Optimisim for next season

jkew31

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Optimism depends upon whether there will be a points deduction this season, next season or both. we certainly need to have made a big cut in the wages in order to avoid further problems. 

The defence needs a rebuild; the midfield can still be improved; and none of our strikers look quite right in a 4231.

Keeper: I had high hopes for roos, but along with one or two others he seems to have plateaued and remains prone to errors. Ravas probably needs a loan. new signing(s) required. 

full backs; wizz and fozzy are doing ok. The jury is out on bogle and Lowe. Ebosele, Buchanan and Archie brown seem to be bubbling under. Perry ng has been linked too. Depends on whether we attract big money bids for bogle and Lowe. Malone will stay if there is no interest in him, and I wouldn’t really expect any. 

central defence: te wierik and Davies are confirmed, but we certainly need one or two more. A Clarke / bogle exchange deal might be a possibility. Alternatively we might be linked with another Chelsea youngster on loan. I quite like the look of the tomori lookalike at Swansea. Not sure about wizz after that display at Swansea.

holding midfield: max bird has blossomed and we should expect big money interest in him. Huddz might get another year if bird goes. (Cocu seems to like him). Bielik is out. Evans and shinnie are decent squad players. Jason brown is emerging at a rate of knots. 

wide men: it looks like we will continue to rely on full backs for width, rather than wingers. Lawrence is an inside forward, not a winger. Knight is playing out of position. Holmes might shift out wide to accommodate Rooney. Hepburn-Murphy might be the surprise package. Jozefzoon and anya will surely both go. 

central midfield; Rooney is the man. knight and sibley may have to be patient. Holmes - see above.

striker; Waghorn, Whittaker and one other? I don’t see Marriott or Martin surviving for long under cocu. I think he would prefer a more mobile pacy striker. 

Why sell Bogle,Lowe and Bird when these are the sort of players we should be building the team around?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Why sell Bogle,Lowe and Bird when these are the sort of players we should be building the team around?

I’m not saying we should. I’m saying max bird would surely attract a bid. Bogle has been linked with Brighton, who own Clarke, and we need a centre back, so it’s a possibility. After that it just depends whether we need to raise money for ffp and new players.

55 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

We have the money- we’re just not allowed to spend it.

True. But you can spend income raised through sales. 

5 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Some fans just want us to sell anyone who gets decent. If we had a track record of excellent signings, I could see their point. But selling Bird to sign a Johnson and Butterfield just makes me lose complete interest in football. We need to build around the youngsters, resist bids and make teams pay well over the going rate for them if we decide to sell, which we shouldn't. 

I'm optimistic that we'll learn how to spell optimism.........?

But a serious point....we've got to prepare for life after Rooney. We've got to assume that next season will be his last. If we're as successful as we hope then there's no way Rooney would be able to do another season in the prem.

I'm optimistic that we'll develop some enduring partnerships out of our youngsters....?

10 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Sometimes you can never tell when / if it's good to sell. For instance if Bogle doesn't improve defensively, the club might regret rejecting a significant offer (if such an offer ever materialised). 

18 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m not saying we should. 

13 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Some fans just want us to sell anyone who gets decent. 

?

On 14/02/2020 at 10:36, Papahet said:

I look at those forwards each time and think “meh”. We need someone who is deadly infront of goal, Martin isn’t that 15-20 a season man anymore. Waghorn never has been. Marriott? HA..

I still think we need a target man, in the mould of Rasiak. 
Get Ibe back if he’s available, loan or buy...someone who actually can beat his man.

GK, CB, 2X wide players, forward.

You mean apart from:-

2015/16 - 28 goals 

2016/17 - 16 goals

2017/18 - 16 goals

Fell 1 short last season and is probably on course to do roughly the same this year

55 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

2015/16 - 28 goals 

2016/17 - 16 goals

2017/18 - 16 goals

Fell 1 short last season and is probably on course to do roughly the same this year

Only 11 players in the championship have more goals than Waggers this season

Only 8 players from the top scorers list have a better mins per goal than Martin

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a scorer in the top 5 but neither of them are 'past it' (as some other posters suggest)

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

2015/16 - 28 goals 

2016/17 - 16 goals

2017/18 - 16 goals

For every goal he’s scored, he’s missed about ten sitters to get it.

