Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I know you are into Gaming too and I'm wondering if online gaming has been the saviour for many kids during this lockdown. 

Games have gone from a distrusted waste of time to being the only way for kids to play and talk with other people their own age. Mine have been mostly on FFornite

I think that later teen/early 20s age could be the worst age to be in lockdown, especially if you are furloughed or unemployed. At least school/education gives them something else they have to do.

My wife and I are big gamers, our boys have grown up with games and have been allowed to play online games from an early age (not advisable btw unless you have a good understanding of what they want to play)  

To be honest thinking back to my youth, I was always out playing football, climbing trees, exploring surrounding fields etc with my friends from the village I lived in.  I would not have coped with a lockdown at that age and if that was what my kids were used to pre-lockdown I would be very worried about their mental health by now.  Fortunately they are able to keep themselves amused and have 'virtual' friends from all around the country and indeed world. 

The 13yo hasn't really been allowed out much by himself yet so doesn't really know any different.  Our 18yo though was starting to get used to having much more independence, especially since he started 6th form in Ashby and we can tell that since Christmas being stuck indoors 24/7 is starting to wear thin - he was actually looking forwards to going back to school in January and was very disappointed to learn they were shut until February and now March. I've already warned him that it might not be until after Easter ?

So yeah I can very much believe late teen/early 20s is the worst age.  Whilst all age groups have their own issues this one is missing out on having fun and the socializing that is normally done at that age. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Re your personal opinion, you advocated all hospitality venues being closed and, to me, that is inconsistent with letting people manage their own risks.

Isn't that one of the main problems - you're not just managing your own risk as if it only affects you, you're taking on board the risk to other people?

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

wandering around Ashby or whatever it is they do ?

They probably wander around Ashby with mates whilst texting the mates who aren't wandering around Ashby with them to tell them they are wandering around Ashby. 

Joking aside, it must be really dreadful for kids. I'm pretty sure at that age I'd have been out of the window at every chance. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

They probably wander around Ashby with mates whilst texting the mates who aren't wandering around Ashby with them to tell them they are wandering around Ashby. 

Joking aside, it must be really dreadful for kids. I'm pretty sure at that age I'd have been out of the window at every chance. 

From what I can work out, I think he spends most of his time (and money) in Greggs!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Isn't that one of the main problems - you're not just managing your own risk as if it only affects you, you're taking on board the risk to other people?

Not sure I agree.

I know if I wear my mask and keep 2m away from people then I have taken the steps that I have been advised reduce the risk of catching or transmitting the virus.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm pretty ambivalent but also have faith in my employer that they also understand the risks and are trying to mitigate them as much as possible.

Going back to my original comments - shared toilets not sure how any company can reasonably mitigate that or even be expected to, hot desking again if the employer provides saniwipes then there's nothing stopping an employer then wiping a keyboard or mouse down and so on. 

I just found the comments a bit strange as anything in life can be a problem if you make it such. 

Thanks, I am really interested in how people perceive this as I was in a situation where I felt very uncomfortable in the office and eventually it led to me retiring. 

It was a combination of things - lack of social distancing, getting windows shut on you (by the boss!) and her draping herself around all the staff's desks. Lots of the younger staff were likewise, maybe didn't feel so vulnerable so weren't too bothered about the rules. Also the general lack of cleaning meaning you had to do it yourself - repeatedly! I just ended up in such a state every time I had to go in the office I couldn't be productive. Especially when I knew I could have done my job just as effectively (and probably more so) from home. 

The evidence of the risk of corona virus spreading through being in a closed environment for many hours with other people is quite compelling. 

I think the bit about having faith in your employer is key here, but I think some bosses need to trust their employees a bit more too as I think some bosses just want you where they can keep an eye on you!

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Thanks, I am really interested in how people perceive this as I was in a situation where I felt very uncomfortable in the office and eventually it led to me retiring. 

It was a combination of things - lack of social distancing, getting windows shut on you (by the boss!) and her draping herself around all the staff's desks. Lots of the younger staff were likewise, maybe didn't feel so vulnerable so weren't too bothered about the rules. Also the general lack of cleaning meaning you had to do it yourself - repeatedly! I just ended up in such a state every time I had to go in the office I couldn't be productive. Especially when I knew I could have done my job just as effectively (and probably more so) from home. 

The evidence of the risk of corona virus spreading through being in a closed environment for many hours with other people is quite compelling. 

I think the bit about having faith in your employer is key here, but I think some bosses need to trust their employees a bit more too as I think some bosses just want you where they can keep an eye on you!

Am genuinely sorry that you felt so uncomfortable that you had to retire ☹️

I guess my outlook also misguidedly or otherwise is that I'm fire proof as I've worked all the way through successive lockdowns and have come out unscathed so far touch wood. I'm also in the at risk age group but this rightly or wrongly hasn't really preyed on my mind at all and have I done anything differently accordingly because of this? Probably not to be honest. 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Until you get out of the habit of viewing every view that you disagree with as 'fringe scientist' or 'clickbait columnist' then I find it hard to even consider your views.

Just as a reminder, the experts that you are relying on said 20,000 deaths would be a good result...we are now at over 100,000. Maybe listening to the 'fringe scientists' may have had us closer to the good result, who knows.

My views are in line with the majority of scientific opinion across the world. Yours are the same as Toby Young.

