Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Does anybody think that the public will be allowed back into football matches in the next planned season ? If so by what percentage? 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

commonsense would indicate that if it is all right to congregate in a church, pub, restaurant then apart from the number why shouldn't football, cinema, theatres, music concerts be the same.  Regrettably there has been little commonsense on show throughout this.  The bigger question is how confident people are to attend matches even if they are vaxed.  I recall a number saying they would be concerned a couple of months ago

I would go to a football match today if it was allowed.

I'd feel safer there in the fresh air than I do every day in a factory.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you misunderstand my role as a mod. I'm here to ensure the rules are followed.

We had a private conversation previously about the moderation of some posts that had been removed that hadn't overstepped the mark so much as being worded to provoke a reaction or response. 

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you misunderstand my role as a mod. I'm here to ensure the rules are followed.

I'm not trying to cause an argument but I'd say the only person who's used data to challenge Albert has been Carl Sagan, and he's very infrequent in his posting in here. Most people who disagree with what Albert has posted have used articles to challenge them, not official statistics. In other words, mostly opinion pieces.

As @G STAR RAM says, this is blatantly false. 

In my last conversation alone with @Albert I provided several links to articles that contained data and statistics from official sources.  I always try to back up my arguments where possible with data and statistics, sometimes however data and statistics dont tell the whole story and links to well written articles are far better and quicker at getting your point across and should not be discounted so readily.

53 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We had a private conversation previously about the moderation of some posts that had been removed that hadn't overstepped the mark so much as being worded to provoke a reaction or response. 

I went back and looked at that conversation, just in case I'd misremembered. I think we discussed aggressive posts, and we discussed posts that get personal. If you think either of those apply please mention it to another mod, I'm sure that someone will take another look.

Grant Shapps today. If I can't go to a cottage in Norfolk with my just my household in July, things will have gone drastically wrong. I'm still hopeful of a weekend away with my parents in early May, postponed from last year. Likewise holiday to Turkey at end of August.

"First of all, I should say, people shouldn’t be booking holidays right now, not domestically or internationally ...

On the shrinking chance that there is anybody listening to this interview at this stage, and thinking of booking a holiday under the current circumstances ... and until we know the route out of lockdown, which we can’t know until we have more data, more information on vaccines as well, please don’t go ahead and book holidays for something which, at this stage, is illegal to actually go and do - whether it’s here or abroad.

And, further down the line, I simply don’t know the answer to the question of where we’ll be up to this summer; it’s too early to be able to give you that information. You would want to wait until that’s clear before booking anything. So the best advice to people is do nothing at this stage."

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I went back and looked at that conversation, just in case I'd misremembered. I think we discussed aggressive posts, and we discussed posts that get personal. If you think either of those apply please mention it to another mod, I'm sure that someone will take another look.

Just been back and checked it myself and am referring to the paragraph about passive-aggressive posts that are polite but can be read nastily.

Whilst I don't think there was anything nasty in your post I did think it was a passive-aggressive post that was not only inaccurate but would only really serve in potentially winding some people up.  It also ignores the fact that there is no way of ending some discussions without being on the end of a snide remark despite other posters raising frustration at the direction and length of said discussion - sometimes you have to ignore or 'smiley face' a post to bring the back and forth to a close.

14 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Just been back and checked it myself and am referring to the paragraph about passive-aggressive posts that are polite but can be read nastily.

Whilst I don't think there was anything nasty in your post I did think it was a passive-aggressive post that was not only inaccurate but would only really serve in potentially winding some people up.  It also ignores the fact that there is no way of ending some discussions without being on the end of a snide remark despite other posters raising frustration at the direction and length of said discussion - sometimes you have to ignore or 'smiley face' a post to bring the back and forth to a close.

Not sure why you are bothering trying to justify what you say, everyone knows it was a deliberately provocative post.

As long as the people that he is insinuating are too thick to understand Alberts posts are given the chance to reply don't think there is a problem with it though.

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I suppose it's a matter of perception. If you feel it's out of line ask another mod to have a look.

56 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Grant Shapps today. If I can't go to a cottage in Norfolk with my just my household in July, things will have gone drastically wrong. I'm still hopeful of a weekend away with my parents in early May, postponed from last year. Likewise holiday to Turkey at end of August.

"First of all, I should say, people shouldn’t be booking holidays right now, not domestically or internationally ...

On the shrinking chance that there is anybody listening to this interview at this stage, and thinking of booking a holiday under the current circumstances ... and until we know the route out of lockdown, which we can’t know until we have more data, more information on vaccines as well, please don’t go ahead and book holidays for something which, at this stage, is illegal to actually go and do - whether it’s here or abroad.

