Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

BREAKING:

"UK and Irish residents returning from coronavirus hotspots face fines of up to £10,000 and 10-year jail sentences if they break new travel rules, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

People who have to quarantine in hotels will have to pay £1,750, he said.

This covers the cost of accommodation, transport and testing.

Mr Hancock said the policy applied to England but the devolved administrations were looking at similar measures.

Arrivals who fail to declare they have been in any of the 33 so-called red list countries face prison sentences of up to 10 years.

Those who do not quarantine in hotels when required to face fines of £5,000, rising to £10,000.

Passengers face fines of up to £10,000 for failing to quarantine and those who lie on their passenger locator forms face up to 10 years in jail."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55995645

I bet you there will be so many people breaking these rules - I wonder what the exemptions will be.

Liz Truss (Who I think is doing a great job) is in India for instance this week - will she be required to go into a hotel for 10 days on her return?

This is the nail - I genuinely think airlines will run freight only services going forward and to make that pay for itself - charges will be increased. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I bet you there will be so many people breaking these rules - I wonder what the exemptions will be.

Liz Truss (Who I think is doing a great job) is in India for instance this week - will she be required to go into a hotel for 10 days on her return?

This is the nail - I genuinely think airlines will run freight only services going forward and to make that pay for itself - charges will be increased. 

I think she will and she should.  Doesn't matter why you are there as the virus does not make allowances.  A bit like relaxing rules for Christmas because the virus needed a holiday too.  The genie is out the bottle however doing this may slow it down a bit

4 minutes ago, sage said:

If you get 10 years for breaking travel quarantine rules, what should the sentence be for taking almost a full year to introduce them? 

Punishment seems to be a free townhouse in SW1, a free country seat in Bucks and about 15 weeks paid holiday a year.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I use to have a brown one few years ago but my dad has a brown one through.

the brown one really helps me....i take it morning and night and hardly ever take my blue one

23 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah its literally the only thing I have looked at in the last 11 months. 

I mean of course bed occupancy is an awful measure of what pressure the NHS is under, Im surprised they even bother measuring it anymore. 

And you do realise that just because you have discussed something already, and given your OPINION on it, it doesnt mean that everyone has to automatically agree with your OPINION?

I like how you key strategy is just to try and find a way to label something as opinion, then disregard it on that basis. 

No, it's not 'opinion' that bed occupancy is a weak measure. The reasons have been given to you previously, and you've made no attempt to deal with those points. You can't just say 'OPINION' and pretend there's nothing to counter. 

So, to reiterate, you've had no basis to claim that the NHS was not under such pressure, and despite people dealing with this argument previously, and not just me, you've essentially ducked the point. 

20 minutes ago, Albert said:

I like how you key strategy is just to try and find a way to label something as opinion, then disregard it on that basis. 

No, it's not 'opinion' that bed occupancy is a weak measure. The reasons have been given to you previously, and you've made no attempt to deal with those points. You can't just say 'OPINION' and pretend there's nothing to counter. 

So, to reiterate, you've had no basis to claim that the NHS was not under such pressure, and despite people dealing with this argument previously, and not just me, you've essentially ducked the point. 

Go back to the simple as discussed, ,,, it’s the same thing but less long winded 

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

You would never do that obviously ?

No, it's not 'opinion' that bed occupancy is a weak measure. The reasons have been given to you previously, and you've made no attempt to deal with those points. You can't just say 'OPINION' and pretend there's nothing to counter

It clearly is. It may be an opinion held by lots of people and it may actually be true, but it is still an opinion. 

Come on, any argument given you will do exactly what you are critical of yourself...you will dismiss it based on your opinion given as fact.

Not even following the argument because its not necessary, they always follow the same path and I'm gobsmacked you both still have the energy and mental stamina to have the same arguments over and over. ??

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

Cheers, I value your opinion.

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

You would never do that obviously ?

???

It clearly is. It may be an opinion held by lots of people and it may actually be true, but it is still an opinion. 

Come on, any argument given you will do exactly what you are critical of yourself...you will dismiss it based on your opinion given as fact.

Where have I done such? This is the 'both sides' fallacy. You're arguing because they've failed to make an argument that everyone else must have as well. 

Not even following the argument because its not necessary, they always follow the same path and I'm gobsmacked you both still have the energy and mental stamina to have the same arguments over and over. ??

So, what you're saying is you've not read any of the points raised, but felt like a cheeky both sides fallacy for giggles? 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

???

Where have I done such? This is the 'both sides' fallacy. You're arguing because they've failed to make an argument that everyone else must have as well. 

So, what you're saying is you've not read any of the points raised, but felt like a cheeky both sides fallacy for giggles? 

Albert, the problem is that you write lots of words, with links that people have to read. There's also lots of numbers, and a lot of people feel uneasy about numbers. 

So they don't read them. 

So it's easy to dismiss them as opinion. 

Certainly easier than finding different numbers, or finding alternative ways to interpret them. Better to ignore them, which is why they find it funny when you say it's beed discussed already. They didn't understand you when you said it the first time. 

12 hours ago, Albert said:

Right, ok, can you inform us what measures you have to indicate that the NHS was close to collapse?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Right, ok, can you inform us what measures you have to indicate that the NHS was close to collapse?

I never claimed I had such measures. What I said is I wouldn't be challenging the official views on that, because we lack the data to do so. 

You, on the other hand, have been more than happy to challenge those views based on, as shown, absolutely nothing. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

I never claimed I had such measures. What I said is I wouldn't be challenging the official views on that, because we lack the data to do so. 

You, on the other hand, have been more than happy to challenge those views based on, as shown, absolutely nothing. 

So if you dont have the data then you shouldnt be dismissing other views.

Clearly highlights that it is just your opinion and not fact, as already noted.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So if you dont have the data then you shouldnt be dismissing other views.

Clearly highlights that it is just your opinion and not fact, as already noted.

Views which can be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. 

That said, evidence in other forms has been provided by those on the ground, etc, which are the very views you are challenging without basis, which is the entire concern. 

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Views which can be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. 

That said, evidence in other forms has been provided by those on the ground, etc, which are the very views you are challenging without basis, which is the entire concern. 

Evidence in other forms? ? This is brilliant. What other forms did they come in?

Archived