Optimisim for next season

jkew31

Other reasons to be cheerful are:

1) Cocu can sign the players to suit his system

2) Our youngsters are getting game time this season so should hopefully be even better next year

3) We can get rid of a bit more of the over-paid deadwood (not necessarily the players fault, I hasten to add!)

4) We won't have all the off-field drama we have had this season... hopefully!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revised squad for next season

GK: Roos, Mitchell, (Foster-Theniger)
RB: Bogle, Wisdom, (Ebosele)
RCB: Te Wierik, Wisdom, (Minkley)
LCB: New, Davies, (Cashin)
LB: Lowe, Malone, (Buchanan)
DM: Bird, Bielik, Huddlestone, Evans, (JBrown)
CM: Holmes, Shinnie, Knight
AM: Rooney, Sibley
RW: New, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, JML, (Archie)
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, (Trialist)

Released: Forsyth, Anya, Bennett, Martin
Sold: Carson, Jozefzoon
Loaned: Ravas, Barnes, Yates, Bateman, Wassall, Babos, Shonibare, Cresswell, Splatt

On 26/02/2020 at 23:15, Ghost of Clough said:

Loaned: Ravas, Barnes, Yates, Bateman, Wassall, Babos, Shonibare, Cresswell, Splatt

Rather out malone and keep fozzy 

On 26/02/2020 at 16:15, Ghost of Clough said:

Cant disagree with most of that, Ebosele for one looks a prospect, as are the others, the Academy is doing great work... sadly Curtis Davies looks so shaky (qpr) was an example of his lack of confidence I feel we need another new signing along side Twerky. A new goalie is also a must imho. Sadly Bielik is out till Xmas, and who knows how he'll come back ( attitude and skill wise? ) A winger too maybe ? But we'll see, new investors? Interesting summer ahead... 

On 14/02/2020 at 10:55, Ghost of Clough said:

Close to how I see it. But I imagine the older U23s will go out on loan (or sold). Yates, Ravas, Barnes, Wassall, Bateman, JML, Shonibare, Cresswell, Trialist are all 20 or over now so should be chasing first team football elsewhere if they can't get it here. Hepburn-Murphy to get a full season at the club before he joins the group of youths listed above.

We went into this season with 2 established players in each position, backed up by the likes of Bird and Knight or versatility within the squad, so I expect similar next season.

Considering the severity of Bielik's injury (apologizes for the pessimism) I can't see Huddlestone and Evans leaving. After such an injury it's a big ask for him to step back up, leaving a fairly heavy burden on Bird and Shinnie as the main DMs. Evans seems to be unreliable in staying injury free (sorry for the pessimism again), so an extra year for Huddlestone looks likely, which will also boost the number of homegrown players at the club.

I'd be happy with either Malone or Forsyth in the squad. But, i'd side with Fozzy due to his versatility and it makes more financial sense (we'd get more cash for Malone). The same applies to Martin and Marriott, but with Martin having by far the better season. It's a financial risk extending contracts hoping you'll sell other players though.

Roos has 3 months to prove he's good enough. Hopefully, the work he's put in since being dropped has paid off.

More money for Malone ????

have u seen him play ?

if we got someone to take over his contract then without being cynical that would be a brilliant result for us 

On 26/02/2020 at 16:15, Ghost of Clough said:

Some horrible selections in your pick.......Roos , Malone , Huddlestone , Marriott (he'll be gone - near 2 full seasons and not yet consistent and now hardly  scoring ).

But who would buy a striker who hasn’t shown consistency and hardly scoring after nearly 2 full seasons ? Not trying to play devil’s advocate there by the way, Marriott’s testing my patience lately and I had really high hopes for him at one time but if he was elsewhere and we bought him after showing the kind of form he’s shown for us, I’d be questioning the diligence of our scouting set up.

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

More money for Malone ????

have u seen him play ?

if we got someone to take over his contract then without being cynical that would be a brilliant result for us 

If you honestly believe we wouldn’t get a fee for Malone, then it says a lot about your views in general. Given Forsyth’s injury record, we’d struggle to get more than £200k for him. Whereas we’d get £500k at the very minimum for Malone. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you honestly believe we wouldn’t get a fee for Malone, then it says a lot about your views in general. Given Forsyth’s injury record, we’d struggle to get more than £200k for him. Whereas we’d get £500k at the very minimum for Malone. 

I’m with @NottsRam77 

I can’t see us getting a fee for Malone. Championship clubs and below are really feeling the ffp pinch now. The best we could expect be a loan deal until his contract expires. (Unless an MLS club signs him).

On 25/02/2020 at 16:51, Raich Van Carter said:

Other reasons to be cheerful are:

1) Cocu can sign the players to suit his system

2) Our youngsters are getting game time this season so should hopefully be even better next year

3) We can get rid of a bit more of the over-paid deadwood (not necessarily the players fault, I hasten to add!)

4) We won't have all the off-field drama we have had this season... hopefully!

Assuming he will have enough money to spend on the players he would want with the right quality.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You reckon lmao 

so a club in the championship or below are going to come in for an aging full back who’s best years are behind him.... so much so that he’s considered pretty much third choice at a smack bang average championship club ?  Probably on a fair mint too

Ur having a laugh pal, 

If we get a token undisclosed couple of hundred thousand and they take on his probably 15k+ wage we’ve done extremely well

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’ll have a tenner with u that we don’t get 500k or more for him 

my guess is mutual consent end of season 

Archived