Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe Pearce?

There's no 'Sporting Director' on the who's who - but there are two 'Directors'

Stephen Pearce & Roy McFarland

There isn't really anyone on the list who's doing the job of a Sporting Director under another name, so it must be one of those two. 

53 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hearing we’ve been interested since December reassures me. This isn’t a trigger finger reaction, we’ve obviously scouted him in depth.

But, but, but.....according to some we don't have a scouting department or if we do the current one is rubbish

On 20/01/2020 at 15:20, Nuwtfly said:

https://www.polsatsport.pl/wiadomosc/2020-01-20/kamil-jozwiak-zagra-z-rooneyem/

21-year-old winger who can play on the left or right. Blackburn are also interested, according to the above report.

I wonder how favourite friend of the forum Bris managed to scoop this one??  I guess the sun even shines on a dog's arse occasionally...

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I wonder how favourite friend of the forum Bris managed to scoop this one??  I guess the sun even shines on a dog's arse occasionally...

The proof was right there, the tweet was after that Polish article.

12 hours ago, Red_ram said:

Many many moons ago on another forum, long lost to the mists of time, there was a worried rumbling amongst the fan base that the ever popular enigma, known as Tommy Smith, was casting his eyes to pastures new. Ever the ITK, my eyes on the ground, working in his vocation as a Homebase replenishing technician, helped allay my fears with the golden nugget of insight that the aforementioned Tommy Smith had just frequented and purchased a whole patio set. Sensible mere mortals like yourself and I wouldn’t dream of buying a patio set before a regional relocation so surely the prodigal son was to say? I relayed said beam of anecdotal hope and the rest, as they say, is history. Written in the annals of time, the folklore is of the patio set test remains.

He left the next week.

Absolute pleasure to have you on the forum, never realised we had a celebrity in our midst. Your legacy is a treasured one.

Strength in depth if we sign Ibe too now. Jozwiak, Lawrence IBe? Knight and Whiticker. 

Seen some people argue it's too many, elsewhere. It absolutely isn't. Lot's of games, injures, suspensions, Covid. Players dropping in and out of form. The ability to bring on two front players who can win us the match. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Strength in depth if we sign Ibe too now. Jozwiak, Lawrence IBe? Knight and Whiticker. 

Seen some people argue it's too many, elsewhere. It absolutely isn't. Lot's of games, injures, suspensions, Covid. Players dropping in and out of form. The ability to bring on two front players who can win us the match. 

While the strength in depth would be nice I do think there are valid downsides to it especially if a new striker comes in as well. 

That would potentially leave us with Waghorn, Lawrence and Marriott out of the first team, are we in a position financially where we can have £10 mill + worth of players and the wages that go with it sat on the bench? All 3 of those are also in the latter stages of there contract with Waghorn and Marriott out of contract at the end of this season and Lawrence next season. Do we extend them presumably at a higher wage than we'd like for a backup or can we afford to take the hit to the P&S when we start to ammortise their value down?

It would also go against the club's current methodology and potentially block the path to the first team for some of our young players. Knight and Whittaker only seem to get minutes on the wing, will they even make the bench if we have that many options? What about the players coming through behind them, while they're not ready for the first team yet will they ever get a chance if we have 3 players in each position in front of them?

8 minutes ago, Ram Bam said:

While the strength in depth would be nice I do think there are valid downsides to it especially if a new striker comes in as well. 

That would potentially leave us with Waghorn, Lawrence and Marriott out of the first team, are we in a position financially where we can have £10 mill + worth of players and the wages that go with it sat on the bench? All 3 of those are also in the latter stages of there contract with Waghorn and Marriott out of contract at the end of this season and Lawrence next season. Do we extend them presumably at a higher wage than we'd like for a backup or can we afford to take the hit to the P&S when we start to ammortise their value down?

It would also go against the club's current methodology and potentially block the path to the first team for some of our young players. Knight and Whittaker only seem to get minutes on the wing, will they even make the bench if we have that many options? What about the players coming through behind them, while they're not ready for the first team yet will they ever get a chance if we have 3 players in each position in front of them?

I think your second paragraph potentially contradicts your first. If the players we have are the best we can get for that position then we offer a new contract, if they aren't as good as players we bring in or potential players coming through the youth system then they will be allowed to leave. Knight is a CM and should be rotating with Sibley with Holmes good enough for backup there. Whittaker is not ready to be a first choice wide player for us just yet, but he may progress quickly during the season with the right coaching and learning from players that are currently better than him in that position (Jozwiak, Ibe, Lawrence).

Up front is difficult. We need someone in that can be our new Voldemort19. Waghorn is versatile and our best striker at the moment, but currently injured and it will take a while for him to get back up to speed. Marriott isn't the player we hoped he was when we signed him, he will probably need to move on after his contract is up, unless he can prove the doubters (like me) wrong. JHI isn't seemingly ready, no squad number so far, but I also heard he has an injury too. He is hopefully one for the future though. We need a top quality player in that position who is ready to play now.

Depth is needed when you think about our options at the minute, the beginning of a long season, and we already are threadbare in key attacking areas. 

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

I think your second paragraph potentially contradicts your first. If the players we have are the best we can get for that position then we offer a new contract, if they aren't as good as players we bring in or potential players coming through the youth system then they will be allowed to leave. Knight is a CM and should be rotating with Sibley with Holmes good enough for backup there. Whittaker is not ready to be a first choice wide player for us just yet, but he may progress quickly during the season with the right coaching and learning from players that are currently better than him in that position (Jozwiak, Ibe, Lawrence).

