Coronavirus

1of4

16 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

You are totally right, we can currently hear a sound in the distance that we think is probably hooves and it won’t be long until it’s clear that the cavalry are on their way.

Until that point though we still need to be cautious, there is still a big danger we undo everything we have done over the past couple of months. 

How could we undo the vaccinations?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard a news report that the Kent variant of the coronavirus has a higher communicable rate than other strains and could become the most prevalent strain of the virus around the world. 

If this is the case, then all our government's instructions regarding travel and quarantining may become irrelevant. We could be banned by every nation in the world from entering their country and their citizens being told not to travel to the UK.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

I think we'll hear on the 22nd (Boris's Route to Unlock announcement) that we're waiting for two weeks after the kids go back to school to see if lockdown can be released. They'll want to see how many cases we get in that time to determine whether or not it's too risky to let the rest of us out, so they'll be downplaying the current case numbers to avoid people getting their hopes up.

It could be that having kids back increases the R number to above 1 so the rest of us will have to carry on what we're doing until all the over 50s are vaccinated (which would be early May).

Typically inconsistent messages from the government.

Schools going back on March 8th has been optimistically mentioned for 2 or 3 weeks now. However, they seem to be highly pessimistic still on UK holidays in the Summer, when most adults will have already been vaccinated.  Not entirely sure how these 2 positions tally with each other.

And this comes on the back of a catalogue of stupidly optimistic comments from Johnson over the last 12 months. 

Surely the message should be that if things progress as planned, UK holidays should be fine by the Summer. But if you book now, make sure you have the ability to cancel for free if the situation changes.

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I am so sick and tired of this flaming goverment telling people not to book holidays when person in charge of travel book a holiday in Cornwall if freaking goverment or popurtaions can book holidays during the summer how dare they say to normal people your not allowed to regardless if vaccine or not.

Saying start losing resitions once people have the jab this has made me angry if they can go on holiday why cant pubs open cinerma open football stadiums and other things.

Are they saying DON’T book any UK holidays or just warning against booking anything too lavish? I don’t think anyone has said you’re not allowed to book anything regardless of whether you’ve been vaccinated or not.

In my mind, it’s quite simple. Anyone, you, me, MP’s etc can book any holidays we want to but we all do so knowing there is a risk you may not be able to go when the time comes. 

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are they saying DON’T book any UK holidays or just warning against booking anything too lavish? I don’t think anyone has said you’re not allowed to book anything regardless of whether you’ve been vaccinated or not.

In my mind, it’s quite simple. Anyone, you, me, MP’s etc can book any holidays we want to but we all do so knowing there is a risk you may not be able to go when the time comes. 

I booked mine.

2 years ago.

To be fair, its particularly galling to hear this when the rich and famous, including celebrities such as Piers Morgan use their platforms to call out covidiots all the time f***** off abroad at Christmas, whilst were all told if you mix, Granny will die etc.

I've been quite relaxed about lockdowns, I don't tend to go far anyway lol but it does start to feel like if you're 'Joe Public' the noose is tightening on your freedom. 

16 minutes ago, maxjam said:

To be fair, its particularly galling to hear this when the rich and famous, including celebrities such as Piers Morgan use their platforms to call out covidiots all the time f***** off abroad at Christmas, whilst were all told if you mix, Granny will die etc.

I've been quite relaxed about lockdowns, I don't tend to go far anyway lol but it does start to feel like if you're 'Joe Public' the noose is tightening on your freedom. 

Makes you laugh doesnt it?

Watching Piers Morgan lambasting the Government for not closing the borders, yet he thought it was that important an issue that he went abroad himself.

Absolutely vile human being, intent on whipping people up into a frenzy whilst at the same time looking down his nose and sneering at them.

45 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Typically inconsistent messages from the government.

Schools going back on March 8th has been optimistically mentioned for 2 or 3 weeks now. However, they seem to be highly pessimistic still on UK holidays in the Summer, when most adults will have already been vaccinated.  Not entirely sure how these 2 positions tally with each other.

And this comes on the back of a catalogue of stupidly optimistic comments from Johnson over the last 12 months. 

Surely the message should be that if things progress as planned, UK holidays should be fine by the Summer. But if you book now, make sure you have the ability to cancel for free if the situation changes.

Are the 2 issues you mention mutually exclusive?

What would be your preferred message?

If we are opening schools up we should open everything up?

