Coronavirus

1of4

27 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Scrub the above...the story goes further down the list.

Here it is.

On a vaccine for Covid-19, Health Secretary Matt Hancock says: "I am certain we will throw everything we've got at developing a vaccine."

He says the UK has "put more money than any other country on a vaccine search".

He mentions trials at Oxford and Imperial College London universities, saying they are "both promising projects" making "rapid progress".

He says the government will be giving £20m to the Oxford team to fund their clinical trials - and they will be trialing a vaccine on people starting on Thursday.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Fully agree, there's some poor decision making at airports - and it would appear we've continued with those choices for whatever reason.

Think this question was answered at the briefing today, but I was later left a bit confused.

Basically they say it's because as it takes up to 2 weeks to show symptoms so someone could be infected when they land but wouldn't get picked up with temperature checks anyway so there's no point.  Plus the impact in terms of numbers is not great enough to commit resources to. Fair enough, they acknowledge it's a risk, but are happy it's not a big enough problem...

However, I'm sure the other Health guy said that the swab tests would pick up people who were asymptomatic but were infected. I guess the fact these results are not immediate would be a problem, so you'd have to quarantine arrivals somewhere until the results came back positive or negative and then you'd be faced with a decision of what to do with the infected. Probably put in the too hard to do box.

12 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Here it is.

On a vaccine for Covid-19, Health Secretary Matt Hancock says: "I am certain we will throw everything we've got at developing a vaccine."

He mentions trials at Oxford and Imperial College London universities, saying they are "both promising projects" making "rapid progress".

He says the government will be giving £20m to the Oxford team to fund their clinical trials - and they will be trialing a vaccine on people starting on Thursday.

Lets hope it cures everyone.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

Here it is.

I tried to sign up, but it's only for volunteers in the Home counties.

8 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

If you were allowed to sign up how would you know if it was effective if everyone is in isolation?

Would think the tests are just to see if you build up antibodies 

The vaccine is good news. There will be some risk, because it can’t have been fully tested, but we are going to have to take risks.

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

If you were allowed to sign up how would you know if it was effective if everyone is in isolation?

I'm not in isolation. Go to work every day.

As do Millions of others.

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The vaccine is good news. There will be some risk, because it can’t have been fully tested, but we are going to have to take risks.

Risk taking is only viable when the risk is understood anything else is pure desperation 

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Think this question was answered at the briefing today, but I was later left a bit confused.

Basically they say it's because as it takes up to 2 weeks to show symptoms so someone could be infected when they land but wouldn't get picked up with temperature checks anyway so there's no point.  Plus the impact in terms of numbers is not great enough to commit resources to. Fair enough, they acknowledge it's a risk, but are happy it's not a big enough problem...

However, I'm sure the other Health guy said that the swab tests would pick up people who were asymptomatic but were infected. I guess the fact these results are not immediate would be a problem, so you'd have to quarantine arrivals somewhere until the results came back positive or negative and then you'd be faced with a decision of what to do with the infected. Probably put in the too hard to do box.

Very good analysis that. 

A lot of hassle for limited effect.

Plus, what if people refuse to be quarantined too.. Or take a test... Can it be enforced? Dangerous new precedents would have to be set. 

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Risk taking is only viable when the risk is understood anything else is pure desperation 

From what I've read, it's an adaptation of a pre existing vaccine for a slightly different disease, so the trial is just looking to make sure that it still is safe, with effectiveness in treating Covid still to be proved.

The pre existing proven safety has possibly allowed it to come to clinical trial earlier.

36 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm not in isolation. Go to work every day.

As do Millions of others.

I go to work too. I go from my bedroom to the kitchen with the odd site visit when required. 
I just don’t think it will get the correct exposure under the current conditions.

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Those protesting are a very tiny minority of the US population and probably at the lower end of the intelligence and common sense spectrum. Lots of people are suffering financially and emotionally but surely lifting the lock down is not the answer.

I have to disagree. Should have said most definitely not on the spectrum, starting with the orange buffoon as a prime example

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

From what I've read, it's an adaptation of a pre existing vaccine for a slightly different disease, so the trial is just looking to make sure that it still is safe, with effectiveness in treating Covid still to be proved.

The pre existing proven safety has possibly allowed it to come to clinical trial earlier.

Apparently it's a genetically engineered harmless chimpanzee virus that is used as a vector for sneaking the coronavirus RNA into human cells in order to provoke an immune response. I've no idea which vaccine it has been used for in the past, but one possible problem is that you might already be immune to the chimpanzee virus if you have already been injected with the previous vaccine and the new vaccine with the second-hand vector might not work.

Archived