Up front is difficult. We need someone in that can be our new Voldemort19. Waghorn is versatile and our best striker at the moment, but currently injured and it will take a while for him to get back up to speed. Marriott isn't the player we hoped he was when we signed him, he will probably need to move on after his contract is up, unless he can prove the doubters (like me) wrong. JHI isn't seemingly ready, no squad number so far, but I also heard he has an injury too. He is hopefully one for the future though. We need a top quality player in that position who is ready to play now.

Depth is needed when you think about our options at the minute, the beginning of a long season, and we already are threadbare in key attacking areas. 

I agree depth is needed but 4 players for 2 wing positions plus Knight and Whittaker seems overkill to me. Don't think there's a position for Knight in the centre with the current system, he's not a 10 or a holding mid. Both him and Whittaker also need to be involved regularly as the only way they'll improve is by playing matches. The club's ethos is to use the academy to its greatest potential, if we have expensive backups in every position when will the likes of these 2 ever get chance to get a game.

Also on your point of extending contracts would there not be a difference in what we can offer wage wise. Waghorn as an example was signed for a significant fee amid interest from other clubs, he's going to be on a decent wage and potentially one of the highest still at the club. Should we extend that contract if he is now going to be spending most of the time on the bench? You'd hope we'd try to lower the wage of his new offer based on his new position in the squad but if he doesn't accept or thinks he can get more money elsewhere and leaves for free at the end of the year we have to take the hit in the accounts. To me it'd make sense to recoup some of that money now and use the academy to supplement the squad.

Not saying we should get rid of anyone, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ibe and a striker come in we also see a fairly big name leave as well for these reasons.

8 minutes ago, Ram Bam said:

I agree depth is needed but 4 players for 2 wing positions plus Knight and Whittaker seems overkill to me. Don't think there's a position for Knight in the centre with the current system, he's not a 10 or a holding mid. Both him and Whittaker also need to be involved regularly as the only way they'll improve is by playing matches. The club's ethos is to use the academy to its greatest potential, if we have expensive backups in every position when will the likes of these 2 ever get chance to get a game.

Also on your point of extending contracts would there not be a difference in what we can offer wage wise. Waghorn as an example was signed for a significant fee amid interest from other clubs, he's going to be on a decent wage and potentially one of the highest still at the club. Should we extend that contract if he is now going to be spending most of the time on the bench? You'd hope we'd try to lower the wage of his new offer based on his new position in the squad but if he doesn't accept or thinks he can get more money elsewhere and leaves for free at the end of the year we have to take the hit in the accounts. To me it'd make sense to recoup some of that money now and use the academy to supplement the squad.

Not saying we should get rid of anyone, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ibe and a striker come in we also see a fairly big name leave as well for these reasons.

Waghorn and Marriott should be seen as CF first and wide players when needed. If we have Jozwiak, Lawrence, Whittaker and possibly Ibe then that's 4 players fighting for their preferred position. Knight isn't really a wide player but is doing an alright job there at the moment. He is definitely more suited to a central midfield role and the 4-2-3-1 that we've used mainly since Cocu took over isn't the best for his skill set, but he could play the 10 role or one of the deeper roles in that formation if needed.

It's a long season. Injuries will happen, form will come and go, players will get minutes. If we want to get in the promotion picture then we need quality all over the pitch and on the bench. Different options rather than similar players with one being better than the other.

I don't know much about Jozwiak apart from the youtube clips, but he certainly seems to be a different option from Whittaker and Lawrence. A strong ball carrier that isn't greedy and will help out defensively. If Ibe is anything like his last spell with us then we know he can produce some magic, but might go missing from time to time and isn't necessarily the sort of player to help with the defensive side of the gamee. Whittaker is raw, he has some real promise, but needs to add more to his game and he can hopefully learn from better players ahead of him in the team. He needs to be patient and work hard for his place. Lawrence also needs the pressure to perform, we know he has some excellent qualities, but people criticise him and it's hard to drop him when there is no real competition for his place. More people will hopefully focus his attention on playing to the best of his ability and holding onto his place in the team.

It's expensive yes, but that's the problem with the Championship. You need to compete with teams with parachute payments to get to the Prem and that means gambling and spending as close to FFP as possible.

With the academy. We shouldn't expect 4/5 players to come through each year and fill out the team, but we've been blessed with a good crop who have done well when called on so far. More players like this will come through in time, but they will need guidance from experienced pros to help them achieve their potential.

On 22/01/2020 at 09:38, Bubbles said:

Obviously going off topic here from the thread but just wanted to make a point regarding the Athletic.

It is not solely for "exclusive transfer news" or ITK or whatever.

It does however provide some great articles about the beautiful game we call football and gives us an insight on what goes on behind closed doors.

Overall if you have the spare 30 quid or whatever I'd recommend giving it a shot (I got a free trial then 50% off annual membership so I paid 29 pounds I think..)

But for anyone who thinks its basically going to be a haven of exclusive never before heard transfer gossip then you're dead wrong.

The articles on there make a great change from all the recycled dross from the Daily fail, s*n etc.

I'd second this. The articles on The Athletic are genuinely interesting and the journalism is excellent. Normally I have no interest whatsoever in the Premier League as reported in the papers or by dull magazines like FourFourTwo but some of the stuff I've read on the Athletic site has been very good. The Rams stuff has been very enlightening - proper grown up reporting. 

Just now, Rugby Ram said:

I would assume Jozwiak would mainly play on the left and Ibe on the right? Therefore Lawrence can provide competition for both but also allows him to play and compete with Sibley at CAM where I think he plays better. Gives us lots of options anyway

Jozwiak Ibe and Lawrence as an attacking 3 behind the striker is a mouthwatering prospect. 

Archived