Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So the links you posted are are your thoughts ?or instruction on what all our thoughts should be on it ? event 201 I posted link was to its own official info not what anybody is telling us we should make of it , disease x appears to be being pushed now as the next thing that’s coming ??‍♂️

I'm coming towards the end of my isolation period after contracting the virus at the back end of last week. It's the strangest illness I've personally experienced. Apart from losing my sense of smell and abit of sore throat, I feel healthy. The symptoms don't seem to be going away though and this is why I question the 10 day isolation period. My partner has had it nearly 2 weeks and she's not improving as quickly as we thought. It's definitely changed my perspective of the situation. I can understand why this has killed so many people and it angers me even more to see neighbours and other locals making a mockery out of these rules. 

Sadly another scenario when you can tell the idiots in society, I told you so, when they catch the disease. 

It's reported that the number of flu case this winter is the lowest recorded in over a 120 years. Is this due to those who are normally susceptible to catching the flu, are instead catching the coronavirus. Or is it because with more people isolating to avoid catching the coronavirus, they are also not coming into contact with the flu virus as in the same numbers for a normal year?

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

I'm coming towards the end of my isolation period after contracting the virus at the back end of last week. It's the strangest illness I've personally experienced. Apart from losing my sense of smell and abit of sore throat, I feel healthy. The symptoms don't seem to be going away though and this is why I question the 10 day isolation period. My partner has had it nearly 2 weeks and she's not improving as quickly as we thought. It's definitely changed my perspective of the situation. I can understand why this has killed so many people and it angers me even more to see neighbours and other locals making a mockery out of these rules. 

Sadly another scenario when you can tell the idiots in society, I told you so, when they catch the disease. 

Hope you and family are OK. Isn't the isolation period 10 days after a positive test? Therefore, surely you've only just started your isolation period if you caught the virus at the back end of last week rather than coming to end of it.

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Hope you and family are OK. Isn't the isolation period 10 days after a positive test? Therefore, surely you've only just started your isolation period if you caught the virus at the back end of last week rather than coming to end of it.

Last week, as in this is day 9 of his isolation?

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

It's reported that the number of flu case this winter is the lowest recorded in over a 120 years. Is this due to those who are normally susceptible to catching the flu, are instead catching the coronavirus. Or is it because with more people isolating to avoid catching the coronavirus, they are also not coming into contact with the flu virus as in the same numbers for a normal year?

Probably a combination of factors. Social distancing, better hygiene, increased vaccination program, maybe even people being less 'heroic' than in years passed and actually staying home when ill.

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

deaths from dementia and Alzheimer's disease are also massively dropped to next to none

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

deaths from dementia and Alzheimer's disease are also massively dropped to next to none

I remember a tabloid columnist using lower Alzheimers deaths amongst smokers in a pro smoking argument. The reality is that Alzheimers is an old people's disease, so smoking kills people off before they get a chance to become ill from it. 

29 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Schools being shut for much of the year will have been a big factor. 

I've been under the weather since last Tuesday. 

I had a doctors appointment for Friday to look at some referrals I need after transferring back from the US.

I told her I felt rough and explained the symptoms and she said I needed a Covid test.

I didn't want to go to the drive through one in Truro because I didn't want to get that far away from the bathroom! Plus, whereas gastro issues can be a symptom they're not that common.

So Friday at about 3 pm I ordered a home testing kit.

It arrived at midday yesterday and the wife proceeded to test me. You're meant to do it yourself but seeing as she's tested hundreds of people and I'd wuss out from going deep enough I let her torture me.

She then took it to the post office about 2.00 pm.

I just got the (negative) result back.

A 48-hour turnaround for a mail in test is pretty ducking impressive.

Somebody, or some people, need congratulating on that and I don't care who that is.

Good work fellas (And lasses of course).

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

I doubt they have in reality - unlike flu you don’t need to be having much social contact to contract or die from dementia - and suffers are classed as highly vulnerable and therefore prime candidates to die from complications as a result of COVID-19 so cause of death will most likely be classified as COVID on their death certificates....

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Probably a combination of factors. Social distancing, better hygiene, increased vaccination program, maybe even people being less 'heroic' than in years passed and actually staying home when ill.

Limited travel to other countries will also be a big factor. In addition the R is much lower than COVID, therefore all the things you highlight above have a much bigger impact on the transmission.

20 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Any other variables happen between May and August you can think of ? Maybe try and compare to November to February see if you can think of anything .........I’m  scratching my head to be honest ?

No football?

8 hours ago, Archied said:

So what was your view on event 201 and disease x

They're different styles of planning scenarios, because, you know, people knew that a pandemic could royally mess up the World if we were unprepared for it. It's been something people have been doing and discussing for decades, and up until the Trump administration was something driven largely by America. Trump dismantling the Obama era pandemic planning left somewhat of a power vacuum in that sense, though those in the Trump administration suggested that they just 'streamlined' it; we should all know what it means when billionaires 'streamline' these days though. 

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I think it's very likely because it transmits in exactly the same way as Covid-19, i.e. droplets from an infected person. Consequently, the precautions we are currently taking have reduced the incidence of 'flu dramatically (as I predicted would be the case in this very thread several months ago). The reason the precautions haven't been as spectacularly successful with Covid-19 is most likely to be with respect to the viral load necessary to infect someone, coupled with the fact that a large number of people are asymptomatic. With 'flu, a snotty nose means "I'm ill, keep your distance". With Covid-19, some people are totally unaware they are contagious.

Archived