Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Anyone think Marroitt has basically never been fit since he arrived?

Maybe the recent surgery will put an end to this?

Think we saw that at the start of last season when pboro hadn't played him at all pre season for fear of injury and missing out on the cash.  When he was fit he looked great and despite clouded memories worked his arse off.  Then he picked up that stomach inhury- missed a month and came back into the team with no Mount or creativity and struggled. Caught fire again against Leeds- scoring a goal right at the death which i'm sure anyone else would have missed, a great finish- which we put out against Villa by picking Bennett.  He also scored in that one and terrified Mings for 20 minutes who had spent the previous 70 minutes filing his nails.

This year he has had bit parts under Cocu. Got another injury and has looked like a player under pressure to achieve in limited time.I'm convinced we have a player here who will score goals if not for us another team at the top end of this league.  If memory serves me he was recommended to Lampard by Terry who had marked him against Villa in the FA cup when he got two goals.  Questionable people skills, but probably knows a bit about strikers.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm convinced we have a player here who will score goals if not for us another team at the top end of this league. 

I'm convinced of that too. But I'm yet to be convinced he'll stay fit.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. You are aware of his scoring record this season?

Yeah, 11. Luton and Barnsley strikers have more. Were 12th in the league with a mammoth 59 goals in 45 games. I admire your faith in him but he just isnt good enough. Cant believe you think 11 is a good return. Mitro has 25+

2 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Yeah, 11. Luton and Barnsley strikers have more. Were 12th in the league with a mammoth 59 goals in 45 games. I admire your faith in him but he just isnt good enough. Cant believe you think 11 is a good return. Mitro has 25+

Out of how many starts, Until recently he had the best goals per minute ratio in the division.

Boom (as the kids say)

4 minutes ago, Xlor said:

I think that’s rather unfair as he has only played in about half of our games and his goal return is ok but if you want to criticise then maybe you could look at the goal return of others who were selected more frequently 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think that’s rather unfair as he has only played in about half of our games and his goal return is ok but if you want to criticise then maybe you could look at the goal return of others who were selected more frequently 

Its not just his goals return though. His mobility is worse than stephen hawking. Its embarrassing watching him trying to sprint. I've just looked at goals per mins, not even on the list. Sergio Ramos has scored more. If 11 goals and mid table is decent I'm iron man. 

8 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Its not just his goals return though. His mobility is worse than stephen hawking. Its embarrassing watching him trying to sprint. I've just looked at goals per mins, not even on the list. Sergio Ramos has scored more. If 11 goals and mid table is decent I'm iron man. 

Waggy? Waggy is that you?! There's room for you both Waggy. ?

29 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Only one of Sergio Ramos’ goals are from open play 

Martin averages a goal every 182 minutes in the league 

His mobility isn’t an issue when he’s the one linking play together, he’s our top assister despite just playing in 49% of available minutes this season 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Only one of Sergio Ramos’ goals are from open play 

Martin averages a goal every 182 minutes in the league 

His mobility isn’t an issue when he’s the one linking play together, he’s our top assisted despite just playing in 49% of available minutes this season 

I imagine that xlors dream team was rowetts at Derby...lots of pointless running around.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Jamie Ward was on sportscene last night,was absolutely adamant that the first player we need to hold on to next year was Martin....basically said we should still be building the team around him and wasn’t convinced about Marriott by the sound of it.

To be fair Ward was in a team when if Martin wasn’t playing the attack didn’t work because everything went through him.

So my take on Chris Martin is as follows.

He has been my favourite Rams player of the past five years.

He has short passing skills which no other current player (bar perhaps Rooney) possesses. I love his controlled aggression - Lord knows we could do with more of that!

However, we are building a young team and we are short of pace upfront which would support better wide players and also provide options for a quick forward pass from midfield into space.

I think sadly it’s time to let him go. It will be a sad day and I’m sad typing this but in our long-term interests we have to move on.

BUT

I would only let him go if we find a replacement.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Lol. That's like saying 'appears to be' pregnant! Either it is or it isn't.

But yeah I think it'll be time for a decision as we're so near setting up for next season and figures need to be calculated.

On 20/07/2020 at 08:49, RoyMac5 said:

This is just a patently not true, but it's an easy characterisation. The only thing Martin lacks is real pace - ala Vardy etc. He doesn't chase the channels or do a gengenpress because Derby don't. If you watched the games you'd see that he does 'press' but it's not in a headless chicken running after the ball way, it's closing down space to stop a pass, it can't be done on his own but then neither can pressing ala Nugent.

Which striker do you have in mind that is so different? 

I adore Chris Martin and his comeback this year has been great whether you are a fan or not but think he is going. Seemed grumpy on Saturday. If the offer is realistic surely means he will have been offered more elsewhere if he turns it down. Otherwise real risk for him In current climate. 

3 hours ago, Xlor said:

Have you done any more than the most basic research on this?

I've listed this before - As a team we're 20th on shots per game, 20th on shots (pg) inside the box and 23rd on shots (pg) in the six yard box

We're 8th on total goals scored, 19th on goals (pg) in 6 yard box, 13th on goals (pg) in penalty area and 1st on goals (pg) outside the box

Now I'm sure you will be a 'stats don't mean anything' person but these give some indications - We're not creating enough chances for our forwards, we're not getting the ball in the box enough and we're not getting the ball to Martin enough

Martin has 11 goals from an average shots per game of 1.1 - Over 2,008 mins of football that means he has had 24 shots

Mitrovic has 26 goals from an average of 3.8 shots per game - Over 3,500 mins of football he's had 148 shots

The problem isn't with Martin - The problem is we're not getting it to him anywhere near enough

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Did anybody notice Chris's demeanour and body language against Leeds? He was even pretty po-faced after scoring against the Dirties. Does this suggest that he feels he is at the end of the road at Derby? 

An added observation is that his 12 goals have come in 37 games, so even at the age of 32, and even though he has pnly been a bit-part player for us this season, he is still achieving a scoring rate of 1 in 3, which is a figure you expect from the top, top strikers.

Just saying.

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I adore Chris Martin and his comeback this year has been great whether you are a fan or not but think he is going. Seemed grumpy on Saturday.

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. 

I imagine he wouldn't be particularly keen on going mad after scoring a goal in a dead rubber against a reserve XI of a team celebrating winning the title. Similar to scoring in a pre-season friendly. 

Archived