v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 minute ago, Derbyram1 said:

I get all the academy love in but if people think Sibley is first team ready then they clearly weren’t watching the u23s last night.

Probably our worst player on the pitch tbh.

been 2 weeks since New Years and you're still on the sesh, need to relax pal

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Squid said:

been 2 weeks since New Years and you're still on the sesh, need to relax pal

Was at the game and can honestly say he did very little in comparison to the rest of the team.

Was outshone in midfield by J Brown who i was impressed with.

1 minute ago, Derbyram1 said:

Was at the game and can honestly say he did very little in comparison to the rest of the team.

Was outshone in midfield by J Brown who i was impressed with.

I must say Jordan was immense yesterday, but Sibleys been shining in every u23 game he's played in.

Just now, Squid said:

I must say Jordan was immense yesterday, but Sibleys been shining in every u23 game he's played in.

Just thought he got a bit lost last night.

Whittaker apart from his goal was quiet, extremely impressed with Ebosele who is rapid.

2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Whittaker apart from his goal was quiet, extremely impressed with Ebosele who is rapid.

I commented on Whittaker's apparent lack of confidence shortly before he scored. Oops.

Having watched Ebosele several times, he is blisteringly fast and has exceptional control with the ball at his feet, dancing past opposition players at will, but his end product still needs a lot of work, whether that be a shot, a cross or a properly-weighted pass to a colleague. A player with a great deal of potential, though, and still very young.

15 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

I commented on Whittaker's apparent lack of confidence shortly before he scored. Oops.

Having watched Ebosele several times, he is blisteringly fast and has exceptional control with the ball at his feet, dancing past opposition players at will, but his end product still needs a lot of work, whether that be a shot, a cross or a properly-weighted pass to a colleague. A player with a great deal of potential, though, and still very young.

Well he would be in good company if he can’t cross because nobody else does either - occasionally Bogle gets one towards one of our players as well as Malone or Lowe which highlights that it’s not Lawrence or jafoozon who actually play where we should be crossing from - very frustrating- and we moan about our centre forwards not being good enough - give them the correct supply 

As far as it is possible to do so with fitness, I’d revert back to the team that won the last two home games.  This would primarily be returning Wisdom to the team (unlucky to be left out) and leaving Lawrence out... if he can (assume Marriott’s fitness will be key).

31 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he would be in good company if he can’t cross because nobody else does either - occasionally Bogle gets one towards one of our players as well as Malone or Lowe which highlights that it’s not Lawrence or jafoozon who actually play where we should be crossing from - very frustrating- and we moan about our centre forwards not being good enough - give them the correct supply 

Well in most systems nowadays, it's the full backs who're most responsible for crossing. Interestingly, Lawrence puts in more crosses per game than any other player except for Bird (6 crosses in 4 games) and Rooney (3 crosses in 2 games)

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well in most systems nowadays, it's the full backs who're most responsible for crossing. Interestingly, Lawrence puts in more crosses per game than any other player except for Bird (6 crosses in 4 games) and Rooney (3 crosses in 2 games)

Those stats somewhat meaningless considering Bird takes corners, Lawrence takes corners & Rooney takes attacking free kicks.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How dare you say something positive on this forum about Tom Lawrence, please remember he is scapegoat No.1! ?

GK- Ravas (because why not - he's certainly tall)

RB - Bogle (just edging out Wisdom)

RCB - Davies

LCB - Clarke

LB - Lowe

DM - Bielik (or Bird, if Bielik is properly crocked)

CM - Rooney

RAM - Knight

CAM - Holmes

LAM - Lawrence

ST - Martin

3 attacking midfielders to be fairly fluid and change around a bit.

Bielik/Bird protecting the back 4, Rooney slightly further forward as a playmaker.

I genuinely think we need to persist with Lawrence - we talk about his potential, and if he's going to realise that, he's going to have to play. I think with Rooney behind and Martin ahead.... he could maybe unleash some of that potential.

