Coronavirus

1of4

31 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Gentleman just came and asked me if he could buy one of these ?

JYLcOwq.jpg

You can buy whatever you want,it’s absolutely none of my business...have you seen Deliverance?(l made the last bit up).

Blimey...you might need to do a runner when the squadron of Police cars rip into the car park.
He’s dead meat if they catch him trying to attach it to the roof rack. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m with @G STAR RAM - I’m really curious why German deaths are lower.

Similar population size.

I hear more testing - so what....

I hear more ICU beds... we haven’t been over capacity.

So what was different?

I wonder if it’s earlier hospitalisation and given oxygen earlier?

I wonder if it’s less exposure to the virus due to testing and isolation? (I’ve read theories that if you are only partially exposed to it then you stand a better chance of not getting it as badly)

I don’t know what their age demographics are nor their backgrounds and if this has helped them?

Either way I am actually curious.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Similar population size.

So what was different?

I wonder if it’s less exposure to the virus due to testing and isolation? (I’ve read theories that if you are only partially exposed to it then you stand a better chance of not getting it as badly)

I don’t know what their age demographics are nor their backgrounds and if this has helped them?

I'd hope the experts are actively researching this rather than making a graph to tell us how many people have been on the bus today!

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Similar population size.

So what was different?

I think the most logical answer would be earlier detection / treatment. Hard to see what else it could be really.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think the most logical answer would be earlier detection / treatment. Hard to see what else it could be really.

Guess that would stack up. If they've got more hospital beds then can get more patients into hospital quicker and treat before symptoms get more severe, although I'm sure the media would be beating the Government with this stick if it was the case?

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely the graph would already take into account if people were not taking it seriously as this would affect the rate of infection?

Perhaps it is. A month ago, the R0 (rate if infection, i.e. the number of new people each infected person passes the virus on to) was thought to be in the order of 3. Now, it's around 1. Hence cases are no longer increasing exponentially. Without the partial lockdown 3 weeks ago, new cases by now would have possibly been getting to the stage where they would have utterly overwhelmed the NHS.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Guess that would stack up. If they've got more hospital beds then can get more patients into hospital quicker and treat before symptoms get more severe, although I'm sure the media would be beating the Government with this stick if it was the case?

I think because it was assumed that we would be overrun, we've been more reticent to admit folk to hospital. With hindsight, maybe we'd have done things differently? 

As for the press, it seems like they are busy with other 'sticks' right now. They seem weirdly united in their views right now. Not sure what that says about our media though, to be honest. There appear to be some rumblings from within the Tory party itself over Johnson's performance specifically so, perhaps that explains the anomaly? The truth will out I guess...

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doesnt explain why less deaths from confirmed cases does it?

Generally healthier people would have been tested, isolated if positive, hence reducing the spread of the virus.

We seem to have done most our testing on people who have been admitted to hospital with severe symptoms.

Only reasonably reliable metric is deaths per 1000 people, although that doesn't account for different demographics and population density. Also is hard to compare when countries are at different stages with the virus. Those US states not under lockdown may be about to explode.

I'd be interested seeing an updated chart of number of deaths by date of death. I hope this isn't been kept hidden from us and the reported death numbers aren't been massaged to keep people either a) compliant in lockdown or b) ignorant of how things are still getting worse.

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Generally healthier people would have been tested, isolated if positive, hence reducing the spread of the virus.

We seem to have done most our testing on people who have been admitted to hospital with severe symptoms.

Only reasonably reliable metric is deaths per 1000 people, although that doesn't account for different demographics and population density. Also is hard to compare when countries are at different stages with the virus. Those US states not under lockdown may be about to explode.

I'd be interested seeing an updated chart of number of deaths by date of death. I hope this isn't been kept hidden from us and the reported death numbers aren't been massaged to keep people either a) compliant in lockdown or b) ignorant of how things are still getting worse.

ONS stats will be released tomorrow

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Here's a world chart...if any help.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdUOA?Si

47 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

There's literally no good news in that.

In cases that need treatment, a 20% death rate.

54,000 currently in critical condition, of which 1500 in UK, so would expect another 11,000ish deaths from them.

Still over 600,000 active cases in USA.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

54,000 currently in critical condition, of which 1500 in UK, so would expect another 11,000ish deaths from them.

Still over 600,000 active cases in USA.

It seems an odd choice for the US to think now's the time to start relaxing the rules. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Similar population size.

So what was different?

Me too. The only other countries that buck the trends are China, Russia, Iran. Surely the percentage of deaths to infections will be more or less the same unless they have a wonder drug or are treating people differently. The only other possibility is testing, identifying and the isolation but surely they will have passed it to people before hand.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

It seems an odd choice for the US to think now's the time to start relaxing the rules. 

Is it a case of relaxing the rules or is it simply Trump covering his large backside by giving the individual states enough rope to hang themselves? They let people go back to work or go to the beach and then have a spike in infections and deaths and he can sit back and lay all the blame at their feet. He’s more than happy to sacrifice a few thousand thick yanks if it helps him get re-elected.....

Archived