Optimisim for next season

jkew31

10 hours ago, jkew31 said:

Was a toss up between the 2. Cocu's first signing at PSV was Luuk De Jong whose massive so I think it's an important position for him to have the right player

Yes I think he might go for someone like Cyriel Dessers who is 25 and causing trauma in every defense  in the Eredivisie. In the summer we probably could have got him for 1M tops now probably 4-5M

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Have you watched Douglas recently? He can’t tackle and is a complete liability. He can’t stay fit either. 

Still rate him....he's had a few injuries but he's looked decent when I've seen him play

he obviously doesn't score highly on your stats calculator......

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Still rate him....he's had a few injuries but he's looked decent when I've seen him play

he obviously doesn't score highly on your stats calculator......

Ask Leeds fans on their opinion. Most wish he had never joined them. 
Even against our U23s he did little of note on the ball and struggled to deal with Hepburn-Murphy.

On 14/02/2020 at 13:41, S8TY said:

Think our full backs are defensively a liability and wished we’d signed Barry Douglas before Leeds got him ...it is no use having full backs who are good going forward but are defensively poor ...i’d even go further to say Bogle couldn’t even beat his man or get a cross in on weds so if they don’t improve both positions will need addressing but I live in hope both will get better ...I agree on Ibe but maybe he needs a Cocu Rooney influence at this stage as it might help him 

If you don’t think full backs who can attack but not defend are what we need then why the hell dya want Douglas? ? 

We need to get the best out of the players we have - if they play to their full potential they can be excellent. And we have to have a majority of the team capable of playing in the Premier if we get there , so cannot let go our better ones. Whilst retaining players who have proven ability in the champ. 

The key for the defence is to get a quality keeper in , one who wins us points like Carson regularly used to do. And who inspires his defence . The sort who might  have stopped the equalisers by Huddersfield and Fulham. And for whom letting in 3 goals in a game is a rarity. If Carson can no longer do that I would try to pick up Westwood from Wednesday. 35 I know but always looks immense for them when they come to PP. If not him, Wigans Marshall is also quality. Neither would cost a bomb.

Bogle clearly is quality , we do not want to let him go. He's just having second season syndrome and will be back better than ever before long. Personally I am more than happy for Forsyth to be the left back - a proper defender with height . Max Lowe needs to work on his desire to be a defender and would be good backup. If he doesn't fancy that he can go to Brentford. The new dutch guy fills one of the CB places and I would put Bielik next to him : we have plenty of good midfielders, ts Bieliks natural position. Davies/Evans perfectly good backup.

Midfield is sorted. Bird, Rooney, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Hudds, Lawrence

Up front we all know Marriott can be something special - its up to the management and himself to make that happen. Waggy is so reliable and hardworking and picks up plenty of goals, and Chrissy Martin a good alternative for another year. And plenty from the academy pushing. 

So it just needs a good winger. God knows who. 

They you are - new keeper, new winger. Splash the cash on them two. All that's needed. 

And forget loans, they don't help. We should use the academy instead. 

Optimism depends upon whether there will be a points deduction this season, next season or both. we certainly need to have made a big cut in the wages in order to avoid further problems. 

The defence needs a rebuild; the midfield can still be improved; and none of our strikers look quite right in a 4231.

Keeper: I had high hopes for roos, but along with one or two others he seems to have plateaued and remains prone to errors. Ravas probably needs a loan. new signing(s) required. 

full backs; wizz and fozzy are doing ok. The jury is out on bogle and Lowe. Ebosele, Buchanan and Archie brown seem to be bubbling under. Perry ng has been linked too. Depends on whether we attract big money bids for bogle and Lowe. Malone will stay if there is no interest in him, and I wouldn’t really expect any. 

central defence: te wierik and Davies are confirmed, but we certainly need one or two more. A Clarke / bogle exchange deal might be a possibility. Alternatively we might be linked with another Chelsea youngster on loan. I quite like the look of the tomori lookalike at Swansea. Not sure about wizz after that display at Swansea.

holding midfield: max bird has blossomed and we should expect big money interest in him. Huddz might get another year if bird goes. (Cocu seems to like him). Bielik is out. Evans and shinnie are decent squad players. Jason brown is emerging at a rate of knots. 

wide men: it looks like we will continue to rely on full backs for width, rather than wingers. Lawrence is an inside forward, not a winger. Knight is playing out of position. Holmes might shift out wide to accommodate Rooney. Hepburn-Murphy might be the surprise package. Jozefzoon and anya will surely both go. 

central midfield; Rooney is the man. knight and sibley may have to be patient. Holmes - see above.

striker; Waghorn, Whittaker and one other? I don’t see Marriott or Martin surviving for long under cocu. I think he would prefer a more mobile pacy striker. 

Archived