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am genuinely sorry that you felt so uncomfortable that you had to retire ☹️

I guess my outlook also misguidedly or otherwise is that I'm fire proof as I've worked all the way through successive lockdowns and have come out unscathed so far touch wood. I'm also in the at risk age group but this rightly or wrongly hasn't really preyed on my mind at all and have I done anything differently accordingly because of this? Probably not to be honest. 

I think I was teetering on the edge, to be honest. 

I'm just a wuss, which is why I am interested in how other people deal with it all. 

I hope you remain safe. 

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nope not at all.

As previously stated, all it did was kicked the can down the road and ended with us ravaged by the virus at the worst possible time of year.

Did it stop the NHS from being overwhelmed? Well we are now told we have 50% more people with Covid in hospital now than we did during the first wave, so one can only assume that we were absolutely nowhere near capacity. (Thats even before thinking about the Nightingale hospitals).

As it happens, I understand why we are in lockdown now but think it is only acceptable if it is coupled with a road map out of the situation. 

Just my take of course and if any of it is factually incorrect happy to be corrected.

Not these hospital myths again. There is no one to work in these Nightingale hospitals and there are barely enough staff well enough to run existing hospitals!

Your "kick the can down the road" only slightly works in the context that we now know we screwed up during the Summer.

I don't think you were saying in the Spring "this lockdown will only delay deaths until the Winter, because our attempts to manage the virus between July and September will be hopeless. Let's take those extra 50k deaths now."

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did it stop the NHS from being overwhelmed? Well we are now told we have 50% more people with Covid in hospital now than we did during the first wave, so one can only assume that we were absolutely nowhere near capacity. (Thats even before thinking about the Nightingale hospitals).

It's worth noting that since the first wave we have overhauled our ICU. Beds have increased, ventilators made, staff moved etc...it's not as simple as looking at a % and saying, ah it can't be true then.

Even then the number of beds isn't that many, Derby and burton I believe for example have less than 50. Add into the mix that those with COVID have to be kept separate from other patients, staff off with the virus, it's very easy see why the message even with different numbers is very similar.

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think I was teetering on the edge, to be honest. 

I'm just a wuss, which is why I am interested in how other people deal with it all. 

I hope you remain safe. 

No your not .

I've reached that point 2 months ago .  I know a fair few people working from home, but everyone working in an office including myself seems to be part of an anxiety ridden poo show 24 hrs a day. Not just the working but the stress thinking about it when your not there.

I would have walked out myself within the last 2 months if I could.

Your right with the management side in my experience.  Some proper a - holes in my place who can't take on board different ways of working at all. Already had 4 cases in a team of 20 since November. I probably wouldn't be as concerned in my own office, with no compulsory mask and no one bothering me all day and no need to move my arse from the seat. It would certainly be less paranoia inducing. The laughable thing is I'd be fine at home and work a lot better without a mask glued to my face and the constant use of hand gels when I touch anything .  

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

To be honest thinking back to my youth, I was always out playing football, climbing trees, exploring surrounding fields etc with my friends from the village I lived in. 

Really?

Wow, that's sad.

I was usually wandering around Ashby.

I don't even come from Ashby by my parents would drive the 40 miles to take me there every day.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

My views are in line with the majority of scientific opinion across the world. Yours are the same as Toby Young.

My views are in line with Professor Gupta, yours are the same as Matt Hancock. 

Its a silly game trying to play that, as proved the other day when I asked you to back up your statement.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not these hospital myths again. There is no one to work in these Nightingale hospitals and there are barely enough staff well enough to run existing hospitals!

Your "kick the can down the road" only slightly works in the context that we now know we screwed up during the Summer.

I don't think you were saying in the Spring "this lockdown will only delay deaths until the Winter, because our attempts to manage the virus between July and September will be hopeless. Let's take those extra 50k deaths now."

Which is weird, because we are coping with 50% more Covid patients now than we did in the first wave, so logic tells me that we could have coped with them also in the first wave and it may have been better to treat them in the Nightingale Hospitals rather than in the mainstream hospitals where the virus was spread to patients that didn't go into hospital with Covid.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which is weird, because we are coping with 50% more Covid patients now than we did in the first wave, so logic tells me that we could have coped with them also in the first wave and it may have been better to treat them in the Nightingale Hospitals rather than in the mainstream hospitals where the virus was spread to patients that didn't go into hospital with Covid.

Nightingale is an interesting one, I don't know the answer and don't completely buy into the not enough staff, on why they aren't operating as designed. I do wonder if we jumped to quickly into these without thinking logistically if it was possible to run these.  

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

My views are in line with Professor Gupta, yours are the same as Matt Hancock. 

Its a silly game trying to play that, as proved the other day when I asked you to back up your statement.

I must have missed that sorry. Which statement did you ask me to back up.

Professor Gupta's non-peer reviewed opinions, launched and publicised effectively by a right wing US think tank funded by those cheeky Koch brothers, have got a lot to answer for.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

I must have missed that sorry. Which statement did you ask me to back up.

Professor Gupta's non-peer reviewed opinions, launch and publicised effectively by a right wing US think tank funded by those cheeky Koch brothers, have got a lot to answer for.

Or Matt Hancocks policies that have led us to 100,000 deaths...

I asked you to back up your statement about the weight of all scientific opinion agreeing with the lockdowns.

Archived