Flip Reverse: Wembley 2014

cannable

I’m not sure if any of your listen to The Totally Football Show but they have a little segment called ‘Flip Reverse’ in which they take a sliding doors moment in football and imagine an alternate timeline. 

Thought we could do it to kill some time. 

Mine would be have to be that fateful day back on the 24th of May 2014. Now had we gone on to win that day we were very well set to push on. 

Mel would have come in and pushed his vision to the fore. The spending spree goes ahead but without any of the emotional baggage of McClaren’s reign. Thorne costs a lot more but we still get him (he doesn’t get injured because causality), we sign Ince on a tribunal for half the price. We bring in Tomas Necid and Luc Castagnois in to bolster our attack and finally find the holy grail - cover for Martin. We’d probably sign a centre-half to replace Bucko. We probably keep Wisdom on loan for another year rather than signing Christie. 

Back then a lot of teams that played good football tended to make the transition to Premier League football far more easily than any other sort of side. Survival wouldn’t have been an issue. 

Our midfield’s average age at Wembley was just over 20. Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick go on to boss the Premier League over the next few years. The latter two have had steady PL careers without having anything close to the licence McClaren gave them. 

Ultimately, I think we qualify for Europe within three years. Cup or League. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not sure if any of your listen to The Totally Football Show but they have a little segment called ‘Flip Reverse’ in which they take a sliding doors moment in football and imagine an alternate timeline. 

Mine would be have to be that fateful day back on the 24th of May 2014. Now had we gone on to win that day we were very well set to push on. 

Mel would have come in and pushed his vision to the fore. The spending spree goes ahead but without any of the emotional baggage of McClaren’s reign. Thorne costs a lot more but we still get him (he doesn’t get injured because causality), we sign Ince on a tribunal for half the price. We bring in Tomas Necid and Luc Castagnois in to bolster our attack and finally find the holy grail - cover for Martin. We’d probably sign a centre-half to replace Bucko. We probably keep Wisdom on loan for another year rather than signing Christie. 

Back then a lot of teams that played good football tended to make the transition to Premier League football far more easily than any other sort of side. Survival wouldn’t have been an issue. 

Our midfield’s average age at Wembley was just over 20. Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick go on to boss the Premier League over the next few years. The latter two have had steady PL careers without having anything close to the licence McClaren gave them. 

And? 

3 hours ago, cannable said:

The rest is reasonable, then you go and make a ludicrous statement like this. If we'd been promoted Bucko breaks into the England squad and turns up at St George's with his Tesco carrier bag.

I thought Mel Morris didn’t get full control until the following summer? but he may still have spunked some money about regardless.
The 15/16 clement/waffle season was really disappointing. That’s the season when MM splashed the cash. Everyday in June we seemed to sign someone pretty big for championship. £3m to bring back Jason Shackell ?I remember even at Christmas all the pundits said whoever finishes above Derby will be promoted and yes Frank’s Wembley starting 11. Very painful ifs and buts......

On 27/03/2020 at 18:15, cannable said:

I don't think we would've spent that much to be honest.  Perhaps replaced or provided cover for Grant, Sir Jake of Buxton, Russell, Ward & Martin.  Obviously signed Thorne on a perm.  That team would've comfortably stayed up.

1976 - two things I wish could be reversed.

Charlie George not getting injured against Stoke City, and the "offside" goal which David Nish scored in the semi-final versus Man.Utd.

Those two decisions cost The Rams a League and Cup double.

If you watch the play-off vs Leicester again, you can clearly see a foul on Taylor as he came out to collect/punch the ball.

Even the commentators agreed that it was a foul.

If VAR had been available, the goal would not only have been disallowed, the Leicester centre-half would have been sent off, as it was also , very clearly, an elbow to Taylor's face.

On 27/03/2020 at 18:15, cannable said:

Is that the same Luc Castaignos whose career seemed to spiral downwards and is now playing in the Korean second tier?

And Tomas Necid that has had numerous loans and free transfers since?

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Is that the same Luc Castaignos whose career seemed to spiral downwards and is now playing in the Korean second tier?

Necid whilst now 30 could probably due a championship level job still. Wouldn't be my choice though.

For me one of the biggest alternative timelines was Taylor being keen to return to Derby and Clough stalling...think it was around 76 or 77. Clough saying yes to that would have bought us more silverware than we could have possibly held in our trophy cabinet.

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

For me one of the biggest alternative timelines was Taylor being keen to return to Derby and Clough stalling...think it was around 76 or 77. Clough saying yes to that would have bought us more silverware than we could have possibly held in our trophy cabinet.

I remember that evening being glued to the radio. Me being stressed one way, my Forest supporting Dad the other.

I don't think we ever learned the full explanation as to why they didn't return. However, I thought it was the other way round... That Clough wanted to return but Taylor didn't. I thought that contributed to the big fall out when Taylor came out of retirement to return.

My regret is Chris martin's second yellow in the away match at Burnley courtesy of My Madley. It was a penalty which we would have scored, or the ref could have let the goal we did score at the time stand. We would have won, gone ahead of Burnley and almost certainly have got automatic promotion. And with that team, and the way we were playing, we would have done fine in the prem. 

6 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I'm more concerned that having turned back time, cut out key(oh) mistakes and been promoted playing wonderful attacking team football set to propel us to greater things, he still has us down to sign a proven PL failure who's increased influence even at Championship leads to the gradual abolition of the very idea of team-based success.

Archived