And, further down the line, I simply don’t know the answer to the question of where we’ll be up to this summer; it’s too early to be able to give you that information. You would want to wait until that’s clear before booking anything. So the best advice to people is do nothing at this stage."

Will wait to see the roadmap that BJ delivers on 22nd February before getting too disheartened by this.

Its just absolutely bizarre that as a country we have carried on allowing internal and foreign travel right up to the point that we have the vaccine and then decide to ban it for the foreseeable future.

Devastating for the aviation sector. Wonder what this could do to Rolls Royce and its supply chain. 

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

There's some sensitive folk in the world nowadays, or maybe I'm just getting old ?

Passive aggressive ?

There's definitely been some attempts aimed at individuals which have not been pleasant to read. I try to remove them when I find them but, as always, if you're not happy with a post please report it. Better that than complain in responses to it.

16 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

There's some sensitive folk in the world nowadays, or maybe I'm just getting old ?

Passive aggressive ?

Its not passive aggressive posts that I have a problem with, I think we're all big enough on this forum to fend for ourselves. 

It often feels as though certain posters are held to different standards than others however - although I guess thats a matter of opinion. Waste of time reporting even if it is better than complaining in responses to it. 

Anyway... Until the next time ?

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

There's definitely been some attempts aimed at individuals which have not been pleasant to read. I try to remove them when I find them but, as always, if you're not happy with a post please report it. Better that than complain in responses to it.

I have no problem with any posts within this or any other thread. It makes me smile though when I see someone moaning about a post being passive aggressive, because the responses that often get thrown out the way of Albert.

He gets a lot of stick on here, lots of laughing emojis aimed at him, comments about his posting style etc...and yet he gets one post backing him and it's passive aggressive, I mean come on, arent the majority of posts on here to a certain point.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Its not passive aggressive posts that I have a problem with, I think we're all big enough on this forum to fend for ourselves. 

It often feels as though certain posters are held to different standards than others however - although I guess thats a matter of opinion. Waste of time reporting even if it is better than complaining in responses to it. 

Anyway... Until the next time ?

? as I said maybe m getting old, I even had to google the meaning for passive aggressive ?

Albert is Albert, he gets as much as he gives IMO.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Will wait to see the roadmap that BJ delivers on 22nd February before getting too disheartened by this.

Its just absolutely bizarre that as a country we have carried on allowing internal and foreign travel right up to the point that we have the vaccine and then decide to ban it for the foreseeable future.

Devastating for the aviation sector. Wonder what this could do to Rolls Royce and its supply chain. 

Agree with all that but it would seem the new variants have got the powers that be spooked - when there are uncertainties around vaccine effectiveness against them. The last thing we want is a variant which renders vaccines useless and we're back to square 1.

Also maybe why we could stay in lockdown or restricted in other ways, longer than many might want to accept. The higher the number of cases, the more chance of another mutation and variant which may evade the vaccines we have available.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Agree with all that but it would seem the new variants have got the powers that be spooked - when there are uncertainties around vaccine effectiveness against them. The last thing we want is a variant which renders vaccines useless and we're back to square 1.

Also maybe why we could stay in lockdown or restricted in other ways, longer than many might want to accept. The higher the number of cases, the more chance of another mutation and variant which may evade the vaccines we have available.

Doesnt this basically mean that all incoming and outgoing foreign travel is banned indefinitely until Covid is completely eradicated?

Has there been no contingency planning for the vaccines not being effective?

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

? as I said maybe m getting old, I even had to google the meaning for passive aggressive ?

The solution for me is, if you see a post that you think would be removed if someone else posted it, report it. 

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Ive not seen Albert post anything derogatory or deliberately provocative, so not sure any of this is aimed at him. 

Personally, its his arrogance and instant dismissal of any opinion that differs from his, under the banner of 'I have already discussed this' that gets under my skin.

That being said I find plenty of what he says, and information that he brings to the thread, very informative and interesting.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm a believer that the science should dictate the restrictions going forward and that we will have to have some of these in place for the rest of the year. Some people can't seem to grasp between understanding why and wanting them but that's a different story....

The issue we are going to have it that, thankfully, the deaths are dropping, the number of cases will drop. We will start to return to normal but then as the new variant spreads at a higher rate and the vaccine doesn't stop this we will see an increase in the number of cases again but more importantly deaths will increase once again within end of life patients.

This is why we will still need social distancing but not necessarily lock downs, the vaccine is working but it won't stop the transmission, we will still need to help that in the short term.

Archived