Subs: Goalkeepers to draw straws, Wisdom, Malone, Bird (or Huddlestone), Sibley, Waghorn, Marriott (or Whittaker if he's not fit)

When's Shinnie back?

1 hour ago, erathirea said:

GK- Ravas (because why not - he's certainly tall)

RB - Bogle (just edging out Wisdom)

RCB - Davies

LCB - Clarke

LB - Lowe

DM - Bielik (or Bird, if Bielik is properly crocked)

CM - Rooney

RAM - Knight

CAM - Holmes

LAM - Lawrence

ST - Martin

3 attacking midfielders to be fairly fluid and change around a bit.

Bielik/Bird protecting the back 4, Rooney slightly further forward as a playmaker.

I genuinely think we need to persist with Lawrence - we talk about his potential, and if he's going to realise that, he's going to have to play. I think with Rooney behind and Martin ahead.... he could maybe unleash some of that potential.

Subs: Goalkeepers to draw straws, Wisdom, Malone, Bird (or Huddlestone), Sibley, Waghorn, Marriott (or Whittaker if he's not fit)

When's Shinnie back?

Bielek is out with long term knee injury.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Those stats somewhat meaningless considering Bird takes corners, Lawrence takes corners & Rooney takes attacking free kicks.

Corners and freekicks don't count as crosses, otherwise we'd see Lawrence with a much higher score than 0.9. After looking into it, the "crosses per game" is actually accurate crosses per game.

Here are the numbers for crosses and corners from most of our players used out wide, and including Bird and Rooney.

Lawrence - 21/85 crosses, 18/60 corners (23 apps)
Bogle - 19/54 crosses (19 apps)
Lowe - 15/50 crosses, 1 corner (21 app)
Malone - 8/49 crosses (16 apps)
Holmes - 11/36 crosses, 5 corners (22 apps)
Waghorn- 5/31 crosses, 5/13 corners (27 apps)
Jozefzoon - 0/22 crosses (10 apps)
Bird - 6/18 crosses, 3/9 corners (4 apps)
Knight - 0/14 crosses (16 apps)
Rooney - 3/3 crosses
Wisdom - 1/9 crosses (6 apps)

Lawrence is miles ahead of any other player for attempted crosses (about 30th in the league) and has the 5th highest success rate.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most people might ask who he is crossing to then as very few seem to arrive at our players in the penalty box 

I wonder if Rooney has picked up an injury of some sort? He's not featured in any of the training pictures posted recently (8 in total I believe) in the lead up to the Hull game. As you'd probably expect, since he signed the social media team have struggled to go 5 minutes without posting about him so it seems unusual for him not to feature in any of this recent stuff.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I wonder if Rooney has picked up an injury of some sort? He's not featured in any of the training pictures posted recently (8 in total I believe) in the lead up to the Hull game. As you'd probably expect, since he signed the social media team have struggled to go 5 minutes without posting about him so it seems unusual for him not to feature in any of this recent stuff.

He's played 3 90 mins as well since new year, so I wouldn't be surprised i he needs a rest, we'll probably get an idea tomorrow when Cocu gives his press conference, hopefully he just says "we have many players with good qualities and we think the team will be good against Hull at home whoever plays"

But you're probably right, just because that's how this season is gonna be.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's played 3 90 mins as well since new year, so I wouldn't be surprised i he needs a rest, we'll probably get an idea tomorrow when Cocu gives his press conference, hopefully he just says "we have many players with good qualities and we think the team will be good against Hull at home whoever plays"

But you're probably right, just because that's how this season is gonna be.

I was watching the Robbie Savage interview with RamsTV earlier and he mentioned Clough used to give him near enough whole weeks off at a time and told him to just come in on the Friday for the tactical meetings, so I did think maybe Rooney had been given the same luxury by Cocu. But then I remembered he's also a coach so it would be a little strange for him to be home resting rather than helping with training, even if he needed a rest from the physical side of things.  

Archived