Coronavirus

1of4

17 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I understand, obviously there are more details to the proposal. Just like the idea of NHS staff getting inflected sooner rather than later, people looking after those in the hotels would have to have already had CV. It would mean them living in highly maintained buildings that are accessible, where wants and needs are limited and they have each others company. 

I've seen other proposals and it's exactly like during the Blitz when children from cities were sent to the countryside. 

Oh I missed the idea that the carers would be recovered cases. Stupid me. Begins to make much more sense. Like it! 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh I missed the idea that the carers would be recovered cases. Stupid me. Begins to make much more sense. Like it! 

But we don't know you can't get it twice yet. Supposedly a woman in Japan has done just that. 

She must have been literally clubbing black cats to death with broken mirrors to have that kind of luck. 

Looks like It's super rare.  I thought it was weird it hadn't been more widely reported. 
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

University is effectively shut, exams are cancelled and I've been given an automatic pass for the year

I'm jealous that your uni has given you that much certainty, they haven't told us anything at all, only that it's closed at the moment. Nothing about the exams or what we're doing after. Bit ridiculous.

Sith Happens

A few i know are saying they think they had it around Christmas, mostly work colleagues. In fairness lots of us at work did have an illness. I know myself I had a cough forever and hardly shifted during the christmas period. If i was like that now I would be certain I had Covid 19. I just cant believe it can have been, has to have been a different coronavirus type bug i think or there would be more about it surely.

I think its just a coincidence that they are close together, in fairness i, or someone i know always seems to get a non flu bug at some point during the winter months so expect it was something seasonal.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

I'm jealous that your uni has given you that much certainty, they haven't told us anything at all, only that it's closed at the moment. Nothing about the exams or what we're doing after. Bit ridiculous.

To be fair it’s only just now they’ve given us this information - We got nothing before, and I still had a 200 person lecture yesterday!

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm trying to figure out what this is ?

clearly some work related stuff on my clipboard that didn't delete when I pressed delete! lolz

But, to answer your question, it's a screenshot of an engineer's Bill of Material submission where he is changing anti roll bar stabilisers on prototype cars I am currently building.

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

clearly some work related stuff on my clipboard that didn't delete when I pressed delete! lolz

But, to answer your question, it's a screenshot of an engineer's Bill of Material submission where he is changing anti roll bar stabilisers on prototype cars I am currently building.

He’s not being very imaginative with his reasons @Mostyn6

just saying

Just read this about the aftermath of the Black Death

See you down Bubbles when this is all over lads

The Black Death might be the most famous plague in history.

It spread from the east, travelling the trade routes to Europe in the 14th century where it killed more than one-third of the population.

But one of its most well-known repercussions was to empower workers, as a scarcity of labour meant wages increased. The devastation contributed to the end of serfdom in countries such as England, as peasants’ bargaining power increased.

For those lucky enough to survive, it was a time of relative economic plenty. As Harvard academic Paul Schmelzing notes, in a working paper published by the Bank of England earlier this year: “The Black Death created not just the means for wider parts of the population for excessive consumption – but the traumatising experience of sudden decimation in the earthly life also triggered the impetus to enjoy it to the fullest, while still able to”.

He cites this evidence from Florentine chronicler Matteo Villani, who wrote: “Men gave themselves over to the most disordered and sordid behaviour… As they wallowed in idleness, their dissolution led them into the sin of gluttony, into banquets, taverns, delicate foods and gambling. They rushed headlong into lust.”

one thing, no doubt pretty obvious, that I haven’t yet got head around is why the chief scientific adviser is saying 20,000 or fewer deaths would be a “good” outcome for the UK when current lives lost in China is “only” 3,237 and in S. Korea is “only” 84. In both cases the trend seems to be declining.

Does it mean: 1) They’re not being entirely truthful about their numbers (seems unlikely especially in S. Korea), 2) They aren’t anywhere near out the woods yet 3) Our advisors are being extra cautious 4) we’re going to get it a lot worse than them 5) places like Italy and Spain, who are already suffering, probably have a lot worse still to come.

Am I missing something? I’m ready for a “duh” moment.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

one thing, no doubt pretty obvious, that I haven’t yet got head around is why the chief scientific adviser is saying 20,000 or fewer deaths would be a “good” outcome for the UK when current lives lost in China is “only” 3,237 and in S. Korea is “only” 84. In both cases the trend seems to be declining.

Does it mean: 1) They’re not being entirely truthful about their numbers (seems unlikely especially in S. Korea), 2) They aren’t anywhere near out the woods yet 3) Our advisors are being extra cautious 4) we’re going to get it a lot worse than them 5) places like Italy and Spain, who are already suffering, probably have a lot worse still to come.

Am I missing something? I’m ready for a “duh” moment.

The feeling is that it will flare up once those countries return to normal.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

image.png

I watched this but I don't really understand what he's trying to say. Yes, I understand that the governments are taking advice from experts, and that these experts are all clamouring to get on the gravy train. I also understand that he is saying that someone has to take a step back, look at what is really happening and tell it like it really is. What I don't understand is that he's a doctor who worked in this field but doesn't actually give his view on the disease. Does he think that it's not a serious as is thought? Or is he just suggesting that the experts themselves should take a step backwards and look again at all the data?

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can you do breathing respirators ? You could shift a few of these over the next months!

Archived