Optimisim for next season

jkew31

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's interesting isn't it. Rather than look at pure goals scored isn't the conversion rate of chances Vs goals scored more instructive?

Waghorn must be trying to fill the void left by Johnny Russell for the sides serial fluffer of 1 on 1s

Surely a fair comparison is when they've played the same amount of minutes though?

Strikers tend to have good and bad spells.

I imagine Pukkis stats from the first 3rd of the season would be much different to the second 3rd.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely a fair comparison is when they've played the same amount of minutes though?

Strikers tend to have good and bad spells.

I imagine Pukkis stats from the first 3rd of the season would be much different to the second 3rd.

Yes and no. If they've played the same amount of minutes but one player has spurned umpteen clear cut chances during that time compared to the other player then that needs to be taken into consideration

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Interesting suggestions.

Yeh, we definitely should have signed a random who's first moment at this level has been this season - A guy who couldn't score goals for Eddie Howe at Bournemouth in League 1

Marriott was light years ahead of the forwards in League 1 when we signed him and he's been much less prolific at this level - Why would Cocu (a manager brand new to English football) buy a player who has much worse career stats?

Absolutely nothing about his stats before this season would suggest he'd get this many goals in this many games - So not sure how @Papahet expects us to pick the lad up - Time travel? 

59 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh, we definitely should have signed a random who's first moment at this level has been this season - A guy who couldn't score goals for Eddie Howe at Bournemouth in League 1

Marriott was light years ahead of the forwards in League 1 when we signed him and he's been much less prolific at this level - Why would Cocu (a manager brand new to English football) buy a player who has much worse career stats?

Absolutely nothing about his stats before this season would suggest he'd get this many goals in this many games - So not sure how @Papahet expects us to pick the lad up - Time travel? 

Of course we could sign him now and then all moan next season that we have signed someone on the back of one good season?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Perhaps you could make a player suggestion instead of the usual hatchet job on someone else? 

21 hours ago, Papahet said:

For every goal he’s scored, he’s missed about ten sitters to get it.

When you have someone like Rooney literally gifting you a golden opportunity, I’d rather a killer finisher get on the end of it. Waghorn isn’t that man IMO.

14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's interesting isn't it. Rather than look at pure goals scored isn't the conversion rate of chances Vs goals scored more instructive?

Waghorn must be trying to fill the void left by Johnny Russell for the sides serial fluffer of 1 on 1s

Here's my post from a couple of weeks ago.

On 14/02/2020 at 11:15, Ghost of Clough said:

Martin - 1 goal per 172 mins. 1 every 3 shots
Waghorn - 1 goal per 215 mins. 1 every 6 shots

Compare them with other players to have scored 10 or more so far...
Mitrovic - 124 mins (1 in 5 shots)
Wells - 124 mins (1 in 3 shots)
Watkins - 144 mins(1 in 4 shots)
Fletcher - 155 mins (1 in 5 shots)
Bowen - 163 mins (1 in 6 shots)
Grabban - 166 mins (1 in 4 shots)
Mbuemo - 174 mins (1 in 5 shots)
Johnson - 186 mins (1 in 3 shots)
Bamford - 202 mins (1 in 9 shots)
Grant - 204 mins (1 in 6 shots)
Woodrow - 205 mins (1 in 8 shots)
Jutkiewicz - 242 mins (1 in 9 shots)
Wallace - 264 mins (1 in 7 shots)
Ayew - 266 mins (1 in 8 shots)
Collins - 281 mins (1 in 6 shots)
Eze - 283 mins (1 in 8 shots)

Martin is more clinical than any of those listed (Martin's 3.1 vs Wells 3.5 and Johnson's 3.2). Only 6 of those score more regularly.
Considering the chances Waghorn's missed, not many are more clinical.

Want a more clinical CF than Waghorn? How much would it cost (fee/wages) to buy Mitrovic, Wells, Watkins, Fletcher or Grabban. 

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course we could sign him now and then all moan next season that we have signed someone on the back of one good season?

Did anyone say Nick Blackman?

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Perhaps you could make a player suggestion instead of the usual hatchet job on someone else? 

I don't claim to be a professional football scout - Would you like me to just list players who've scored goals this season? Cos that seems to be the level of suggestion some people use on here

However I also don't malign our current players and then suggest that someone who's had one good season at this level in his entire career would be a better option than our current top scorer

This is supposed to be a thread about optimism for next season btw

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Did anyone say Nick Blackman?

I don't claim to be a professional football scout - Would you like me to just list players who've scored goals this season? Cos that seems to be the level of suggestion some people use on here

However I also don't malign our current players and then suggest that someone who's had one good season at this level in his entire career would be a better option than our current top scorer

This is supposed to be a thread about optimism for next season btw

No doubt we'll have some people suggesting Toney, but he's far from clinical - 1 in 5.5 in League 1

To try and keep the optimism flowing, rather than trying to list players who we should have bought, or ought, I'll just focus on a few bits.