When you have someone like Rooney literally gifting you a golden opportunity, I’d rather a killer finisher get on the end of it. Waghorn isn’t that man IMO.

17 minutes ago, Papahet said:

When you have someone like Rooney literally gifting you a golden opportunity, I’d rather a killer finisher get on the end of it. Waghorn isn’t that man IMO.

Who are the 'killer finishers' in the Championship?  You have Mitrovic and Watkins and the rest lag far behind. Who are you suggesting we sign? It's all very well saying we need top goalscorers but if they were that easy to find every team would have one. As it is, we tried to buy one of the aforementioned but were asked more than double what he eventually went for though that looks a pittance now. 

Also, I think our lack of goals until recent games has been more to do with not having players who consistently deliver assists. Ellasson and Pereira top that chart with 12 a piece but we've not got a single player with more than 4 this season. I think we've looked better in that regard recently but for this season it may be a case of being a day late and a dollar short. I'm confident there'll be no such repeat next season though.

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

That isnt what you said, you said hes never been a 15-20 goal a season man.

The stats say different. 

For the first half of the season we were creating absolutely nothing. Match after match without a shot on target so I dont think 11 goals at this point (with 2 missed penalties also) is too bad a return.

Would be interested to hear your suggestions of who you would replace him with?

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That isnt what you said, you said hes never been a 15-20 goal a season man.

The stats say different. 

For the first half of the season we were creating absolutely nothing. Match after match without a shot on target so I dont think 11 goals at this point (with 2 missed penalties also) is too bad a return.

Would be interested to hear your suggestions of who you would replace him with?

Lyle Taylor at Charlton

121 minutes per goal. 1333 minutes played. 11 goals. 1 assist. 70% shot on target

Martyn Waghorn:

230  minutes per goal. 2530  minutes played. 11 goals. 1 assist. 56% shots on target

Really isn't that great, considering the amount of game time he gets.

We shouldn't have gone for Bielik IMO, i'd have saved the money and gone for Ollie Watkins or Karla Grant...

9 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Lyle Taylor at Charlton

121 minutes per goal. 1333 minutes played. 11 goals. 1 assist. 70% shot on target

Martyn Waghorn:

230  minutes per goal. 2530  minutes played. 11 goals. 1 assist. 56% shots on target

We shouldn't have gone for Bielik IMO, i'd have saved the money and gone for Ollie Watkins or Karla Grant...

Interesting suggestions.

On 23/02/2020 at 16:34, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm optimistic that we'll learn how to spell optimism.........?

But a serious point....we've got to prepare for life after Rooney. We've got to assume that next season will be his last. If we're as successful as we hope then there's no way Rooney would be able to do another season in the prem.

I'm optimistic that we'll develop some enduring partnerships out of our youngsters....?

I think with Knight Bird Sibley and Bielik we have to a certain extent covered the situation for when Rooney departs. Midfield has lots of cover, youth, options .. it’s a done deal and gre

my concern is Attack and Defence.
In defence: Lowe and Bogle are fantastic players but both haven’t yet sorted their defensive responsibilities / ability. Then add in that Curtis can only do what aging legs and lack of ball skill will allow. Clarke is a loanee and Fozzie has his injury history .. we are exposed at the back in terms of future planning.

Attack: Waggy is a stalwart who will do what he does for a 2-3 of years more. Marriott is fragile. Chrissy isn’t well and is getting on. Where is the fire power to get us over the line. ? 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Lyle Taylor at Charlton

Martyn Waghorn:

It's interesting isn't it. Rather than look at pure goals scored isn't the conversion rate of chances Vs goals scored more instructive?

Waghorn must be trying to fill the void left by Johnny Russell for the sides serial fluffer of 1 on 1s

Archived