay tax like most folk. 

Regards your other point, i have a season ticket and i mentioned above, it's a weird position to be in loving the sport and the club, but seeing it be taken over by money. It is no longer a working mans game, many are priced out now due to rising ticket prices and can no longer afford to go to games, yet player wages keep rising exponentially. Sad. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Cant agree with that mate.

Sure some are but there are plenty that aren't.

Footballers, like all employees, are there to generate income for their company.

If all footballers were worth their money then their companies would not be loss making.

Not looking to single out any player but tell me Ikechi Anya is worth his money.

FWIW I dont blame the players either, it is the company that give out the contracts.

Anya hasn't worked out here, and like many footballers at many clubs certainly hasn't been worth his money (to Derby). He did however earn that money due to his success in previous employment. 

I think personally that the problem isn't a footballer's problem, but society's. I'm certainly not a communist thinking that everyone should earn the same, certain jobs should receive better rewards. Unfortunately there are many jobs where the employee receives disproportionate amounts compared with other jobs which are more beneficial to society. At the end of the day though virtually everyone will accept more money when offered to them, it's how society is. Footballers are being singled out, which is what Rooney and Lineker have said. Neither have said that they shouldn't or wouldn't help out, just that there are many more out there earning big money who aren't being singled out.

Someone posted on the other thread on this subject in the football forum a link of an interview with an unnamed player. He has been giving up his wages for three years now, but he is doing it anonymously. Maybe there are many more like him that also don't wish to be named?

Personally I think that if a club is going to furlough it's staff, then morally it should be all unnecessary staff. A footballer who is unable to play because of the current circumstances wouldn't appear to be necessary. They are however expected to maintain their fitness, so could argue that they are doing reduced labour.

It's a very difficult situation for both clubs and players. Whatever each of these decides to do, someone will disagree.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Any evidence to back this up?

My guess is that he pays more tax in one year than most of us will in a lifetime.

Any evidence to back your guess up? I said assume as i obviously don't know but if you think he isn't employing some very wise accountants you're a very naive boy. 

10 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Any evidence to back your guess up? I said assume as i obviously don't know but if you think he isn't employing some very wise accountants you're a very naive boy. 

Not physical evidence no.

But I am aware of the tax rates in the UK.

I'd hope someone earning that amount of money is employing some very wise accountants.

Doubt that he is not paying any tax though as you stated.

Not physical evidence no.

But I am aware of the tax rates in the UK.

I'd hope someone earning that amount of money is employing some very wise accountants.

Doubt that he is not paying any tax though as you stated.

Didnt say no tax at all, very different thing. 

if the lockdown goes on for another two months, plus another mini pre-season, that could be three months wages with no income. And that is surely the best case scenario ? This is unsustainable.

Many clubs must be on brink of going into administration unless there is a mechanism to bail them out. There will surely be no option but to cancel contracts. 

Soon - taking a pay cut - may not be an option for some of those players with high wages and low values. 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Not much as i assume he is employing one very shrewd accountant and doesn't pay tax like most folk. "

It is a turn of phrase whereby he doesn't pay it in the same manner as most

1 hour ago, goldstar said:

You have just proved my point, look at your aggression and determination to defend them, it's pathetic. They will be out there, the very fact Liverpool have furloughed non playing staff tells me some of the players are happy to collect their fat pay checks and see others suffer. While I'm sure some have helped out, im 100% certain others don't give a flying duck. 

You are clearly happy to see some people down in the gutter and others with more money than they know what to do with. If you think going one month without £20,000 is immoral then i have no words. 

You're fighting the wrong cause. I'm angry about cancer patients being refused treatment. I'm worried about children trapped in homes with abusive parents. Yet here you are worried about how millionaires are being picked on. 

The bold bits:
I'm far from aggressive.  I'm not happy to see people in the gutter.  I'm certainly not worried about them.  I was under the impression that this was open for discussion, and for folk to air their opinions, what with this being a discussion forum.  I assure you I am not losing any sleep on this specific matter.

I put all the above misunderstanding down to my poor writing skills, so apologies for not conveying my opinions and thoughts very well.

The underlined bit:
Where did I say I thought it was immoral for players to go a month without pay?  I clearly didn't write that!
I put that particular misunderstanding down to your poor reading skills!

The italics:
I'm with you all the way on that score... but footballers are not to blame.

PS:
I'm not fighting any cause, right or wrong.  Merely having a chat.  I've never fought for a cause in my life.  It's not in my nature.  I've never felt strongly enough about anything to do so.  57 years of just plodding on... and counting!

UTR.  ?

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The bold bits:
I'm far from aggressive.  I'm not happy to see people in the gutter.  I'm certainly not worried about them.  I was under the impression that this was open for discussion, and for folk to air their opinions, what with this being a discussion forum.  I assure you I am not losing any sleep on this specific matter.

I put all the above misunderstanding down to my poor writing skills, so apologies for not conveying my opinions and thoughts very well.

The underlined bit:
Where did I say I thought it was immoral for players to go a month without pay?  I clearly didn't write that!
I put that particular misunderstanding down to your poor reading skills!

The italics:
I'm with you all the way on that score... but footballers are not to blame.

PS:
I'm not fighting any cause, right or wrong.  Merely having a chat.  I've never fought for a cause in my life.  It's not in my nature.  I've never felt strongly enough about anything to do so.  57 years of just plodding on... and counting!

UTR.  ?

And long may it continue!

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Not much as i assume he is employing one very shrewd accountant and doesn't pay tax like most folk. "

I wouldn’t worry, seems like you have to Harvard reference your posts defending him while @goldstar can assert he earns £100k per week and pays no tax on it in a matter of fact way without worrying if it’s true or not.

Archived