We had an absolutely awful start to the season, hindered by a dire pre-season.  Lampard jumped ship.  Cocu joined, knowing zilch about the Championship.  We lost our 3 best players back to the PL. Keogh-gate.  Distracting sale issues. Now EFL charges hanging over us.  Despite all that, acadamy players have been successfully blooded, Bird/Knight excelling.  Rooney's joined and is making a big difference.  Cocu is finally getting to grips with the team and, because of bad luck / poor decisions we should have another 3-5 points on the board minimum IMO,  sitting around 10th or 11th.  Performances are improving if not quite the results yet.  We're not far off.  Yes we could do with 2 or 3 players so let's see what Cocu does in the summer.  I do think he's the right man for the job.  Look what he's done with everything that he's inherited and has happened since joining.  

Points deduction threat aside, I am really optimistic we're on the up again and I remain confident for a much more exciting 20/21. 

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:16, jkew31 said:

GK - New, Ravas

RB - Bogle, Wisdom, Ebosele

LB - Lowe, Forsyth, Buchanan

CB - Te Weirik, New, Davies, Wisdom/Forsyth

CDM - Rooney, Bird, Bielik, Shinnie, J Brown, Dixon

AM - New, Lawrence, Holmes, Knight, Sibley, Mitchell-Lawson, A Brown

ST - Waghorn, Martin, Whittaker, Hector-Ingram, Hepburn-Murphy

20 first team players plus support from the academy is a lot more sustainable than what we currently have. I have obviously been really optimistic about us not loosing any of our main players or youngsters such as Bogle, Knight, Bird etc but would love to hear your thoughts

Which club does this guy New play at? I doubt if we will be able to afford someone that flexible position-wise. ?

We were closer last season than it felt at Wembley.

I have to say I think we have had the players to get promoted for a few seasons now, what we lack is solid winning momentum throughout a season.

Also leadership.

36 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Which club does this guy New play at? I doubt if we will be able to afford someone that flexible position-wise. ?

We were closer last season than it felt at Wembley.

I have to say I think we have had the players to get promoted for a few seasons now, what we lack is solid winning momentum throughout a season.

Also leadership.

I think we have that leadership now with Rooney, we literally have a coach on the pitch for Cocu to get his message across with.

No one in this league goes up having a winning momentum throughout a whole season. If you look at us since the Wigan away game we've got 19 points from 11 games which is 3rd in the form table, 2 points off of Forest who are 1st. We've managed to keep it up for 2 months, and we're still 13th. If we can carry this into next season we will have a proper push. Need to sort out away performances as well.

46 minutes ago, jkew31 said:

I think we have that leadership now with Rooney, we literally have a coach on the pitch for Cocu to get his message across with.

No one in this league goes up having a winning momentum throughout a whole season. If you look at us since the Wigan away game we've got 19 points from 11 games which is 3rd in the form table, 2 points off of Forest who are 1st. We've managed to keep it up for 2 months, and we're still 13th. If we can carry this into next season we will have a proper push. Need to sort out away performances as well.

Yes...

Rooney 15 from 9 starts And bird 15 from 9 

if we could maintain that we would be chasing 6th

but there are some surprising stats elsewhere

• lowe 22 from 20 ( I had to double check that)
  • fozzy 14 from 12
  • malone 21 from  15
  • wisdom  18 from 11 best defender 
  • bogle 29 from 23 
  • clarke 34 in 22

On 23/02/2020 at 01:47, Pastinaak said:

What about Dunc? You've literally left out our best player! Poor old Dunc ?

On 23/02/2020 at 02:55, Emson said:

Do you mean Duane ?

"Duane" is his Sunday name.
"Duane" is the name his mother calls him when he's been naughty.
"Duane" is what his missus calls him when she rings him at 3am to find out where the hell he is.
"Duane" is what he gets referred to as in Church.
"Duane" is what shows on his Birth Certificate, but won't be on is headstone.

For the rest of us, it's "Big Duncan", or "Dunc" for short*

* Absolutely and emphatically no height-related pun intended!

3 minutes ago, jkew31 said:

I don't know why but I thought Lyle Taylor was early 20's like Ollie Watkins, turns out he's 29! Same with Mitrovic, thought he was early 30's, he's 25?! Feels like he's been around for ages ?

Mitrovic has spent 3 years in the championship; been one of the best players in the league for two of them and clearly capable in the other (his first) - all of those seasons have been preceeded by seasons in the PL during which he's not looked particularly incapable (11 goals 3 assists in an awful Fulham PL side the latest one). Why he keeps being allowed to play in the Championship boggles my mind.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

"Duane" is his Sunday name.
"Duane" is the name his mother calls him when he's been naughty.
"Duane" is what his missus calls him when she rings him at 3am to find out where the hell he is.
"Duane" is what he gets referred to as in Church.
"Duane" is what shows on his Birth Certificate, but won't be on is headstone.

For the rest of us, it's "Big Duncan", or "Dunc" for short*

* Absolutely and emphatically no height-related pun intended!

.......and Duncan Disorderly when he meets the lads in The Joiners for a cheeky after match drink.

Archived