Or schools are closed indefinitely?

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Heard a news report that the Kent variant of the coronavirus has a higher communicable rate than other strains and could become the most prevalent strain of the virus around the world. 

If this is the case, then all our government's instructions regarding travel and quarantining may become irrelevant. We could be banned by every nation in the world from entering their country and their citizens being told not to travel to the UK.

Why - the vaccine is effective against the Kent Variant.

Surely if the Kent variant becomes the prevalent strain around the world, this is good and makes it safer to travel knowing the vaccines are effective.

14 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yep , sick to death of it and all the finger pointers even before vaccines , now with vaccines at what point do we re evaluate just who’s really the selfish ones ,

im 60 years old , I do no want , expect , demand anybody to destroy they’re owns lives and the lives of they’re family s to protect me from the risk of catching COVID but then that may be because myself and my family are going out to work as told to and expected to whilst a big portion of these finger wagging accusation throwing people are sitting nicely at home able to work from home or retired with nice pensions , homes paid for and very comfortable thank you very much ,,,, ordering they’re comforts ( not needs ) to be delivered whilst pointing fingers at those still filling the roads , public transport and such like to get to and from they’re jobs of servicing the wants and comfort s of the blindly selfish finger wagging accusation throwing preachers ,,, god forbid those still out there would fancy a walk and a chat with a friend or family member rather than a multitude of stranger contact , 

selfish ????  Grrrrrrrrrrr , there’s non more selfish than the blind self obsessed 

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep , sick to death of it and all the finger pointers even before vaccines , now with vaccines at what point do we re evaluate just who’s really the selfish ones ,

im 60 years old , I do no want , expect , demand anybody to destroy they’re owns lives and the lives of they’re family s to protect me from the risk of catching COVID but then that may be because myself and my family are going out to work as told to and expected to whilst a big portion of these finger wagging accusation throwing people are sitting nicely at home able to work from home or retired with nice pensions , homes paid for and very comfortable thank you very much ,,,, ordering they’re comforts ( not needs ) to be delivered whilst pointing fingers at those still filling the roads , public transport and such like to get to and from they’re jobs of servicing the wants and comfort s of the blindly selfish finger wagging accusation throwing preachers ,,, god forbid those still out there would fancy a walk and a chat with a friend or family member rather than a multitude of stranger contact , 

selfish ????  Grrrrrrrrrrr , there’s non more selfish than the blind self obsessed 

Think the Government should send someone on Good Morning Britain and just get him to keep on saying 'are you going to apologise to the nation' and 'are you going to offer your resignation' to Piers Morgan. 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think the Government should send someone on Good Morning Britain and just get him to keep on saying 'are you going to apologise to the nation' and 'are you going to offer your resignation' to Piers Morgan. 

Yep?,, far from just him though , there’s plenty of them on here and all around us ,

what right do i or anybody else have to tell a delivery driver or warehouse worker , factory worker who is providing me with the things I want , to make my life nicer ,not what I need to exist that he/ she is fine to take that risk for me but don’t you dare consider you might want to have a pint with your mate or a game of golf or a session in a gym or a nice meal out with your wife ,,,,, no no no you selfish granny killing sod ????????,

no no no , the finger pointing accusers are so self aware and unselfish they only ORDER what they need to exist as they would never dream of putting anybody at un necessary risk ????,

not sure whether this selfishness is a result of being scared witless by government, scientist s , modellers and media or if it’s just an ingrained thing anyway , no matter, the result is the same??‍♂️

54 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Surely if the Kent variant becomes the prevalent strain around the world, this is good and makes it safer to travel knowing the vaccines are effective.

Probably the only thing we are exporting currently.

6 hours ago, Albert said:

You see, it's this kind of ridiculous post that's led to a lot of people ignoring recommendations that could have helped so many people throughout this pandemic. 

Their point is that masks work well, but they need to be worn properly. One way of assuring that this is the case is to wear a cloth mask over a surgical mask. 

I was just poking some fun Albert.

6 hours ago, Albert said:

You see, it's this kind of ridiculous post that's led to a lot of people ignoring recommendations that could have helped so many people throughout this pandemic. 

Their point is that masks work well, but they need to be worn properly. One way of assuring that this is the case is to wear a cloth mask over a surgical mask. 

Did people not take mask wearing seriously because of a post like this?

Or was it because of advice from the World Health Organisation and our medical professionals?

Archived