Coronavirus

1of4

22 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

An interesting article about masks

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/face-masks-could-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/

Basically saying that a mask reduces the amount of virus you are exposed to, and may be acting as a type of inoculation (ie giving you a small dose that triggers an immune response - the same as some vaccines do) - which may explain why people are asymptomatic or only suffering milder symptoms

So yeah - another reason to wear your mask and stop whining about it

Based on how often my masks have been washed, I must be immune to pretty much everything out there by now.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

When you used to be on here, you would attempt to defend the government on almost anything. How things change after 50k deaths.

Clearly much of their response to Covid has been dire and we are now in the situation where we could be on the verge of a load more deaths.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to a pub before, but I remember the last time I went out drinking was the day when Johnson first addressed the nation about Covid been serious and that he was wrong to show off about shaking hands with infected people (ok, he didn't say that).

People were not social distancing but shaking hands had stopped and everyone was been careful. Well, they were until later on in the night when everyone was drunk. I don't have evidence to show you, but I'm pretty sure it was after 10pm when I had my arms around mates and forgot there was a virus about.

Maybe that's just me been an irresponsible drunk, or maybe that's general behaviour towards the end of a night when people have been drinking?

There is so much to criticise this government about (remember the world beating app that was crucial to easing lockdown) that this 10pm curfew on pubs is really rather minor, even for your heroic, freedom loving Englishman.

How about only 15 people at a wedding, but the same restaurant can have 30 people in it if not a wedding?

Or a couple with 3 kids can't all meet their grandparents outside, but 6 people from different families can all drink/eat together without being socially distanced? And the government advises us to report the law breaking family.

I defended the Government when I thought they were being harshly criticised, I will criticise them if I think they are doing something wrong.

Think that is the fundamental difference between me and the people on here that having opposing ideas in general.

I don't actually have a problem with the 10pm curfew. I understand the reasons behind it.

What I dont like is being told it is being done because there is evidence the spread is worse after 10pm when there clearly is none.

Just call it like it is and say people are more irresponsible after 10pm and cant be trusted.

Also I thought the scientists had introduced the rule of 6 because the evidence showed the transmission was mainly in the household setting? If so, then why are we targeting the hospitality industry?

8 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I think in addition Covid-19 may not be getting weaker, but we are getting far better at treating it.

There has definitely been a fall in both admissions and fatalities following the summer lull, but without a full breakdown of the age profile of cases, admissions, recoveries and deaths, to what extent improvements in care has improved the prognosis has not been quantified.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I hope to god that this pandemic doesn't replicate that graph - but if it does, I hope those people sat here, on the cusp of the second wave saying that there is nothing to see here, and we should just get back to normality, have the good grace to admit they were wrong

If they're not 6 feet under by then, that is

It's the timeline that surprised me more than anything.
The virus popping its head up in March, deaths rapidly shooting up in October (number of cases would have been rapidly shooting up in September). I think this exact scenario will be playing on the minds of a lot of the decision makers and could be why we're easing back towards tougher measures.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I defended the Government when I thought they were being harshly criticised, I will criticise them if I think they are doing something wrong.

Think that is the fundamental difference between me and the people on here that having opposing ideas in general.

I don't actually have a problem with the 10pm curfew. I understand the reasons behind it.

What I dont like is being told it is being done because there is evidence the spread is worse after 10pm when there clearly is none.

Just call it like it is and say people are more irresponsible after 10pm and cant be trusted.

Also I thought the scientists had introduced the rule of 6 because the evidence showed the transmission was mainly in the household setting? If so, then why are we targeting the hospitality industry?

It is to stop pub crawls and people forgetting which pubs they have been in.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The evidence is provided in your next sentence.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There has definitely been a fall in both admissions and fatalities following the summer lull, but without a full breakdown of the age profile of cases, admissions, recoveries and deaths, to what extent improvements in care has improved the prognosis has not been quantified.

They are starting to do the research, I read an article that sources this : https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.11.20172775v1

Based on a small sample in one area but looks hopeful, over time our knowledge of the virus and workable treatments will increase and its fair to assume the fatality rate will drop.

As you say though, admissions are down compared to cases, this could be to do with mask wearing allowing people to get smaller loads of the virus. The viral loads and entry point seem to have some effect on severity but I'm not sure we know to what extent.

6 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

The evidence is provided in your next sentence.

That's evidence that people are more likely to be drunk after 10pm, that is not evidence of the virus spreading more after 10pm.

I'd agree its probably more likely but as I said in a subsequent post, we are told the transmission is more likely taking place in household settings, hence the rule of 6.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I'm sure we had last orders in the past and we had a police force who would try to enforce it, admittedly sometimes half-heartedly. Lock-ins were never permitted. We've always had some rules we were expected to follow.

Thought you’d vote for snitching if I’m honest 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's evidence that people are more likely to be drunk after 10pm, that is not evidence of the virus spreading more after 10pm.

I'd agree its probably more likely but as I said in a subsequent post, we are told the transmission is more likely taking place in household settings, hence the rule of 6.

There are various types of household settings that warrant far more caution - university halls of residence, for instance.

Case in point - 172 positive cases at a single hall of residence at Glasgow University.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Ah, so we should all be allowed to do what we want with no consequences ever?

Nope, but sneaking about spying through pub windows. If that is what we have become as a nation and you agree with it, my goodness me 

Archived