Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rammieib said:

No evidence that in all the countries in Europe who have opened up schools the infections have ramped up. Please can you explain what evidence you have that suggests this will happen?

My (5-year old) daughter will have missed six months of school if she doesn’t go back for those seven weeks. Her social impact is huge as she doesn’t have a sibling she can play with. So no contact with anyone her age and we can see the impact already. Plus until the birth recently of our second child, my wife and I work. We found any home schooling really difficult to do. We read in the evenings and she completes maths puzzles online but that’s it.

I feel the seven weeks in school for her will be hugely beneficial over a consecutive six months of basically watching tele and doing the odd walk around the village.

I know it's really tough. My kids are desperate to back too. It would be beneficial if they kid, but I think the risk outweighs the benefit, and people like Gove aren't going to persuade me otherwise.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

No evidence that in all the countries in Europe who have opened up schools the infections have ramped up. Please can you explain what evidence you have that suggests this will happen?

They've only just opened. Wait for them to have been open a month before drawing any conclusions.

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I know it's really tough. My kids are desperate to back too. It would be beneficial if they kid, but I think the risk outweighs the benefit, and people like Gove aren't going to persuade me otherwise.

That’s ok but do people just say they believe it’s safe for them to visit both parents at same time if the social distance and people like boris aren’t going to persuade them ? 
now I’m not saying who’s right or wrong but surely you see the problem 

46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If the existing plan for a pandemic was to move people from hospital to care homes, without being tested, then that is a failure of planning for which previous administration was responsible. If that wasn't the plan, why did we do it?

Maybe the NHS panicked and thought they would run out of bed space?

Now obviously bed space shortage is on the Conversative Government, but given we have got nowhere near breaching capacity could it be that the NHS pressed the panic button too soon? 

Could it be the NHS thought that vulnerable people would be safer away from a hospital setting?

I dont know the answer and wait until these questions are asked before passing judgement.

Unfortunately there are many who are judge, jury and executioner already on this matter with absolutely no evidence available. 

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How do schools enforce social distancing when the average number of pupils per classroom is 28?

Class sizes will be reduced. 
Use the largest rooms available. 
Take items out of the rooms which aren’t required, allowing students to be spaced out as much as possible.

Personally I think this thread is helpful. 

At a difficult time we can say the things we feel and air them without actually getting in someone's face. 

As a 'key worker' I go into work and my kids go into school some days. If I really tried I could pass responsibility on to other people, shift ways of working, say I am shielding, pull in favours...and get out of it. 

But I play by the rules. That's my make up. So that colours how I perceive other people. Also, I pick out the bits of information that support my natural leaning. 

I saw something along the lines that of 35,000 deaths, under 30 of them were young children and the majority of them had underlying conditions.

Do I think any of those deaths are ok? Would I speak to the families and say 'ah, tough, but you took one for the team'? Of course not, every death is the only one that matters for the family. So I do understand people thinking they won't take any risks. But my natural leaning is that life is risk: driving to work, eating meat, smoking, drinking, playing sports, riding without a helmet..whatever. My friend's daughter seriously broke her back climbing a tree recently and another's nearly died from a sudden nut allergy. My kids will still climb trees and eat nuts.. as I think will 99% of every other family. 

(I KNOW that Covid may be significantly more dangerous and I KNOW it is more about the adults who get the virus from the kids etc but it's still my general way of thinking.)

So, I am frustrated by people who now suggest they won't play by the rules, who want to get all the different variety of food brands in the shops, have petrol to put into their cars, have their post delivered, hospitals to go to if they get sick, their parents cared for in homes, people fixing their cars etc etc.  Who then also expect handymen / hairdressers/ restaurants /bars/ shop keepers to play by the rules and sit idly by as their business go into ruin and to worry about the greater good instead of taking a very small risk by going into work (my view, not everyone's, not a medical opinion). So I think if you are told to go to work, you should. 

But more confusingly, I also know people who cannot come into work as they have underlying health issues who are panicking as they worry that when the inevitable cuts come they will be at a disadvantage! My best friend is also getting right under my skin by breezily  saying 'oh no point in sending my kids back for a few weeks when they have been off for so long'. 

So.. I enjoy the to and fro, the absolutism..its all nothing but hot air and getting rid of irritation, when I don't even know you. So apologies for my occasional tart comment and I am sure everyone would be lovely in real life and I will refrain from indulging in futher sniping! 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Take items out of the rooms which aren’t required, allowing students to be spaced out as much as possible.

Also at this time of year, take classes outdoors when possible.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So what do the other 50% of kids do? I can possibly envisage a situation where children would go in on alternate days, but then parents who are working would have to do likewise.

I must confess that I was pretty spaced out most of my time in 6th form.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

If the existing plan for a pandemic was to move people from hospital to care homes, without being tested, then that is a failure of planning for which previous administration was responsible. If that wasn't the plan, why did we do it?

They are still doing it. Its standard practice.

any patient who has recovered enough must be discharged within two hours. Elderly patients were / are still being discharged into care homes. Some have been tested. Some haven't, it makes no difference. The new care home in belper is full of new covid 19 dischargees from hospital. 

The statistic released on Thursday showed that one in four people (26%) who have died in hospital in England following a diagnosis of coronavirus also had diabetes. 

I have not seen any explanation or suggestions why. Presumably its do with a failing immune system? 

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe the NHS panicked and thought they would run out of bed space?

Now obviously bed space shortage is on the Conversative Government, but given we have got nowhere near breaching capacity could it be that the NHS pressed the panic button too soon? 

Could it be the NHS thought that vulnerable people would be safer away from a hospital setting?

I dont know the answer and wait until these questions are asked before passing judgement.

Unfortunately there are many who are judge, jury and executioner already on this matter with absolutely no evidence available. 

It wasn't an nhs decision. It was a government instruction - still in force. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I have not seen any explanation or suggestions why. Presumably its do with a failing immune system? 

When you factor in the 62% of the population who are overweight or obese, I suspect that the paramilitary wing of Weightwatchers are behind it.

Archived